PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue Tang

Lowater
03/25/2016, 06:49 PM
I have a powder blue tang in my reef tank who is battling ich. So far he seems to be winning the war and is slowly getting better. As far as I know the only way to fight ich in a reef tank is with good nutrition. Here is my question. He seems to be getting gassy. Could this be from to much fatty proteins or just from to much grazing?

Jeff4777
03/25/2016, 07:08 PM
Hes not winning the war. He may be winning some battles, but not the war. That is how the life cycle of ich works, things will appear to be better. To get rid of ich you need to let your tank go fish less for 72 days and QT all your fish. Treat your fish with copper or tank transfer method. At the end of the 72 fallow period you can re add the treated fish. Otherwise ich will always be in your tank now.

- I'd recommend reading the stickies on this forum about ich

fbodykiller
03/25/2016, 09:33 PM
How are the other fish in the tank?

Honeygs
03/25/2016, 10:10 PM
Just went through the same thing. QT'd the fish and clean up the tank. I did leave the live rock in it though and it's been about a month and there's nothing else in it for now.

PhaneSoul
03/27/2016, 04:13 PM
Good nutrition will go a long way. Good quality foods, imo i prefer blenxer mush in which i have takin live foods, mussels, clams and a choice of a fresh killed and cut fish, last time i used salmon. I also add in a pack of pe mysis shrimp since i have only heard good things about them. As a last ingredient ill soak, blend and add nori to the mix for that much more of a diverse food.

That concoction complimented with blackworms and most importantly of all a low stress environment. I believe will take care of the problem. I dont believe you have to go fallow and treat ick, ive had ick before and did only what i say here and im very confident it has died off due to my fishes good health. My last few additions never showed any signs of ich nor have i seen any since it disappeared 2 years ago.