PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 40g

Scrambler87
03/24/2016, 07:21 PM
Hey all, So this is my first saltwater tank and it will be a reef tank. Currently I have a 40g set up and going over what I want to stock in it.

So far what's in there is:
4 red cortez crabs
2 Oc Clownfish

I am thinking of adding the following: (mind you I have a lfs that will trade out as they get to big for my 40g till I can get my 180 up)

1 juvenile fox face
1 midas blenny
1 6 line wrasse

6 turbo snails
2 peppermint shrimp

Then the rest will be corals unsure which yet advice on beginner corals would be good have a current orbit 36-48 inch led for lighting.

SoloChromis
03/24/2016, 09:28 PM
1 juvenile fox face - Rabbitfish have *really* rapid growth rates, but you could probably keep him close to a year I would think, depending on how big he is when you get him.
1 midas blenny - Perfect :thumbsup:
1 6 line wrasse - They're one of the most regretted purchases in the fish world. They're eye catching, affordable and look harmless enough right? There's a good chance he may bully the midas, and any basslets, wrasses, dartfish etc. you may try to add later, he'd most likely make a meal out of your peppermint shrimp eventually as well. Not at all worth the trouble IMO

6 turbo snails - I'd consider swapping them out for a cool tuxedo urchin or something, kick's their butt in the algae plowing department and looks way cooler too.
2 peppermint shrimp - Perfect :thumbsup:

scooter31707
03/25/2016, 06:25 AM
As mentioned above, the Foxface will be too big for that tank. I would avoid the 6-line wrasse as they are complete jerks and can become very aggressive. Is this tank a standard 40g or a 40 breeder? Don't count on a upgrade, this is life, things happen which can make that upgrade not happen. Stock appropriately and you can add to the 180 when you get it.

Scrambler87
03/25/2016, 09:03 AM
Yeah the Wrasse, has been one of the fish I have kicked around. I may look into something a bit different there...may go with another pair of clowns.

I know my guy at the lfs said he can get me foxface as small as I want or as big as I want.

@Scooter the 180 is already on order. I am just waiting for it to arrive. I am on a 3 month waiting list though for it as I ordered a custom one. This is a 40 breeder.

SoloChromis
03/25/2016, 09:34 AM
Yeah the Wrasse, has been one of the fish I have kicked around. I may look into something a bit different there...may go with another pair of clowns.

I know my guy at the lfs said he can get me foxface as small as I want or as big as I want.

@Scooter the 180 is already on order. I am just waiting for it to arrive. I am on a 3 month waiting list though for it as I ordered a custom one. This is a 40 breeder.

Pink streaked wrasse (P. ataenia) are within the same genus as sixlines, but much, *much* more docile, to a fault in some more aggressive communities. Possum wrasses are also one of my very favorite groups of fishes, and they have similar characteristics as sixlines, minus the aggression and appetite for shrimp (the white banded is my favorite :fun4:). The foxface will be fine until the 180g is up, they're not anywhere near as "athletic" or claustrophobic as most tangs.

Scrambler87
03/25/2016, 11:20 AM
Appreciate the help I will check into the possum....I do like possum stew....lol. thanks again all...now to start planning the 180 stocking lol