PDA

View Full Version : Fish sensitivities to medications

LobsterOfJustice
03/16/2016, 07:10 AM
I would like to work on putting together a consolidated list of known sensitivities to medications. Please report well known or personal experiences with certain types of fish being sensitive to certain medications, dips, or treatment (including things like hyposalinity or freshwater dips).

I will start:

Angels: copper
Wrasses: prazipro, CP

Deinonych
03/16/2016, 07:45 AM
IMO, a number of fish can exhibit sensitivity to copper. I've personally observed it in tangs, foxfaces, wrasses and blennies. It's a medication that should really be phased out of use. There are far more effective treatments for ich (TTM) and velvet (CP) at our disposal now.

snorvich
03/16/2016, 08:17 AM
IMO, a number of fish can exhibit sensitivity to copper. I've personally observed it in tangs, foxfaces, wrasses and blennies. It's a medication that should really be phased out of use. There are far more effective treatments for ich (TTM) and velvet (CP) at our disposal now.

Exactly.

ThRoewer
03/16/2016, 04:55 PM
+1 on ditching copper - it's an outdated "cure"

I have seen fish react so badly to PraziPro that I had to stop treatment.

With CP it has to be considered that it is deadly to some fish: pipefish, seahorses and their relatives as well as some, if not all, wrasses.

LobsterOfJustice
03/16/2016, 07:32 PM

What kinds of fish?

With CP it has to be considered that it is deadly to some fish: pipefish, seahorses and their relatives as well as some, if not all, wrasses.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

ThRoewer
03/16/2016, 09:19 PM
What kinds of fish?

Primarily A. Percula, but the Gramma loreto and Calloplesiops altivelis I had in that tank didn't like it either.
I suspect this wasn't a species specific reaction but rather systemic issue.

Deinonych
03/17/2016, 01:42 PM

One of my flasher wrasses (P. cyaneus) reacted really poorly to Prazipro when he was in QT. He became extremely reclusive to the point where I didn't think he was going to make it. I ended up doing only one round of Prazi as a result. Fortunately, he never showed any signs of flukes in QT so I felt comfortable limiting the treatment to one round. Only other time I've seen a poor reaction (another flasher wrasse) was when I accidentally overdosed the tank.

Fish Biscuit
03/17/2016, 02:57 PM
I just dosed prazipro into my display twice this week & had no issues with anything. Inhabitants are a helfrichi firefish, possum wrasse, mandarin, randall goby, & barnacle blenny. All lps, acros, shrimp, snails, & hermits were also unaffected.

I recently lost a flasher wrasse what I suspected to be flukes & didn't want to lose everything by not treating & having them struggle later.

LobsterOfJustice
03/17/2016, 05:09 PM
One of my flasher wrasses (P. cyaneus) reacted really poorly to Prazipro when he was in QT. He became extremely reclusive to the point where I didn't think he was going to make it. I ended up doing only one round of Prazi as a result. Fortunately, he never showed any signs of flukes in QT so I felt comfortable limiting the treatment to one round. Only other time I've seen a poor reaction (another flasher wrasse) was when I accidentally overdosed the tank.

I dosed my DT 4 separate times with a standard dose of PraziPro. Each time the pintail wrasse and leopard wrasse went MIA for a day after dosing. Anemones didn't seem to like it either, but all other fish (including a cleaner wrasse) acted fine.

LobsterOfJustice
03/18/2016, 01:30 PM
Anyone have any sensitivity information regarding:

Furan/Bifuran+/Nitrofuracin Green?

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue?

Formalin?

Metronidazole?

ThRoewer
03/18/2016, 01:47 PM
Never had any adverse reaction of fish to formalin if the dosage is right and the water well aerated. And I dipped a lot of fish from angelfish to pipefish

Malachite green is not very efficient and Methylene blue may cause liver damage or other issues, so I would advise against its use aside from short dips maybe.

krullshards
03/19/2016, 07:27 AM
Wrasse are sensitive to Prazi? I've always heard it's one of the safest meds to use... Hmm. What's the best way to treat wrasses that are suspected to have flukes?

Also, what is CP?

LobsterOfJustice
03/19/2016, 07:40 AM
Wrasse are sensitive to Prazi? I've always heard it's one of the safest meds to use... Hmm. What's the best way to treat wrasses that are suspected to have flukes?

Also, what is CP?

Chloroquine Phosphate... I was on my phone and didn't feel like typing it out haha.

Deinonych
03/19/2016, 09:07 AM

Not all wrasses. I think they are just more likely to be sensitive. I have two other wrasses (a McCosker's Flasher and an Exquisite Fairy) that went through two rounds of prazi during QT with absolutely no reaction.

Sk8r
03/19/2016, 09:27 AM
x3 to phasing out copper. Too much bad with that one.

CoralsAddiction
03/19/2016, 09:56 AM
Just a side note:
User error such as over/under dose oftentimes is a significant factor in copper treatment failure just like with hypo.

LobsterOfJustice
04/01/2016, 08:32 AM
Bump...

Any issues treating wrasses with nitrofuracin green or bifuran +?

Particularly concerned about a few wrasses I have since it seems like they are sensitive to other popular medications.