PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the water going?

mattyg18
03/24/2016, 06:53 PM
Newbie here about one week into a new cycle. I've got a 60gal cube with 20gal sump. My return pump has a ball valve on the output side and tees off to the tank or back to the sump with valve. The water level in my sump goes down about an inch every 24 hours and I need to either add water, slow down the return flow, or adjust the valve putting water back into the sump off the t. If I don't do either of the previous then the level gets too low for the return pump.

I dont see any water inside of the cabinet where the sump is, on the floor, or anywhere. I know the water does evaporate but is it possible its evaporating that fast? I'm new at this so not sure if this is normal or not. It just seems like its evaporating way too fast.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

sirclintler
03/24/2016, 06:58 PM
I would say evap is the culprit if their are no signs of leaks, I evap about 4 gal in 24 hours on my 125

SammyL
03/24/2016, 07:00 PM
Evaporation

heathlindner25
03/24/2016, 07:02 PM
Newbie here about one week into a new cycle. I've got a 60gal cube with 20gal sump. My return pump has a ball valve on the output side and tees off to the tank or back to the sump with valve. The water level in my sump goes down about an inch every 24 hours and I need to either add water, slow down the return flow, or adjust the valve putting water back into the sump off the t. If I don't do either of the previous then the level gets too low for the return pump.

I dont see any water inside of the cabinet where the sump is, on the floor, or anywhere. I know the water does evaporate but is it possible its evaporating that fast? I'm new at this so not sure if this is normal or not. It just seems like its evaporating way too fast.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

It's evaporation bro.... add fresh RODI water everyday.

Martini5788
03/24/2016, 07:03 PM
Evaporation. That's why ato is so helpful. If you
Forget to top off for a day or so it can dry out and fry your return pump. I went without an ato for a year, never going back to not having one. SO HELPFUL

mattyg18
03/24/2016, 07:05 PM
Wow. I'm glad I've got no leaks and its just evaporation. Should I add RODI Saltwater or just RODI water?

mattyg18
03/24/2016, 07:06 PM
And THANKS for the fast replies!!!!!

joshbrookkate
03/24/2016, 07:07 PM
RODI. Do not top off with salt water.

mattyg18
03/24/2016, 07:26 PM
Would it help at all if I made a cover for my sump? I've got some extra plexiglass in the garage and can make a few cuts.

heathlindner25
03/24/2016, 07:30 PM
You want it to evaporate..short answer.

Jscwerve
03/24/2016, 07:31 PM
I think a cover would help. I wish I could do the same.

I burn about 2.5 gallons a day to evap.

Dkuhlmann
03/24/2016, 07:32 PM
You want to leave the DT and the Sump open as much as possible to allow fresh air to hit the water. This has an effect on your PH. I would make a clear screen top for your tank if you don't already have one, the will keep your fish IN your tank.

mattyg18
03/24/2016, 07:34 PM
Makes sense fellas. Thanks again for the info!!

mattyg18
03/24/2016, 07:37 PM
Any ideas what to do if you're going to be away for a few days?? I'm guessing just fill the tank to the top.

Mike Ordner
03/24/2016, 08:36 PM
Do a search for Automatic Top Off (ATO). This is what will keep your salinity stable. If that is not an option, then calculate the amount of evaporation in a day by measuring the drop in water level in your sump. Say you drop an inch a day and you will be gone for three days. In that case I would add one and a half inches of water before I leave. Your salinity will go down at first and then get more salty at the end, but will fluctuate less than adding no water or adding three inches of water. Long post, so instead of reading all of this just get an ATO and problem solved.

joshbrookkate
03/24/2016, 09:59 PM
An ATO is so worth the money! It's one of those things that you don't HAVE to have but it makes maintaining your tank so much easier and more stable.

mattyg18
03/25/2016, 05:08 AM
I didn't even know about an ATO until now. Great idea and thanks

johnike
03/25/2016, 05:19 AM
Great to have, here's what I use on the reef.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

I won't suggest the way I top off my big tank here. ;)

RonMc
03/25/2016, 05:49 AM
Great to have, here's what I use on the reef.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

I won't suggest the way I top off my big tank here. ;)

Evaporation is exactly why I purchased this top off system.
Cant say enough good things about it.