PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Using Bio Media (Siporax, Matrix, Marine Pure) for heavy Bioload?

Rakie
03/28/2016, 11:50 PM
Just wondering if anyone here is using bio media products to give them a larger buffer and sustain more livestock.

seems that these products are getting more popular so I'm looking for results from Nano users, to see if they allow you guys to push the limits of your tank a little.

homer1475
03/29/2016, 06:42 AM
While I do have a big bag of Seachem's matrix media in my cube, I'm only using so I can seed my new tank, and will keep it in the sump to seed a QT if I need it.

I am heavily stocked bioload wise(6 fish, flame angel, neon dottyback, pair of percula clowns, 2 clown gobies, and a cleaner shrimp), but noticed no significant ammonia, or nitrites when I removed it to seed my new tank. I do have about 60# of live rock in my tank, so I think that helps a lot too.

My new tank will use 2 marine pure plates, and I will keep the bag of matrix media in the sump to seed a QT/HT if needed.

Rakie
03/29/2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks for your input! Is this your 80g aquarium you're referencing?

In my 12g I've got 12lbs of LR, and 10lbs of Sand. So I could use the extra surface area for Bacteria to colonize on for sure. I also know my lady would greatly appreciate 3 fish.

The next step will be convincing her all those Pygmie angels need a tank 4x the size of my 12g!

Balix
04/12/2016, 03:19 PM
I've used seachem matrix and not sure what to make of it. Threw it out. Months later, i got the marine pure spheres and it seems to make a big difference. Plus I rescaped recently to have less in the display. Have them both in my nuvo 20 and 10 gallo .

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

k0k0z
04/12/2016, 08:10 PM
Using Siporax in my 25g nano, helps to keep the parameters stable. I believe it is a great filter media with a lot of space for the bacteria.

djbon
04/12/2016, 10:04 PM
I'm currently using various type of bio media in my bacteria twin tower. What I can confirm is my tower works like charm. Zero nitrate since that thing cycled after 3 weeks in action. The best DIY in my system at a fraction of cost.

Rakie
04/13/2016, 12:40 AM
I'm currently using various type of bio media in my bacteria twin tower. What I can confirm is my tower works like charm. Zero nitrate since that thing cycled after 3 weeks in action. The best DIY in my system at a fraction of cost.

What do you mean by Bacteria Twin Tower? Like a reaction chamber, or something else?

djbon
04/13/2016, 01:47 AM
What do you mean by Bacteria Twin Tower? Like a reaction chamber, or something else?

Quite similar to sulfur denigrator, minus the sulfur reactor.

ReefWreak
04/13/2016, 07:50 AM
Quite similar to sulfur denigrator, minus the sulfur reactor.

Is it just a coil in the tube? (coil denitrator)? Are you feeding the bacteria a carbon source, methanol, vodka, vinegar, etc?

To bump this thread, I've added a cut-down marinepure block to my 29g cube with medium bioload. I'm seeing positive changes in the tank, but I'm more attributing them to removing algae, starting up vodka dosing, and going back to skimming in the last month or two than I am to 3 days of the marinepure blocks. It might make a difference down the road, and I still have to figure out what I'm doing for phosphates, but out of desperation and hype-testing, I added the blocks (cut down to 2.5" thickness, since 4" wouldn't fit in the back chamber, and the block fractured so it is closer to 1/3 and 2/3 size blocks, each 2.5" thick). I don't even know if 2.5" is enough for denitrification, but I'm hoping.

djbon
04/13/2016, 07:56 AM
Nope. No coil inside. Combination of several different media. Feeding vodka into the tower every night.

Rakie
04/13/2016, 02:27 PM
Nope. No coil inside. Combination of several different media. Feeding vodka into the tower every night.

This is new and interesting to me -- What kind of plumbing do you have to and from the towers?

russ13
04/25/2016, 11:06 PM
I just picked some up today. Going to run it in a TLF 150. I really don't see any down side to using it as long as you keep the detritus from building up.