PDA

View Full Version : White fuzz all over rocks (not dino)

j.lee
03/28/2016, 04:21 PM
I have done as much research as I possibly can but have had no luck yet, hopefully someone here can help out!

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/smeJFeM.jpg)

There are no air bubbles, just fuzz covering every rock, pump, and fan. I can clean the glass but it grows back almost instantly. All that on the glass grew in one day.

I can't put a finger on what changes I made that may have caused this, but I did make a filter modification with non-reef safe plastic but I realized it after a week or two and removed it, but that was a year ago last month.

I've been battling this for about a year, here's what I've tried:
- blackout (up to 7 days). This helps and completely rids the tank of the fuzz. Within a day or two of lights on it starts creeping back.
- chemiclean. I found a post describing what I have (the picture link was broken though). No effect.
- cut back on feeding.
- Hydrogen Peroxide dosing. No effect.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

bertoni
03/29/2016, 03:35 AM
Pests like that can be difficult. I probably would try some GFO first because it's easy to add and sometimes helps. What kinds of snails does the tank have?

j.lee
04/01/2016, 12:06 PM
I just got some GFO in the mail so I'll be trying that out, crossing my fingers! As for the snails, I ordered a mixture from reefcleaners but my ******* hermit ate 90% of them so I'm gonna re-up pretty quickly, is there any kind specifically that you would recommend?

bertoni
04/01/2016, 05:46 PM
I'd try a mixture of herbivorous snails to see which ones (if any) eat the pest. That can be hard to predict.

Reefstarter2
04/01/2016, 07:33 PM
I am no expert but it look like a fungus to me