PDA

View Full Version : My TBS Liverock Journey

Neilmu
03/18/2016, 07:50 AM
Rich shipped 7 boxes liverock via Delta Thurs morning direct flight to JFK. Headed to JFK Delta cargo after work. Arrived at 6:00pm to pick up. This is my 1st part of 180g package. Here are some pics of the journey. Rock was in the tank by 9:00 and already clearing up by 10:00. Can't wait for the cycle to begin and end so I can get the 2nd part.

Neilmu
03/18/2016, 07:54 AM
more pics

Neilmu
03/18/2016, 08:40 AM
and more pics. Journey was a piece of cake. I bought from Rich about 15 years ago when I started my first reef tank (72g). Can't ask for better hands on service, packing and communication. Thanks Rich

rdercole
03/20/2016, 07:51 AM
looks great, how many pounds of rock are in the tank, i am setting up a 75 gallon tank and am trying to see how many pounds to order,

Neilmu
03/20/2016, 11:22 AM
I bought the 180g package. Comes with 360lbs of rock. 1st shipment had around 200lbs. Should have balance of rock next week. Rock is full of life. Just found a 3" mantis. Going to him happy with some raw shrimp

drillsar
03/23/2016, 05:47 PM
I am about to order my package my tank is already cycled and going to go with the 15lb package. My question is would it be best to put the rock in a separate container to make sure I don't release ammonia to main tank? And just put the critters in the package in my main? I am getting the package all at once. Also I'm thinking of putting in another container to see any bad hitchhikers that came along. How you get the mantis out of your rock? I am curious.

Neilmu
03/24/2016, 10:59 AM
I am about to order my package my tank is already cycled and going to go with the 15lb package. My question is would it be best to put the rock in a separate container to make sure I don't release ammonia to main tank? And just put the critters in the package in my main? I am getting the package all at once. Also I'm thinking of putting in another container to see any bad hitchhikers that came along. How you get the mantis out of your rock? I am curious.

No ammonia issues with TBS live rock and sand. Rich ships it in water and you're getting it so quickly after he harvests it from the Gulf there's no time for the life to die off which is what causes the ammonia issues. This is true live rock. My sand has been in the tank for 2 weeks and the rock 1 week with no sign of any ammonia. Getting my second shipment tonight from JFK. Mantis is still playing around in my DT. It's a wennerae mantis. See pics. Rich says it's one of the more docile types. I've been watching him travel between rocks and burrow in the sand. He's a character. Fed him some raw shrimp. I may try to capture him and put him in the fuge once I set it up. Will try the bottle method to capture him. Hopefully that will work.

figuerres
04/02/2016, 03:50 PM

My view on mantis is let them be, I have some in my tank and they have not killed any fish that I can identify, yes they will hunt some snails but they can also hunt gorilla crabs and other things. If you provide a little extra food for them they really are cool extras.
I have all kinds of pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp, small blue chrome and tiny hermit crabs, it's all good.

Run4Fun
04/03/2016, 09:53 AM
Do you have a pic with all 360lbs in the tank? I'm planning to order the package and am trying to get a feel for how much to order. My DT is 108g, sump is 31g

Neilmu
04/05/2016, 01:02 PM
Do you have a pic with all 360lbs in the tank? I'm planning to order the package and am trying to get a feel for how much to order. My DT is 108g, sump is 31g

Here's the tank with all the rock. I did put 2-3 smaller pieces in my fuge.

Neilmu
04/05/2016, 01:08 PM
My view on mantis is let them be, I have some in my tank and they have not killed any fish that I can identify, yes they will hunt some snails but they can also hunt gorilla crabs and other things. If you provide a little extra food for them they really are cool extras.
I have all kinds of pistol shrimp, peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp, small blue chrome and tiny hermit crabs, it's all good.

Appreciate your insight. I have at least 3 maybe 4 mantis shrimp that came with the rock. They've been hiding but now they're starting to pop out a bit. The larger one is very brave. He comes out all the time moving from one rock to another. I've been able to feed 2 of them some raw shrimp. Hopefully that will keep them happy.

Devaji108
04/05/2016, 02:16 PM
nice! good to see some live pukani coming form Richard...
beautiful tank BTW..

liverock
04/05/2016, 04:15 PM
nice! good to see some live pukani coming form Richard...
beautiful tank BTW..

Yup...real live pukani...full of life and shipped to you underwater so you end up with the only real live pukani that has no issues when you get it....just take it out of the box, and add to your tank...no curing no muss and no fuss...and at a price way under imported pukani that is out of the water for many days and is a real pain to deal with once you do finally get it, no curing...no smells...and no endless water changes.....and a happy wife LOL....:lolspin:

Pictures here of some I harvested last month that is Neilmu's tank!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2568132

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Neilmu
04/05/2016, 05:52 PM
Here's the tank with all the rock. I did put 2-3 smaller pieces in my fuge.

Here's the pic

wooglin
04/06/2016, 10:22 AM
Gorgeous tank!!!!! Well done.

Neilmu
04/06/2016, 12:03 PM
Gorgeous tank!!!!! Well done.

Thank you

Neilmu
04/10/2016, 10:18 AM
tanks been running just over 3 weeks. Its incredible how much life came along with TBS rock. From the sponges to barnacles to the porclean crabs, pistol shrimp and of course at least 3 mantis shrimp. I'm still feeding them raw shrimp and they love it. Here are some more pics from different angles.

Neilmu
04/10/2016, 10:20 AM
a couple of more pics

figuerres
04/20/2016, 08:01 PM
Mantis and pistol shrimps have personality, and gulf mantis I have seen had in tanks have not been a problem for me. A real reef has all kinds of critters.

GXPKY
04/20/2016, 10:16 PM
I have a friend with 6 reef tanks set up and all of his tanks have mantis. 3 are 29 gallon biocubes and he said they have never bothered anything, he feeds them shrimp and the dudes are awesome to watch...I was amazed as I had heard for the last 8 years ive been in the hobby how aggressive they are yet what he was telling me was totally opposite of that.

figuerres
04/21/2016, 01:44 AM
I have a friend with 6 reef tanks set up and all of his tanks have mantis. 3 are 29 gallon biocubes and he said they have never bothered anything, he feeds them shrimp and the dudes are awesome to watch...I was amazed as I had heard for the last 8 years ive been in the hobby how aggressive they are yet what he was telling me was totally opposite of that.

Yeah, it's that they are predatory so of course if they are hungry they can grab a fish or a hermit etch... but look at what we do with pet cats and dogs... they can hunt and kill but we keep them in our homes and few of them turn on us.
But the pit bull got such a bad rep folks forget that they can be a great family dog if they were raised right and socialized right.

Run4Fun
04/21/2016, 06:42 PM
Here's the pic

Awesome setup!

mokeyz
04/24/2016, 10:15 PM
Mantis and pistol shrimps have personality, and gulf mantis I have seen had in tanks have not been a problem for me. A real reef has all kinds of critters.

always happy to find a reefer who doesn't go out of their way to kill amazing critters. so tired of "get it out", "flush it", "stab it", "kill it"...

Margoren
04/25/2016, 12:12 PM
We still have the mantis we got from tbs 2 years ago. It's a model citizen, better behaved than most of my fish and my family's favorite aquarium pet. He is out and about all day, shares his 2 homes (cave-tunnel) with fish, a possum wrasse and a gramma.