PDA

View Full Version : What are these on my millepora when dipped?

Trevor40
03/16/2016, 09:25 AM
This coral just came back from being quarantine and treated for aefw. The coral was dipped at least once a week for about 6 weeks.

I brought the coral home and did one final dip in an iodine solution. I am wondering if the coral still have aefw or there could be something else that crawled out of it when dipped.

Trevor40
03/16/2016, 09:27 AM
Hopefully that picture is big enough to see what I am talking about.

Trevor40
03/16/2016, 09:37 AM

joshky
03/16/2016, 11:54 AM
Last picture looks like mesenterial filaments, maybe?

Trevor40
03/16/2016, 12:05 PM

I appreciate the reply. That definitely is a possibility.

Trevor40
03/16/2016, 12:07 PM
Wouldn't the mesenterial filaments be more string?

joshky
03/16/2016, 12:12 PM
Yes and no, it depends on how much they are spilling out. I've dropped a few acros in the past during placement, the mesenterial filaments came out and were just kind of small balls of "string".

SPS911
03/16/2016, 02:42 PM

I would agree. Doesn't look like anything to worry about.

sahin
03/16/2016, 05:45 PM
Trevor I've followed your tank on YT. Myself having battled aefw many times and beaten them nearly 2 years ago I cannot see any obvious signs on the pics.

Trevor40
03/17/2016, 08:53 AM
Trevor I've followed your tank on YT. Myself having battled aefw many times and beaten them nearly 2 years ago I cannot see any obvious signs on the pics.

Thanks for the input, Sahin. This is the second battle I have had with aefw and I think I will lose it if they are still in my tank. I pulled all the acros out for over 8 weeks and all the corals were dipped for 6 weeks. I just want my sticks to reach their potential of color and growth without being used as a chew toy!

sahin
03/18/2016, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the input, Sahin. This is the second battle I have had with aefw and I think I will lose it if they are still in my tank. I pulled all the acros out for over 8 weeks and all the corals were dipped for 6 weeks. I just want my sticks to reach their potential of color and growth without being used as a chew toy!

Did you find AEFW's after the 2nd & 3rd dips? The trick to eradicating AEFW's is to get all the adults on the first and 2nd dip. And any eggs on the first dip. Getting all the eggs on the first dip ensures no new hatchlings. With at least 4 successful dips and finding no new eggs means you likely got them for good.

I dipped and treated for 3 months though. First month of dipping was tough...mentally and physically. But after that I work out a good routine and did it fine. Now coming more than 1.5 years I am 100% sure I am free of them.

Trevor40
03/18/2016, 03:05 PM
Did you find AEFW's after the 2nd & 3rd dips? The trick to eradicating AEFW's is to get all the adults on the first and 2nd dip. And any eggs on the first dip. Getting all the eggs on the first dip ensures no new hatchlings. With at least 4 successful dips and finding no new eggs means you likely got them for good.

I dipped and treated for 3 months though. First month of dipping was tough...mentally and physically. But after that I work out a good routine and did it fine. Now coming more than 1.5 years I am 100% sure I am free of them.

Luckily I had a friend that dipped them for me as he was going through the same problem. He reported that he couldn't find any aefw after the first dip. Unfortunately I lost a few prices acros in the process that will be costly to buy again but I am very happy to have the acros back that I do have. :lolspin:

I am crossing my fingers that they are truly eradicated from my system. It makes me very nervous to add new sps as I do not have a QT tank set up yet.