PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Aretes
03/24/2016, 02:43 PM
Hey, so I'm setting up another tank (20"L x 12" W x 24"T), and this time I'm trying to stay clear from MH. I'm planning on doing either an anemone tank, or an sps/lps tank. And I'm wondering what kind of light setup would be ideal. I'm on a bit of a budget, so lower prices would be appreciated. From some of the research I've done, do sps corals not do well under led long term? And I'm correct to assume most anemones require strong lighting?

Reefaholic79
03/24/2016, 03:07 PM
My RBTA, softies and LPS love my Hydra 26. It's LED but came highly recommended from my LFS. The director was a nice addition, you can adjust your tank with the phone app, great success! It wasn't cheap but the cheap always comes out expensive. I wasted money buying a pos current marine orbit led and now use it in my sump for the macro algae. Good luck!:smurf:

drummerboyevil
03/24/2016, 03:24 PM
It's unfortunate that the tank isn't 24" so that you could go with an ATI T5 fixture.

Hentz
03/24/2016, 04:07 PM
I've had SPS under LED and they did/do great. Currently running two Hydra 26 HD's and they're incredible. I'm SPS dominant

Aretes
03/24/2016, 04:08 PM
I've had SPS under LED and they did/do great. Currently running two Hydra 26 HD's and they're incredible. I'm SPS dominant

Could you share your tank dimensions?

Ron Reefman
03/24/2016, 10:56 PM
A) All corals can do just fine under led's even long term. I've had leds only over a 180g tank for over 3 years now and everything looks great!

B) Any led fixture worth buying will be more than enough for any anemone. I have about 25 of them in a shallow reef tank under an led fixture.

C) If cost is an issue, consider a MarsAqua. You only need 1 and they are less than $90.

flananuts
03/25/2016, 04:42 AM
If you're trying to save money just be patient and search Craigslist. I was able to save a lot of money from people who bought on emotion and had to sell for some reason or another.

Ron Reefman
03/25/2016, 07:51 AM
If you're trying to save money just be patient and search Craigslist. I was able to save a lot of money from people who bought on emotion and had to sell for some reason or another.

+1
I have a 180g reef, a 75g hex tank, a 180g sump/refugium (8'x 2'x18") system with led fixtures (3), DC pumps (2) DC power heads (2), a 1hp chiller, big skimmer, Ocean Motion closed loop and a home made stand. I paid less than $5000 for all of it. The chiller alone was $1100 because it was new. The rest was either used or going out of business or big group buys. Find your local club, watch Craigslist and take your time. I spent almost 18 months accumulating all the stuff I needed.