PDA

View Full Version : To RODI or not RODI?

hann1bal
03/16/2016, 10:53 AM
Just curious on some of your thoughts. I have a 75 gallon reef tank with 20 gallon sump/refugium and already spent so much. Is an RODI with TDS meter (around $200) a good investment.

OR

do most of you recommend just lugging water from the LFS and mix it yourself. Seems like alot of money and with filter changes it more. I cant see it ever paying for itself - is it just there a benefit im missing.

P.S. Im gonna buy it regardless - im an addict! :)

dbenenh0
03/16/2016, 10:58 AM
I'm just starting my tank and its a 75 gal. as well. I couldn't imagine making a trip(s) to the LFS hauling around 90 gallons of water. That's either a lot of trips or buckets lol.

Having never bought water what does it typically cost for RODI water or SW from the LFS?

I got lucky and bought a used tank and the guy threw in an RODI unit

MMacro
03/16/2016, 10:59 AM
YES.
My RODI system is probably the best thing that I have ever bought for my tank. Less algae, more coral. And trust me lugging water from your lfs to your house is a pain.

sde1500
03/16/2016, 11:00 AM
Pays for itself real quick if you compare buying water. If you haven't filled the tank yet then it pays for itself even faster.

new_world_disor
03/16/2016, 11:07 AM
You can get a ro/di unit for under £50 on ebay these days. Never used a tds meter in ten years. Just change the filters out every six months. Still cheaper and easier than lfs stuff!

nvladik
03/16/2016, 11:28 AM
I'd suggest you calculate the costs, see at what point of time RODI will pay for itself, and make a call then.

biglurr54
03/16/2016, 01:05 PM
I couldn't justify an rodi for my 7 gallon nano that I kept at work. I hated buying the water. Get a rodi. After having one then not having one I will never go with out one. Even for a 7 gallon nano. The first thing I bought when I started my new build to get back in the hobby was an rodi off craigslist. Got the unit for 20 bucks. 45 for filters and a new membrane. I now have 125 gpd of nice clean water when ever I want.

thegrun
03/16/2016, 01:46 PM
Not only does it save you money making water, it will save you a fortune in impulse buys at your LFS!

GimpyFin
03/16/2016, 02:35 PM
One of the best things you can invest in.

Brieninsac
03/16/2016, 02:53 PM
When you think about what you've spent on your system why not spend a couple hundred dollars more. The convenience will make up for it in no time.

gi_eric22
03/16/2016, 02:59 PM
Ro/di so much easier to do then lugging buckets in and out of your store

MidwestReefa
03/16/2016, 03:01 PM
RODI is pretty essential. Sure you can get it from the LFS, but that requires time, and fuel. Not to mention lugging water around!

The convenience of being able to make it at home is worth the price in itself. I got mine from a forum sponsor here, (Air, Water & Ice), because they are local to me and could not be happier!

Some things to think about, in the end the decision is yours.

WiDataTech
03/16/2016, 03:10 PM
I can't imagine the hassle it would be without one. You would need what, about 18-5gal pails to start? Another 2 or 3 pails each water change. Or if you need an unexpected qt/ht. I think they pay for themselves immediately.

CStrickland
03/16/2016, 04:14 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anybody post "oh man, I wish I never bought a rodi! It was a big mistake!"

adw
03/16/2016, 04:35 PM
What they said

serbusfish
03/16/2016, 04:44 PM
You can get a ro/di unit for under £50 on ebay these days. Never used a tds meter in ten years. Just change the filters out every six months. Still cheaper and easier than lfs stuff!

How do you know when your DI is spent if you dont test TDS? DI runs out faster than the other filters in most cases. My tapwater TDS before DI is 9 and im changing my DI every couple of months usually.

boshk
03/16/2016, 04:52 PM
Just curious on some of your thoughts. I have a 75 gallon reef tank with 20 gallon sump/refugium and already spent so much. Is an RODI with TDS meter (around $200) a good investment.

OR

do most of you recommend just lugging water from the LFS and mix it yourself. Seems like alot of money and with filter changes it more. I cant see it ever paying for itself - is it just there a benefit im missing.

