PDA

View Full Version : Lighting softies with current marine LED

Effervescentemi
03/21/2016, 11:14 PM
Could anyone give me pointers on what intensities of blue and white channels available on this fixture that would be appropriate for my 20g softy tank? I'm trying 50% whites and 75% blues, but the sarcophyton and Devils hand are miserable. Kenya tree is fine, discomas are unhappy, the zoanthids are unperturbed... I just want to do the best possible for the most corals possible, but I don't think what I'm running is working. I Would really appreciate any advice. :uhoh2:

jefra
03/29/2016, 03:11 PM
I'm having a similar problem with a few of my Sarcophyton and a Devil's Hand. They seem unhappy under the intensity of my LEDs. I know my unit is significantly overpowered for my tank size, but I wanted to invest large in case I ever upgrade.

Since my corals are relatively new to my tank, I've found moderate success doing a cycle of of 5% white / 5% blue to 5/10 to 10/10 then tapering back down on my controller. I elevated the LED unit much higher than the manufacturer recommended, and also added some branching rock work to provide better shade. It took quite a bit of adjusting to keep the capitulum of my Sarcophyton open, though I still don't think they're at the ideal light levels.

Dkuhlmann
03/30/2016, 05:18 AM
That light isn't enough power to fulfill the needs of lighting for most corals. Some of the less light dependent corals will do ok but others not so much.

I would highly recommend upgrading your LED's to at least the Mars Aqua or any other Chinese Black Box LED they're all pretty much the same. There is a great thread in the lighting forum about them. They are the most light for the least amount of money you'll find. They run about $90 new with free shipping on Ebay or you can find used ones for a little less. You will not find a better LED for most all corals than this one for the money.

The Current Orbit line just isn't enough for about 90% of corals.

Roccus
03/30/2016, 06:15 AM
I run two Current usa lights over my 75 G... full strength white 8 hours.... blues 9...my softies and Duncan's love the light... mushrooms like it too

Dkuhlmann
03/30/2016, 07:07 AM
Two of them is fine! But one is not enough. Most of the less light dependent corals ie Duncan's, zoas, palys and most leathers will do OK under these lights.

Effervescentemi
04/06/2016, 06:40 PM
I Ended up cranking both the whites and blues to 100%, (gradually of course) which is giving the sarcophyton and Devils hand what they need to open up, and everything else is tolerating the increase as well. Well, my purple discomas haven't fully expanded, but they're the only remaining cranky occupants.