PDA

View Full Version : Most reef-safe hawkfish?

SoloChromis
03/26/2016, 05:22 PM
I've always loved hawks, but I also love small fish and shrimp. What would be the the safest bet? I'm really curious about the swallowtail hawk (Cyprinocirrhites polyactis). Thanks guys :bum:

snorvich
03/26/2016, 08:14 PM
Hawkfish are ambush predators. They eat small fish and shrimp

LobsterOfJustice
03/27/2016, 06:52 AM
You could try a Pygmy geometric hawkish. They will still eat anything that fits in their mouth (like all hawkish) but at least they are much smaller... They are also technically not true hawkish but behavior-wise as far as we are concerned, they might as well be.

ThRoewer
03/27/2016, 07:55 AM
I've always loved hawks, but I also love small fish and shrimp. What would be the the safest bet? I'm really curious about the swallowtail hawk (Cyprinocirrhites polyactis). Thanks guys :bum:

Cyprinocirrhites polyactis grows to 15 cm (5.9 in) in total length. That means it will easily eat cleaner shrimp, gobies, dartfish and the like.

The only solution to have small fish and shrimp and hawkfish are two tanks to keep them apart. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago.

As already mentioned, the pygmy hawkfish may be an option, but I would be careful with that as well - sexy shrimp may not be safe with them either.

CoralsAddiction
03/27/2016, 09:18 AM

+1
I had a flame hawk that was a complete jerk. It would ambush a small Clarkii clown. It was obvious that the hawkish wanted to kill the clown and eat him. Needless to say the hawkish was taken out.

SoloChromis
03/27/2016, 09:21 AM

I understand this, but there's possible exceptions to every general rule. Like Xanthichthys triggers, Hemitaurichthys butterflies, Genicanthus angels, zebra morays etc. All lack much of the traits that would make them unsuitable or undesirable for the average community reef, containing coral, small fish, shrimp etc. The lyretail hawk stuck out to me especially, considering it resembles an anthias much more than a hawk IMO, swims in the water column more, and according to several sources, preys mostly on planktonic food. I just figured someone on here has to have some experience with a hawk that was consistently better behaved and had proven to be less likely to go after small gobies, shrimp etc.

Myles
03/27/2016, 03:26 PM
Have you though about the geometric hawkfish- which isn't really a hawk at all?
They are smaller, shyer, and not the most competitive eaters but they do have the hawkfish look and are completely safe with everything with the possible exception of sexy shrimp or other really small shrimp.
myles

Cliving1
03/27/2016, 04:23 PM
I have a longnose hawkfish and he is the best personality I have seen. He is almost at the point of perching in my hand. Super cool, always looking to greet me when I walk within feet of the tank.

GOSKN5
03/27/2016, 04:33 PM
I had a flame.. he whipped a small clown, banggai card, and a blue reef chromis I think if added last it might have been better.. but still I wont add another with small fish...

Daniel62
03/27/2016, 08:52 PM
Longnose here, never any trouble either :)