P.S. Im gonna buy it regardless - im an addict! :)

I think its a great investment, but of course it depends if you have the room for it.

My tank is half your size and I just purchased RODI.

Considerations:

You have a 95 gallon tank.

1) 10% water change is around 10 gallons a week
2) Access to RODI water for topping off
3) Emergency use.....50% water change maybe?
4) Making RODI takes time, require space for storage tanks/Brute containers
5) Waste water considerations....separate container for washing clothes, car, gardening etc (can reduce the waste by 1/2 with Saver kit, basically 2nd RO membrane)
6) You can plump your RODI to allow you access to RO water for drinking IF you believe in that. (you CANNOT drink the RODI water though)
7) RO membrane last for a couple of year.....on average
8) filters last around 6 months depending on your water supply tds (TDS meter will tell you when you need to change by the numbers)
9) DI resin.....no idea

hope it helps

I believe BRS and Spectrapure are both really good.
Built-in Dual TDS meter are very useful, you just flick the switch to see both tds on RO water and final RODI water (which should be 0).

Buying one separately would cost you $32, a simple handheld one is $20 but it means you can test anything, tap water, RO section, RODI final water, water in your containers, your mate's. You would like I said in point 6 need to DIY your unit to allow you to test the RO water, easy if you plan to use it for drinking.

gone fishin
03/16/2016, 04:57 PM
If you live in a cold winter area lugging buckets of water over ice and snow is not a fun time. A RO/DI is worth every penny.

new_world_disor
03/16/2016, 04:58 PM
No way of checking without a tds. But never had any issues with the water being done thay way in last several tanks. Fairly sure natural sea water isn't tds free

travis9791
03/16/2016, 05:05 PM
I have good luck with my small RODI unit from Amazon. As long as you have patience. The initial fillup was painfull

boshk
03/16/2016, 05:28 PM
I have good luck with my small RODI unit from Amazon. As long as you have patience. The initial fillup was painfull

Agree, the initial fillup was a pain. Mine is only a 50GPD unit for a 45G tank.

I aquascaped, filled DT with just enough saltwater to cover rock (70%)
Next day continue making saltwater for the remaining DT and then sump filling.

I don't know how you guys deal with 100-500G tanks.
Just producing the RODI water, then having to heat it, then mix salt then carry or pipe it to the tank......

smeesh726
03/16/2016, 06:00 PM
One of the best things you can invest in.

Agreed. Definitely worth the money!

bif24701
03/16/2016, 06:27 PM
RO/DI is not optional IMHO

Cancun
03/16/2016, 09:13 PM
Hi! I have had my 80 gallon up and running for 3 yrs....I just bought a 6 stage RO/DI unit last month...and TDS meter. Best investment! My LFS store sells RODI water for a buck a gallon. But it is grest to have my own...totally worth it!!!

Cancun
03/16/2016, 09:16 PM
Hi! I have had my 80 gallon up and running for 3 yrs....I just bought a 6 stage RO/DI unit last month...and TDS meter. Best investment! My LFS store sells RODI water for a buck a gallon. But it is grest to have my own...totally worth it!!!

hotdogmj71
03/16/2016, 10:10 PM
You might check with your LFS, they may occasionally get used systems. Could save you a little money. I got a used 75gpd for $75 & a TDS meter on Amazon was around $20.

Mtaters
03/16/2016, 10:38 PM
With a tank that size I couldn't imagine lugging all those water jugs around from the LFS. Convenience is everything

hann1bal
03/17/2016, 07:56 AM
Your all right. I have spent thousands of dollars on my aquarium so far and such a small investment could destroy everything in an emergency situation.

SIDE NOTE: I started this hobby but my wife has probably fell in love with it more than me. She LOVES watching things like our Blasto catch mysis and contort his body to get it into his mouth. She will just sit and watch the tank for hours!

Thanks again for such a great forum.

