PDA

View Full Version : Foam Mat v. Rubber Mat to protect against electrocution

Dundermifflin
03/19/2016, 09:18 AM
For purposes of protecting against electrocution, will a foam mat serve the same purpose as a rubber mat when placed on a concrete floor in the tank room?

CStrickland
03/19/2016, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't think that any kind of mat on the floor is suitable protection against electrocution.

mgraf
03/20/2016, 04:28 AM
Get a GFCI. Really the only way to protect yourself and OTHERS, who may not be aware of the potential dangers. I ran a long time without. If I'm dumb enough, I guess it's one thing but, if one of my kiddos got zapped! You can get one that plugs into standard outlet. I bought a power strip with 6 individual switched outlets. Bought three GFCI plug in outlets. That way I could isolate things so if a power head tripped one, the other devices would continue to run. Also, they have them so they will automatically reset in case of power failure. I think I had just over 50 bucks in it. Small price for a little piece of mind.

kmbyrnes
03/20/2016, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't count on it as primary protection. That said, anything that doesn't conduct electricity and provides are barrier to ground is a good thing.