PDA

View Full Version : Need 2nd Advise

Kymaro
03/20/2016, 10:24 AM
Don't worry I'll add all the details at the end. In past week I lost a clown fish (had him for a month) and now my Peppermint Shrimp is hanging out on his side. What have I done or am doing wrong! Fish store replaced Clown fish the day he died. He too is hiding a lot but I think the surviving clown fish is being to bossy with him, and he doesn't go after the food when fed daily, I'm worried for both)

Tank 6 moths old, ran 3 weeks prior to live rock being added and after 2 months One occupant was added one at a time every week or 2. (after a water check each time by the store) Rock -peppermint - cleaner crabs - Xenia - BTA - Clown Fish except clown fish - added the two together. Tank Details as of 4 days ago prior to 5g water change. (And Today)

Equipment:
46g bow front
air bubblier
duel carbon Filter (40-59g)
heater
maxi-jet H2O blower
Lights: T5 -39w-white and T5 - 39w-blue
(I think my lights are low, but some say yes others no)

Feed:
Phyto-Feast 1 drop a day
Mysis-feast 4 drops a day
Dried Gammarus 1 pinch once a week

Regular treatment
Eight.four - 7 ml with each water change for KH
R/O H2O (no salt) top off every other day (replacement for high water evaporation my house is very dry). My salinity is (was) regular, told by fish store to add R/O.

Current readings prior to water change: (4 days ago): (today)
Ammonia: 0 (0)
Nitate: 2 (0) (one clown fish found dead prior to water change)
Phosphate: 0.03 (0)
KH 6 (7 ml of 8.4 added) (8)
Calcium: 420 (425)
Salinity: 1.030 (1.026)
Temp: 76 degrees

Occupants of tank:
approx 30# Live Rock
1-random snail that came with purchase of Live rock
1 - peppermint shrimp
3 - cleaner crabs
2 - Clown Fish
1 - Green Bubble Tip Anemone (small)
1- pulsating Xenia (small)

I do have a corner of the tank with "grass algae" growing - sun light hits that corner - cleaner crabs are busy bodies there :-) Light on 7 hours a day but 2 additional hours of the sun light hitting the corner.

Whew hope I got every thing you need

Kymaro
03/20/2016, 10:26 AM
After posting this shrimp (probably during) Mrs. Pepper (peppermint:mad: shrimp) has passed away.

billdogg
03/20/2016, 10:46 AM
A few things pop out to me.

1. You don't seem to be quarantining your livestock purchases. That will, sooner or later (sooner) bite you in the butt.

2. Lose the airstone. It really is not appropriate in a marine system - it will just invite salt creep and be a pia. Oxygenation of the water should be throughsurface agitation from the power head (s)

3. You don't mention a protein skimmer. Although it can be done without, it will make your life easier and help to keep your system healthier. I ran a 60g cube for 22 years without, so not mandatory, but...

4. Your sytem is too young for an anemone. They require very stable water conditions and strong lighting.

5. IMHO, your lighting is not sufficient for an anemone. The Xenia, however, will be hard to kill once it gets established.

6. You mention a powerhead, but not the size. Regardless of which MJ you have, adding another will help prevent any possible dead spots in the tank. Put them at opposites sides on the back wall and point them up and towards the center to provide both oxygenation and turbulent flow.

7. You need to concentrate for now on keeping the water parameters stable.

hth

Nick92515
03/20/2016, 11:04 AM
I wonder what type of snail the hitchhiker was, or if it even a snail. Did the bta get sucked into a power head? How did you cycle your tank?

Kymaro
03/20/2016, 12:27 PM
I did not mention but I do accumulate them over time, I leave them in the water they came in (Preuss's said there is copper in the transport water for prevention of parasites). I don't want the copper in my water. In a container I put the water they came in and every 15 min to 20 min 1/4 cup of their water comes out and 1/4 cup of mine goes in, I do this till twice the quantity of my water go in compared to what goes out. (2:4) Each new addition goes through this same process.

I am taking "quarantining" is different. What is your recommendation with that? Do I need to set up an whole other tank for that, how long? I was taught only to do the accumulation with purchase.

I have only purchased on the stores recommendation. What are you recommending for a tank that is 6 months old? Am I to stair at rocks for years? (sorry not trying to be snippy, I have gotten my water, rocks, fish...etc from the same fish store, I drive over an hour due to their reputation, and I've been told no before: tank not old enough yet and I have adding only what they have recommended) They test my water everytime I walk through their door. This last water test (after 1st fish died) was the only test that they recommended how to lower my salinity and supplementing the KH, that was the 1st time my water test levels have been out of normal range. Do you have another opinion why after 6 months these levels changed (I understand the salinity.. as I was topping off with NA+ H2O every other day, not taking in consideration of the evaporation leaving the sodium behind)

Pertaining to the lighting: When I first put in the Anemone I placed him low in the tank, he did get pale and moved up higher in the rocks and he is now deep green again. He also settled in where there is higher water current. I do plan on changing the light bulbs, as they are on the older side and I'm taking the anemone is telling me too my lights are low by moving. My lights are next to be replaced.

I will exchange my bubblier for a second water jet
Current one is Maxi-Jet 900 I have it set so it directs water flow on opposite side of tank from the duel filter. The filter creates water current (I'm sure probably not enough if it is recommended to have two with my size of tank)

So sum up important item:
up-date lights
change out bubblier for 2nd water jet
educate on quarantining
research need for skimmer

Kymaro
03/20/2016, 12:36 PM
I wonder what type of snail the hitchhiker was, or if it even a snail. Did the bta get sucked into a power head? How did you cycle your tank?

Snail appears to look like snail. Climbs on glass regular I'm not sure what else he would be

BTA is just fine.

Cycled water with live rock, live sand, cleaning crew.