PDA

View Full Version : Wet Dry Filter Help.....

Itz_Koolio
03/19/2016, 07:31 PM
Hello all:wave:!! I have a 55 gallon tank that I have recently been having trouble with. I currently have terrible filtration that I have had since I started the tank (Aqueon power filter 55/75 and a canister filter which is actually not too bad). My LFS has suggested me to upgrade to a wet dry filter. He has a used set and has offered to install it all for $240. Is this the right way to go? Is his price decent? Should I buy a new set instead?
Please help me I am in a bit of a time crunch:bounce2:.

Bent
03/19/2016, 08:02 PM
No.

Wet dry filters are about as 1990 as you can get and the bio balls in there become nitrate factories due to all the buildup of detritus.

Not to sound like a jerk, and I'm not trying to be one, but go read all the stickies in the new member forums about setting up. I could sit here and type for an hour and not be able to give you half the information that is available in those.

The short answer is; don't listen to that guy about anything ever again, he's ripping you off. All you need is the tank, a sump, a skimmer and a return pump.

The long answer is; read the stickies.

When you say trouble, what do you mean? Give us some details and we might be able to nail down your problem.

Itz_Koolio
03/19/2016, 08:25 PM
Well I mean like nitrate trouble and stuff. He says that his would solve many of our problems

Bent
03/19/2016, 08:41 PM
Well I mean like nitrate trouble and stuff. He says that his would solve many of our problems

No, it's just going to add to it.

Itz_Koolio
03/19/2016, 08:54 PM
Wow really?? What do you recommend than??

bif24701
03/20/2016, 07:16 AM
A sump, a good skimmer and that's it.

bif24701
03/20/2016, 07:18 AM
Start there. Read up on the stickers in the New to the Hobby section and go from there.

Do you have live rock? Sand? What do you have for water movement? What are you goals?

Itz_Koolio
03/20/2016, 07:34 AM
I just want a tank in which I can have virtually any fish be healthy. What is a sump?