PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

dieselfish89
03/19/2016, 05:32 PM
So is feeding once a day fine or should I split it up over the day like twice a day.

thegrun
03/19/2016, 05:55 PM
It depends upon the fish, but in general more frequent small feedings are better. Some fish like Anthias need several feedings a day for long term health, but many are okay with one feeding a day. In nature most fish eat all day.

dieselfish89
03/19/2016, 06:02 PM
It depends upon the fish, but in general more frequent small feedings are better. Some fish like Anthias need several feedings a day for long term health, but many are okay with one feeding a day. In nature most fish eat all day.

I have 5 tomato clowns they always seem to hang were I feed at.

cloak
03/19/2016, 06:03 PM
Feeding one good meal a day has always worked well for me. (damsels, tangs etc) As long as your not overfeeding though, I guess you could split it up throughout the day if you wanted to. GL.

kmbyrnes
03/20/2016, 07:20 AM
My fish COULD survive on one feeding a day, but they certainly will not let me get away with that!
Every time I walk by, they follow me down the tank, sucking in their guts to look as if they are starving. So I feed them pretty much anytime I go by.
Last week I did an experiment to see if I could 'overfeed' my FOWLR. It took 6 frozen cubes, 3 clams and about 2 tablespoons of pellets, but the pigs finally could eat no more. By morning, you would have though they had not eaten in week.

dieselfish89
03/20/2016, 08:14 AM
My fish COULD survive on one feeding a day, but they certainly will not let me get away with that!
Every time I walk by, they follow me down the tank, sucking in their guts to look as if they are starving. So I feed them pretty much anytime I go by.
Last week I did an experiment to see if I could 'overfeed' my FOWLR. It took 6 frozen cubes, 3 clams and about 2 tablespoons of pellets, but the pigs finally could eat no more. By morning, you would have though they had not eaten in week.

I feed two cubes a day and they do the same fallow me as I walk past but I know I can't push the limits like that yet my tank is not fully cycled yet.

downbeach
03/20/2016, 08:23 AM
I only fed once a day; two cubes of mysis(1 ea. PE/Hikari), 1 cube of cyclop-eeze(for the anthias/coral), a couple pinches of NLS pellets, and a clip of macro/seaweed. Althoug I also made sure I had a good population of amphipods/copepods that I'm sure the fish would pick on throughout the day.

dieselfish89
03/20/2016, 08:28 AM
I only fed once a day; two cubes of mysis(1 ea. PE/Hikari), 1 cube of cyclop-eeze(for the anthias/coral), a couple pinches of NLS pellets, and a clip of macro/seaweed. Althoug I also made sure I had a good population of amphipods/copepods that I'm sure the fish would pick on throughout the day.

Ya I have a large clean up crew and with my pumps the way I have them set up nothing stays on bottom very long.

Psychomantix
03/20/2016, 02:48 PM
In nature most fish eat all day.

You might only FEED once a day, but your fish will scavenge your tank for left over food, pods, algae, corals, ect all day too.

anthonys51
03/20/2016, 03:57 PM
feed your fish as much as they want. feed your fish, feed them :)
maybe it sounds better in a sottish accent. All joking aside, feeding your fish a lot of smaller meals a day is best suited for most fish, but like most people have said, you can survive just fine on 1 feeding a day. one thing i will say, is more fish die for overfeeding then under feeding. so tread carefully.

CStrickland
03/20/2016, 04:09 PM
one thing i will say, is more fish die for overfeeding then under feeding. so tread carefully.
How do you know if you are over feeding? Mine seem to just stop eating when they are full. Would you call that too much?

anthonys51
03/20/2016, 04:19 PM
Well that isn't a black and white answer. I have had fish I feed like crazy. But did 25 percent water changes every 4 days. With plenty of filtration Your fish and tank will tell you. There is no right answer. If your fish are growing and corals show good colors and good growth it's working.