Cphelpsss
03/17/2016, 08:16 AM
i recently bit the bullet and got myself a BRS rodi 4 stage with tds meter and all that... prob the same one youre looking at getting. 75gpd... since i had my setup, started as a 55g, trying to get that one full was a nightmare. every time myself or my wife went to the store, we picked up gallons and gallons of distilled/purified water. by the time i was able to completely fill the tank, we had a TON of water jugs sitting everywhere over the course of 3 weeks. topping off water, had to go to the store and get water. it became a hassle. when i upgraded to my 90 gallon, the only thing i have now is my 30 gallon bucket for water, and the rodi filter that has the quick release connection from my kitchen sink. do i think its worth it? the hassle alone of having to lug gallon jugs around is more than enough worth it to me. plus water top offs/changes are easier. the other perk, is that living in the apartment that i live in, water is included in my rent...so theres no utility fee for water. the only thing i need to buy is the salt. and having a tank that evaporates about 2 gallons a day, its pretty nice.

id say do it. youll see very quickly how much your time is worth alone to not have to collect water every other day from the store. lol. and also, at least you know the water youre putting in the tank is 100% pure.

hann1bal
03/17/2016, 09:34 AM
Good Points.

Another question I had is how accurate are the GPD times? Is it marketing or can i expect lets say 3.175 Gallons/hour from a 75GPD and 3.75 gallons/hour from a 90 GPD?

Basically, I am looking at the 75 GPD BRS but is it something you were like damn I wish I would have spent a little more for the 90 or 100 GPD, etc. I dont think it should matter but just curious.

Greybeard
03/17/2016, 09:51 AM
I have a small 60g tank, justified buying a good quality RODI in this manner:

My water supply is a well. Generally, it's good water, safe, but not always real tasty. We buy a lot of bottled water. Just tastes better. I purchased a 'Dual Home/Reef' system from AirWaterIce. Mounted the system in a small cabinet on the wall directly behind my kitchen sink, with a 5g pressure tank under the sink. Routed pressurized RO water to a drinking water tap at the kitchen sink, and split it to feed the drinking water dispenser and ice maker in the fridge. Presto. No more bottled water.

Routed a tube from the DI side, under the house, and came up into my aquarium stand. Line T's there, runs to a manual valve plumbed to a float valve in my ATO reservoir. When the reservoir gets low, I open the valve, it fills until it hits the float valve, and I turn the valve off. From the other side of the T in my stand, I have a 8' length of hose with a manual valve on it. When I need water for a water change, or whatever, I just pull out some hose, and fill my container. Simple, clean, efficient... just plain works. No carrying of buckets, driving to the LFS (which in my case is an hour away...). Easy.

Worth the cost? You bet.

kmbyrnes
03/19/2016, 06:59 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22415386&postcount=31

No need to justify the cost, although the math is easy to do.
Last month, my cost for water was .9 cents/gallon, taxes and sewage fees included. At an assumed 4:1 waster ratio, that means my RO/Di is 4.5 cents per usable gallon.

Your own RO/DI frees you from lugging water from the LFS. You will always have fresh water on hand for an emergency and most importantly, you will be in control of your water quality. Your tanks depend on you to provide them the best water available.

CStrickland
03/19/2016, 10:03 AM
Another question I had is how accurate are the GPD times? Is it marketing or can i expect lets say 3.175 Gallons/hour from a 75GPD and 3.75 gallons/hour from a 90 GPD?

The times are for perfect conditions. If your water pressure is less than 80psi or your water is cold, it goes down pretty quick. I'm getting like 2.something gph out of my 90 in the winter cause my waters very cold.

Bent
03/19/2016, 10:38 AM
I tried for years using tap water. It sucked.

I tried for years buying RO water. It sucked.

I wouldn't do either ever again.

fity2pounder
03/20/2016, 02:57 PM
A must have!!

Buckeye Hydro
04/08/2016, 03:29 PM

Basically, I am looking at the 75 GPD BRS but is it something you were like damn I wish I would have spent a little more for the 90 or 100 GPD, etc. I dont think it should matter but just curious.

You can use the calculator (link on our homepage) to plug in your water temperature and your water pressure - it will show you what you shuould get from your membrane in terms of gpd.

The cost difference between, 24, 36, 50, 7, 100, 150, and 200 gpd is minimal. Considerations other than cost should drive this decision.

Also - there is no "90 gpd" membrane. It is a relabeled 75 gpd membrane.

Russ