PDA

View Full Version : Green Hair Algae or Bryopsis or ?

acuario
03/20/2016, 06:03 PM
Does this look like Green Hair Algae or Bryopsis or something else? I soaked this rock a month before the tank was started. Phosphates averaging 0.03, but they go up if I scrub or blow off the algae. Just wondering what I am dealing with. Thanks!

CafeReef
03/20/2016, 07:43 PM
potentially a mix of the two. definitely some GHA in there tho

bif24701
03/20/2016, 08:26 PM
That's bad stuff. What are your nutrient levels? What equipment are you running?

acuario
03/20/2016, 10:06 PM
API Nitrate = 0 and Hannah ULR = 0
I know the phosphate level seems unbelievable. The tank is 5 months old. I am attempting to follow the full ZEOvit system (it is my first tank in over 10 years). I have performed 16 phosphate tests since mid-December, averaging 0.03. Last test was at 0.05 after trying to pull and blow a bunch of algae off the rocks.
I did soak my "dead" rock for a month before starting the tank. So my theory is I guess it wasn't enough. If I am trying to wait out the algae by leaching phosphate from the rocks with a lower phosphate tank environment, I just wanted to be sure this is indeed green hair algae. If it's bryopsis or something like that, will low phosphates alone take care of it? What else needs to be done.?
Would an algae scrubber be a good idea. Supposedly with ZEOvit you don't need a refugium, so I only have a skimmer going and a sock. The sock I change 3-4 days.
The tank is 45 gallons. I change a gallon of saltwater per day.

bif24701
03/21/2016, 09:06 AM
Yes an algae scrubber would be great. Your phosphate test is reading low because the algae use it up too quickly. This is common. Get a GFO reactor and high performance GFO from BRS. Also look into vinegar dosing or "carbon dosing". I used an over dose method when I started my tank with Pulkani rock and it eliminated all algae very quickly. You'll have a cloudy tank for a few weeks and you need to keep your skimmer running at peak performance everyday but when it's through your tank will be crystal clear!

acuario
03/21/2016, 01:10 PM
Thank you! Would the overdosing carbon method equate to something like doubling or tripling the dosing of ZEOstart 3 and ZEObak? Or can you point me to more information on that? Thanks again.

jbvdhp
03/21/2016, 03:18 PM
IF it's bryopsis, cant tell from the pics, read up on Kent Tech M. Works very well. Not sure if it works on regular GHA, but it worked like a charm in my tank with some bryopsis issue

bif24701
03/21/2016, 05:29 PM
Yes the Kent Tech M does help but you need a good nutrient export system.

I don't know anyone who has done both but essentially it is like that but a lot more. Also a lot cheaper.

What is your system volume?

acuario
03/21/2016, 09:09 PM
The tank is 45 gallons, minus some rock. The sump I calculate has about 15 gallons in it.

bif24701
03/21/2016, 09:34 PM
Start at 10ml of vinegar for 4 days and increase 10 every 4 days until your at 60 ml. If the tank gets a little cloudy that's ok. Keep an eye on your fish and make sure they are not laboring to breath. Keep your skimmer running well by cleaning the neck with water and vinegar. Keep it at 60 until your algae clears or keep increasing to 120 if it doesn't start to reduce.

acuario
03/22/2016, 03:35 PM
Thank you Bif, I'll give it a try.