PDA

View Full Version : How's my filtration look?

Sythero
03/23/2016, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, New guy here.
So I've been getting back into the hobby and I think it's time to get serious about my filtration. I've had my 55g running for about three years now and the only livestock I have is a Juvenile Snowflake Eel, I feed him freeze-dried krill so leftover food is never a problem.

Currently I have an AC110-HOB and a Fluval 305 as filtration (I don't clean it often ), but I added the HOB yesterday. How is my filtration situation going? Is it worth it to use the Fluval if I rarely clean it? Are HOB Protein Skimmers even worth the money? Thanks!

bif24701
03/24/2016, 06:37 AM
Have you considered a HOB overflow and getting a sump?

Do you have live rock and water movement?

Yes, if your only option is HOB skimmer you should get one.

As far as the canister and HOB you need to clean those kind of filters often. If you have live rock and water movement that is your filtration. Consider using the canister purely for physical filtration and stuff camber with filter floss or similar. Change minimum weekly!

bif24701
03/24/2016, 06:37 AM
Also, do water changes, water changes, water changes!

Sythero
03/24/2016, 05:09 PM
Have you considered a HOB overflow and getting a sump?

Do you have live rock and water movement?
Yes, if your only option is HOB skimmer you should get one.

As far as the canister and HOB you need to clean those kind of filters often. If you have live rock and water movement that is your filtration. Consider using the canister purely for physical filtration and stuff camber with filter floss or similar. Change minimum weekly!
I have considered getting a sump but it seems expensive. I have about 45lbs of live rock and a Koralia Evolution 850. Honestly I have a tough time cleaning my canister and getting it to work, should I just toss it?

bif24701
03/24/2016, 05:25 PM
I have considered getting a sump but it seems expensive. I have about 45lbs of live rock and a Koralia Evolution 850. Honestly I have a tough time cleaning my canister and getting it to work, should I just toss it?

Yes, not worth it. Sell to some in freshwater.
To add a sump all you need is an aquarium that will fit in your stand and not be excessively tall. Try looking in your area for old used aquariums. Then a HOB overflow, and return pump.

The Koralia alone probably isn't enough.

Sythero
03/24/2016, 10:41 PM
\ Then a HOB overflow, and return pump.
Any idea on a price for these? Are sumps really worth the money?

bif24701
03/25/2016, 01:04 AM
The overflow 65-95$. A return pump ~50$. I'll assume you either find a used tank or one on sale 50$. They are worth the money because they're so versatile.

Newguy76
03/25/2016, 10:24 AM
Petco often sells tanks for 1$ a gallon. 20 gallon tank and some acrylic baffles and silicone and there's your sump for cheap.

bif24701
03/25/2016, 10:32 AM
Petco often sells tanks for 1$ a gallon. 20 gallon tank and some acrylic baffles and silicone and there's your sump for cheap.

1/4 glass baffles would be better. But you could get away with no baffles to start, or just one to keep your skimmer section water level constant.

Sythero
03/25/2016, 07:07 PM
1/4 glass baffles would be better. But you could get away with no baffles to start, or just one to keep your skimmer section water level constant.

Is it cheaper to drill instead of getting an overflow box?

bif24701
03/29/2016, 12:57 PM
Yes, much cheaper. Some do but some kind of box to mount on the inside to skim the water surface and keep out other stuff.