PDA

View Full Version : Fish Medicine Cabinet

krullshards
03/29/2016, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I've been asking questions in various threads about which medicines I should have in my fish medicine cabinet as well as what treatments are appropriate for what disease.

I've also read the sticky in this section titled "what treats what disease".

I figured it would be best to start a thread to ask these questions instead of hijacking the other threads. :spin2:

So, here is what I currently have, when I think it should be used, etc, and any questions.

Formalin

Used to treat Brookynella (Anything else?)
Dosage: 1ml/gallon

Cupramine

Effective against cryptocaryon irritans (ich) and velvet
Dosage: Follow dosing instructions on package.

Kanaplex/Kanamycin

Used for bacterial infections
Dosage, can be dosed with Furan-2 to enhance effectiveness:
Day 1: Use recommended dosage for both KanaPlex & Furan-2
Day 2: Use recommended dosage for Furan-2 only
Day 3: 25% Water change and use recommended dosage for both KanaPlex & Furan-2
Day 4: Use recommended dosage for Furan-2 only
Day 5: 25% Water change and use recommended dosage for both KanaPlex & Furan-2

Methylene Blue

Used to help fish recover from nitrite/cyanide poisoning and fungal infections.
Use according to manufacturer instructions. Should be used to treat in a hospital tank. Will adversely affect biological filter.

PraziPro

Used for external flukes and internal parasitic infections.
Follow dosing on package, but do two rounds with a water change in between for maximim effectiveness.

Furan-2/Nitrofurazone

Used for bacterial infections
Dosage, can be dosed with Kanamycin to enhance effectiveness:
Day 1: Use recommended dosage for both KanaPlex & Furan-2
Day 2: Use recommended dosage for Furan-2 only
Day 3: 25% Water change and use recommended dosage for both KanaPlex & Furan-2
Day 4: Use recommended dosage for Furan-2 only
Day 5: 25% Water change and use recommended dosage for both KanaPlex & Furan-2

Chloraquine Phosphate/NLS IckShield

Use for external parasites like ich, velvet
Dose according to instructions

I've read some stuff about using MetroPlex/Focus. When do you use those? Any additions clarifications to the above? What other meds do you guys use?

I'll update my list as I collect information.

juniorrocketdad
03/29/2016, 12:53 PM
That sounds very thorough I'd say your covered, but I'm not aware of metroplex/focus so maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment

snake42490
03/29/2016, 05:48 PM
Metroplex is seachems version of metronidazole in a formula that is meant to be mixed with fish food. Focus is nitrofurantoin, but is also meant to bind other medications to the food so that it doesn't all leak into the tank upon feeding. Both of those are meant to be oral administration.

ThRoewer
03/29/2016, 07:00 PM
I would add some more antibiotics:
- Cipro (if you plan to add anemones)
- Amoxicillin to treat bacterial infections on fish
- Septra (Bactrim) against Brooklynella or other protozoan skin infections (as addition to formalin dips) and more renitent bacterial infections on fish.

It's also good to have Lugol's Iodine solution on hand.

Also add StressGuard (slime coat restorer)

... and dump the copper.

krullshards
03/30/2016, 08:19 AM
I would add some more antibiotics:
- Cipro (if you plan to add anemones)
- Amoxicillin to treat bacterial infections on fish
- Septra (Bactrim) against Brooklynella or other protozoan skin infections (as addition to formalin dips) and more renitent bacterial infections on fish.

It's also good to have Lugol's Iodine solution on hand.

Also add StressGuard (slime coat restorer)

... and dump the copper.

Yeah, after reading up and getting advice from you guys, I don't plan on using copper. I listed it there because it seems so commonly used in the hobby and I had bought some to use (but avoided it). I'll update my original post.

Can you explain the best/most appropriate uses for Cipro, Amoxicillin and Lugol's Iodine solution? I understand that Amox is used for bacterial infections, but is there a particular kind or is it a situation where you try kanaplex/nitrofurazone and when they don't work you try amox or Cipro (or vice versa)?

I'll update my original post as I collect this information. You guys have been very helpful. My fish thank you for it!

krullshards
03/30/2016, 08:20 AM
Hmm, it seems I can't edit it. Oh well, I can compile a final list and post it later for those interested.

Deinonych
03/30/2016, 12:08 PM
Lugol's is used for dipping coral. Another alternative is CoralRX (my personal preference).

ThRoewer
03/30/2016, 12:39 PM
Cipro is primarily for treating sick anemones (details are discussed in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385))
Cipro may also be a good medication to treat Vibrio infections in fish (it is used for that in humans)
Though Doxycycline could be a better antibiotic against Vibrio.

Lugol's is used to prevent infections if fish have wounds from fighting or if you have to operate on them. Either slightly diluted and applied directly to the wound with a Q-Tip or a few drops into the water (~1-2 drops per gallon) as a dip.
It is also used as a dip (a few drops into the water) for freshly fragged corals to prevent infection of the cut site.
Diluted Lugol's can also be used to maintain iodine levels. Iodine is especially important for crustacean (shrimp, crab,...)

I like Amoxicillin better than BiFuran as it doesn't color the water. I never used Kanamycin, though I may add it to my medicine cabinet.

Septra is a combination broadband antibiotic with proven anti-protozoan properties. Back in the 90 I successfully used it to save freshly imported Solomon percula with Brooklynella or Trichodina infections.
These days I prefer formalin as it only requires a short bath (maybe several in case of an active infection) instead of a week long exposure.

krullshards
04/01/2016, 01:06 PM
Cipro is primarily for treating sick anemones (details are discussed in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385))
Cipro may also be a good medication to treat Vibrio infections in fish (it is used for that in humans)
Though Doxycycline could be a better antibiotic against Vibrio.

Lugol's is used to prevent infections if fish have wounds from fighting or if you have to operate on them. Either slightly diluted and applied directly to the wound with a Q-Tip or a few drops into the water (~1-2 drops per gallon) as a dip.
It is also used as a dip (a few drops into the water) for freshly fragged corals to prevent infection of the cut site.
Diluted Lugol's can also be used to maintain iodine levels. Iodine is especially important for crustacean (shrimp, crab,...)

I like Amoxicillin better than BiFuran as it doesn't color the water. I never used Kanamycin, though I may add it to my medicine cabinet.

Septra is a combination broadband antibiotic with proven anti-protozoan properties. Back in the 90 I successfully used it to save freshly imported Solomon percula with Brooklynella or Trichodina infections.
These days I prefer formalin as it only requires a short bath (maybe several in case of an active infection) instead of a week long exposure.

Wow, thanks for the link on treating sick anomones! Great information!

I just picked up another two 20 gallon tanks and another 29 to facilitate QT and TTM as needed. Petco was having their $1/gallon sale. It was too good to pass up.

I'll look up where to buy the medications you mention. If you have any recommendations on brand or links to purchase, please do share.