PDA

View Full Version : QT Cycling problems

microlady
03/22/2016, 12:59 PM
I can't seed from th display because it is in a fallow period. My only choice has been Biospira. A couple of years ago I had bad luck with Dr. Tim's the two times I tried it. Biospira was added on Saturday and I'm still getting 0.25 to 0.50 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Did I get a bad bottle or what? Two tiny clown gobies, 3-4" yellow tang, and 2-3" fairy wrasse are in the 29 gallon QT. I'm having to change water everyday and the wrasse is breathing heavy lately. Prime is not visibly alleviating symptoms. I can't add any fish to the display until May so I have to get this under control!

Any suggestions?

Deinonych
03/22/2016, 01:52 PM
Are you using any media for the bacteria to colonize? You won't get a good biofilter with a bare bottom QT without substrate. I place a handful of SeaChem Matrix in a media bag and place it in a HOB filter, then add Bio-spira. I've never had an ammonia problem, even with several fish.

ThRoewer
03/22/2016, 03:01 PM
I usually use Real Reef rocks for the fish to hide and as bacteria substrate.

BTW, water could be taken from the display as long as it is stored in a separate container for two days. Since it is a fallow system all you could catch with the water are hatched threonts, which will die within 48h.
The water usually contains already enough bacteria to get things going.

microlady
03/22/2016, 08:15 PM
I usually use Real Reef rocks for the fish to hide and as bacteria substrate.

BTW, water could be taken from the display as long as it is stored in a separate container for two days. Since it is a fallow system all you could catch with the water are hatched threonts, which will die within 48h.
The water usually contains already enough bacteria to get things going.

Hmmm. Good idea. I have two sponge filters, and an Aquaclear HOB filled with another sponge and some ceramic rings. I also have some pieces od dead coral skeleton in the tank. Is that enough for colonization? Tonight the water is a little cloudy and the yellow tang is breathing rapidly too. The fish are disease free so I'm pretty sure it is due to the water quality. I still have 0.25 ammonia. This is making me very frustrated!

krullshards
03/23/2016, 08:43 AM
That was the worst part for me when starting up my hospital/QT tanks for the ich treatment I did. I lost a pygmy angel to a nitrite spike but was able to rescue a chromis with methylene blue in a separate small tank for a day.

I've used biospira fairly successfully for ammonia, but it didn't really help a lot for nitrite. I think their strain of ammonia consuming bacteria is pretty good, but maybe the nitrite consuming is not?

Later I tried Seachem Stability and wow, that was great. I am a believer in Stability now.

Anyway, now I just run permanent QT/hospital tanks that I try to feed regularly, and also keep a sponge filter in my display's sump area.

But, ThRoewer's suggestion is excellent. I hadn't thought of that. You learn something new everyday.

microlady
03/23/2016, 08:46 AM
I ordered some Stability so it should be here in a few days. Hopefully that will help. I might try ThRoewer's suggestion too. I might wait to add the display water for three days just to play it safe. I want to do this right!

Deinonych
03/23/2016, 09:15 AM
I've used biospira fairly successfully for ammonia, but it didn't really help a lot for nitrite. I think their strain of ammonia consuming bacteria is pretty good, but maybe the nitrite consuming is not?

That has been my experience as well - rapid ammonia consumption, but slow nitrite consumption. Fortunately, nitrite is not a concern in marine aquaria until it reaches extremely high levels (hundreds of PPM).

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php

krullshards
03/23/2016, 01:54 PM
Wow, thanks for that link! I have been misinformed.

microlady
03/23/2016, 02:11 PM
It is just so odd to me that I don't have any nitrite yet. My pH dropped a bit today too. This quarantine tank is quickly becoming the bane of my existence. I'm having to change about 40-50% of th water daily to keep 0 ammonia.

krullshards
03/23/2016, 03:47 PM
Take a look at the date on the Biospira bottle. I think there should be a little sticker on the bottom of the bottle. It's a use-by date. The bacteria in Bio-Spira is live and has a shelf life. My recent bio-spira purchases have had dates of 11/2016 and 02/2017 for reference.

Stability lasts a lot longer. In reading about it, they claim that their bacteria are shipped in some dormant stage or something and don't become active until they hit water.

Deinonych
03/23/2016, 06:18 PM
It is just so odd to me that I don't have any nitrite yet. My pH dropped a bit today too. This quarantine tank is quickly becoming the bane of my existence. I'm having to change about 40-50% of th water daily to keep 0 ammonia.

Something is wrong. Measurable nitrite should be showing up 24 hours after the product was added to the aquarium. I agree with the post above...your Bio-spira may be expired.

microlady
03/23/2016, 09:01 PM
I find it odd that this is the third time I've tried one of the bacteria in a bottle products and they never work. It wasn't expired, but I ordered it from Dr. F and S. They sent it with some cool packs. There has been absolutely no measurable nitrite or nitrate. I don't have any place local to get it. Stability is on the way and I pray it will work better. My ph was giving me some issues today. This is a real pain!