PDA

View Full Version : vertex r6 duo calcium reactor parts

funkyman
03/20/2016, 07:28 PM
I know its discontinued, but I need the o-ring that goes under the twist on lid of the main 6" cylinder.

rjallen
03/20/2016, 11:42 PM
An oring is an oring. If your old oring is still intact, check out a building supply or hardware store. Take your oring and match it. BRS can probably get a part number and the US Vertex distributor will probably have a matching size in red but it will cost significantly more. It is metric but many of the above now carry metric sizes.

funkyman
03/21/2016, 06:57 AM
I received this reactor as part of a setup I bought, and the o-ring is missing entirely.

RT_BRS
03/21/2016, 01:29 PM
I received this reactor as part of a setup I bought, and the o-ring is missing entirely.

Ugh, that's a bummer! Personally I would get in contact with Vertex here in the US at 714-274-6544. They should have the o-ring you need. RJ does bring up a good point as well. If you are able to use a calipers to measure the groove for the o-ring you may be able to find a replacement locally as well.

funkyman
03/21/2016, 08:40 PM
I talked to Vertex. Despite being the manufacturer, they couldn't even tell me what size the o-ring was supposed to be, nor did really they seem to care. I made a mockup with screen spline. I'll take that around with me.

in the mean time, I'll park my Vertex calcium reactor next to my crapped out Vertex skimmer that the pump body went out on.

RT_BRS
03/22/2016, 05:55 PM
I talked to Vertex. Despite being the manufacturer, they couldn't even tell me what size the o-ring was supposed to be, nor did really they seem to care. I made a mockup with screen spline. I'll take that around with me.

in the mean time, I'll park my Vertex calcium reactor next to my crapped out Vertex skimmer that the pump body went out on.

Is there any chance you can get a measurement of the groove? I may be able to see if we have something here that could fit.

funkyman
03/23/2016, 07:29 AM
Thank you very much. I'll see what I can come up with when I get home tonight.

RT_BRS
03/23/2016, 11:32 AM
Thank you very much. I'll see what I can come up with when I get home tonight.

Alrighty, sounds good!

funkyman
03/24/2016, 07:09 AM
(1) I took some screen spline and put it in the groove where the o-ring is supposed to be.
(2) I cut it where the overlap began.
(3) I then took the screen spline out and straightened it back into a straight line again.
(4) I measured this, getting a reading of 13.25" (circumference).
(5) This equiv-elates to around 4.218" diameter.

This is as close as I could get. I'm sure there's a decent margin of error here, as it was difficult to tell when I had the spline straight without stretching it. Also, the method of measurement was a tape measure.

Breadman03
03/24/2016, 09:23 AM
Why not take the reactor to the store with you? I've had pretty good luck with that for other things.

funkyman
03/24/2016, 11:43 AM
Why not take the reactor to the store with you? I've had pretty good luck with that for other things.

Have you seen one of these things? It's a monster. ;) Plus, I haven't found a store locally yet that has anything close to what I need.

RT_BRS
03/24/2016, 04:10 PM
(1) I took some screen spline and put it in the groove where the o-ring is supposed to be.
(2) I cut it where the overlap began.
(3) I then took the screen spline out and straightened it back into a straight line again.
(4) I measured this, getting a reading of 13.25" (circumference).
(5) This equiv-elates to around 4.218" diameter.

This is as close as I could get. I'm sure there's a decent margin of error here, as it was difficult to tell when I had the spline straight without stretching it. Also, the method of measurement was a tape measure.

Ok, perfect! I just had a look at our supply of O-Rings and it doesn't look like we have one that will fit without stretching it quite a bit, and by then it will likely just roll out of the groove.

I haven't ever tried it on aquarium equipment, but I made an o-ring for an oil pan while I was rebuilding a car engine by laying an even bead of silicone down, letting it semi-cure, and then attaching the pan to the rest of the motor, effectively creating a seal with the partially hardened silicone. I'm not sure it's something I could recommend since I haven't ever applied it in an aquarium application but it might be worth doing some research on.

I would also checkout some of the o-ring specialty stores online. If I had to guess, your o-ring ID is likely 107mm, but I would double check.

funkyman
03/24/2016, 04:25 PM
OK. Thanks for the try.

RT_BRS
03/24/2016, 04:39 PM
OK. Thanks for the try.

No problem!