PDA

View Full Version : Starting up 90 Gal Bowfront!

Dellabona2014
03/28/2016, 10:16 AM
Hi guys and gals, I have some experience in saltwater before i start this huge debate/question. Long story short, my girlfriends mother wants a saltwater tank and i mentioned that I have background experience. SO, she put me in charge of the whole operation.. lol

Anyways, she has a 90 gallon bow-front from a previous time, but i feel that she had to take it down from lack of saltwater knowledge. I don't know, but here she goes but she has me this time and she has some decent money to spend so Im sort of excited with this.

I was in the hobby awhile back when metal halides, compacts, VHO lighting, and T5s were still the gold standard. Now it seems like LEDs are the way to go but the tank depth is 29".

I Will be putting in a decent depth of a sand bed to make up for the 29", and the way i plan on stacking the base/live rock is putting very little on the bottom and have a sort of second story of corals and depths for the fish to swim underneath. ALSO, not going huge on the corals. Some easier to keep soft corals such as frogs-spawns/hammer corals, some exotic mushrooms, possible Clams. ect. Deep sand bed ( probably 5" ) will be put in.

I can tell information is already getting out of order so without wasting more time I'd like to ask my several questions.
(IF) money wasn't a big issue, how would YOU set this up?

Metal halides/compact fluorescence?
T5s?
LEDs?
Remember, even with deep sand bed it is still a deep tank and i would like some good looking clams to help with the filtration.
I was thinking some metals halides 2-250 watts unless LEDs have been good with deep tanks..

I will get a good in sump protein skimmer for sure!
Any specific Sumps/Protein skimmer, even Combos out there making the rounds?

I would Love to hear what you guys think. URL pasted sites will help me too if you really want me to check something out.

I will appreciate this guys!
Local fish store will be helping me out along the way with reminding me about the water paraments again, but the dry supplies is what Id like to hear about!
Ask questions if you have any
Thanks!
Chris

CarrieB
03/28/2016, 10:37 AM
You can search on 150g Tall tanks for ideas. They are also a similar height. Personally I am planning on a LED t5 combo for mine using the Reefbreeders Photon 48 fixture. I've heard good things but no experience yet and it certainly isn't the most expensive way to go.