PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Halide Experts.

biglurr54
03/22/2016, 10:11 AM
I am looking to get some advice from the halide gurus of RC. I am building a 60 Gallon Cube mixed reef. It will have sps, lps and a clam in the sand bed. The lps and sps can be placed depending on their light requirements. The clam will need to be happy in the sand though. My plan is to merge the benefits of halides with the benefits of LEDs. I plan on doing an actinic LED supplement to a metal halide. I am looking to have the halide deliver the visible light and provide good coral growth. I am looking for the LEDs to assist with giving the corals good color, provide actinic pop, provide dusk and dawn lighting, and drive the par numbers up at the bottom of the tank.

The LED channel will be 16 royal blue luxeon leds with 4 Stevesleds UVs.

The halide is where I need the assistance. Could I get away with a properly set up 150 watt halide with the LEDs running? I have noticed most people run 250w over the 60 cubes but that’s all they run. I’m wondering if the LEDs could provide the extra punch the 150 lacks.

I like a crisp look to the tank. Not blued out or hyper white. I am considering going with phoenix 14k on a proper ballast and a good reflector.

What are your recommendations for halide wattage, reflector, bulb-ballast combo for this set up that will play nice with the Actinic LEDs?