PDA

View Full Version : File fish and Strawberry Anemone

Shawn O
03/19/2016, 09:48 AM
I now have a ton of small Strawberry Anemone in my tank, which I had seen none for the first couple months I had the tank. Most are tiny, but there is one inside a hole in the rock, which I call the queen anemone. It's about an inch across.

I had a File fish originally, but killed it being stupid. Roughly about the time I started to notice these anemone showing up. I think I read somewhere that they will eat Aiptasia. Could this fish have been keeping these Strawberry Anemone at bay?

bat21
03/19/2016, 10:53 AM
Only way you're going to get the answer is to get another filefish. The reports seem to be very mixed on the subject. I have never had aiptasia, but I still love my filefish. Perfect little fish for a 55.

Shawn O
03/22/2016, 06:26 AM
The two fish I was planning to add would probably put me at max for a 55. Don't want to push it on the off chance that it may fix the problem. Ok, thanks for the reply, bat21. :thumbsup:

albano
03/22/2016, 06:30 AM
I'd bet on the filefish... I always try to keep one in every tank, and have no small anemone problems...

Dkuhlmann
03/22/2016, 07:30 AM
My matted file fish was a great addition to my tank, he ate all of my aiptasia, would eat frozen Mysis like a pig and he even got a taste for my Blasto's, he ate every frigging one of them :hammer: He got rehomed!@

Sapelo
03/22/2016, 07:43 AM
I think it's hit or miss with filefish. I love mine and he has been an ideal citizen, he ignores all coral including zoas, but I've heard plenty of stories that went the other way.

Dkuhlmann
03/22/2016, 09:39 AM
He was fantastic for a month or two, then I noticed something was eating my blastos then I saw him doing it and when I approached the tank he stopped and swam away, as soon as he thought I wasn't watching he was back at it again. I know it sounds funny but that fish knew he was doing something that he shouldn't have been doing. But with all of the Euphyllia and Acans that I have all he touched was the Blastos. I don't get it.

GimpyFin
03/22/2016, 06:44 PM
My aiptasia filefish was great. took him about 3-4 weeks to hone in on the aiptasia, but then all of a sudden the tank was cleared. Unfortunately, mine went rogue after the aiptasia was gone and ruined a brain coral and started picking off my trochus snails. He did seem kinda sneaky about it too like dkuhlmann mentioned. Had to throw him in my other tank.

Shawn O
03/24/2016, 08:38 AM
Good to hear your experiences. When I can upgrade to a 75 or 90 I will be adding a small one.

Shawn O
06/21/2016, 11:37 AM
Got another matted filefish on sunday. Little guy, maybe 1 1/4" long. My Neon Dottyback is not pleased at all with this new little fish messing around with his rocks. The dottyback has decided that all of the rocks belong to him. It charges the filefish and often swims tight little lightning-fast circles around the filefish, a couple of times nipping at it and trying to tail-slap it. The filefish has nerves of steel it seems. Not a single flinch, just goes about it's business ignoring the dottyback.

I have seen this filefish carrying a strawberry anemone in it's mouth but dropped it as soon as it saw me watching him. I think he will be the answer to my pest anemone problem, and maybe even my hydroid (or whatever they are) problem.

The dottyback is likely to be going up on Craigslist if he keeps it up.

Dkuhlmann
06/22/2016, 03:16 AM
I'm debating on getting another Matted Filefish as my aiptaisa have exploded in numbers. I just killed about 30 or so yesterday and it only looks like I've put a small dent in their numbers.

Think I'll try the ORA raised ones and see if I fair better with it not eating corals. So should I or shouldn't I get one :hmm6: :confused:

Shawn O
06/23/2016, 06:14 AM
Filefish are cheap enough to try it and give away if it causes problems. Interesting behavior, if nothing else.