PDA

View Full Version : Basic tests needed?

Cyproz
03/25/2016, 10:31 PM
What basic test kits should be had when you are starting a dry rock, arag alive sand tank?

Will be using instant ocean salt. I do have a refractometer

Xxero
03/25/2016, 11:49 PM
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate whenever you're first starting out.

Cyproz
03/26/2016, 07:49 AM
OK so all these API, and red sea and other test kits are selling everything i dont need in their "complete kits"

Xxero
03/26/2016, 08:52 AM
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are the basics for when your tank is first cycling.

The complete kits usually contain Alkalinity, Magnesium, and Calcium as well. You will want these down the road to keep your parameters in check.

Hanna digital checkers are popular for testing low range phosphates. Again, another down the road test you may wish to purchase. :bigeyes:

mitch91175
03/26/2016, 09:01 AM
All of what was said by the other members is definitely what you will need to get you started. Don't know if you have done this already, but before getting in too far with the hobby, I would suggest that you stop and read as much as you can to get an understanding of what you are getting into. Definitely not trying to sound like a douche, but there are few reasons people get in and get out of the hobby, and one of those reasons is not being prepared for it. This is a good read surrounding water chemistry in saltwater aquariums: Water Parameters (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/). Obviously, we are hear as well to help you with your growth in the hobby as well. It is very rewarding (expensive) and at the same time can be a bear if you allow it.

cloak
03/26/2016, 10:48 AM
Some LFS will test your water for free. Being that you'll probably never have to test for Ammonia and Nitrite once the cycle is complete, you might want to hold off on these. When you start adding corals though, Alkalinity, Calcium & Magnesium are the three most important things to monitor. Having a Nitrate and Phosphate test kit lying around wouldn't hurt either. GL.

Cyproz
03/28/2016, 07:46 AM
OK thanks guys. ill take it all into consideration. I do own lots of reptiles so i know it can be tough and repetitive testing and changing parameters. I think it will be fine.