PDA

View Full Version : Power heads

Zoe0206
03/29/2016, 08:36 PM
Our power heads went out and we need to replace them. Since we bought these used along with the tank I don't know what GPH I need to look for. Looking on the Internet they are shaped like Koralia.

We have a 90 gallon reef tank. I'd like two power heads (one on each end). How many GPH should I get for each?

The ones we have now have magnets holding them, and I like how well they stay in place. I've seen them on the internet that have suction cups, do these work well or are they constantly falling off?

frankv702
03/29/2016, 09:10 PM
What's your budget and what do you keep in the tank? Look into some Jebao RW8s... two of them on either side should be Pretty good. They have the magnets and are adjustable. You can also sync the two to create a wave like pattern. Two would probably run around $120.

Zoe0206
03/29/2016, 09:26 PM
I really like the sound of the Jebao. It would be interesting to see a wave like pattern in the tank. We just got a new light a few weeks ago that does the moonlight, and storm with lightening, ect. So that would make it all more realistic.

As I was typing my original thread, my husband was reading and ordered a Hydor Koralia. What do you think of those?

The tank has only been up and running for 3-4 months. So we have a few frags, just got a plate yesterday. As far as fish we've got a starryblenny, watchmen goby, and P.J. cardinal. Our goal fish is a mandrine goby once we get a good population of tiggerPods Then we've got some cleaners...brittle star, strawberry conch, emerald crab, and snails.

It would be great if you could recommend some unique fish too. Everything I look at isn't safe for invertebrates. I was really liking the cow (box) fish, saddleback puffer, and some blue fish with an elephant looking nose (I can't remember it's name) :-/

drummerboyevil
03/29/2016, 09:33 PM
Kole tangs have tons of personality and do fine in that size tank.

If your goal is to have a mandarin I'd get a refugium going With some chaeto. My pod population skyrocketed after starting one.

Shaummy
03/29/2016, 09:43 PM
What's your budget and what do you keep in the tank? Look into some Jebao RW8s... two of them on either side should be Pretty good. They have the magnets and are adjustable. You can also sync the two to create a wave like pattern. Two would probably run around $120.

4 RW8's in a 90 gal tank is going to be an awful lot of power. I only run 2 RW8's in my 90, one at each end of the tank and there is plenty of water movement.

Zoe0206
03/29/2016, 09:45 PM
I want to do a refugium. The guy that set up our tank said we didn't have enough room under the tank.

I was just talking with a lady yesterday and she said we could do an over the tank one (I didn't even know that was possible).

She said to get one of those clear plastic "fish catcher" things that hangs over the tank. Then drill a bunch of holes in it for flow and put the chaeto in it. Then the tiggerpods can swim in and out to breed.

I was just looking on Amazon for an over the tank fish catcher thing and they sold fish breeder/refugiums. But it looked like a solid piece of plastic with no flow and it came with a pump. To just pump air in that little one gallon breeder tank.

Which way do you think would be better? I was liking the sound of the first unless someone with more experience would think the other way is better.

I'll look into the Kole Tangs. I know that starryblenny has tons of personality. He's our favorite fish. He goes and sits on his magnet and looks at us when he wants more seaweed. He's so fun, like a little dog.

frankv702
03/29/2016, 11:20 PM
4 RW8's in a 90 gal tank is going to be an awful lot of power. I only run 2 RW8's in my 90, one at each end of the tank and there is plenty of water movement.

Sorry! I meant two total. One on each side.. 4 total would be too much!

frankv702
03/29/2016, 11:58 PM
Midas Blennies are super cool. I swear mine tries to talk to me. I just put a blue spotted female leopard wrasse in my cube. They're gorgeous fish! She's super shy now but she's awesome to look at.

A lot of the really unique fish are not reef safe... It sucks! When I first started in the hobby I mixed a bunch of fish that I liked and had a bad outcome. Now I'm definitely more picky. Haha.

I don't have any experience with a hydor koralia except for their nano. It worked fine for my daughters 10g nano tank but didn't have any control ability. I have Vortechs on my tanks now and love the controllability. Their customer service is top notch too. They're a bit pricey but I don't mind it to get a quality product.

When I first got in the hobby, my tank didn't have much room for a sump so I used one of these from marine depot. The small one with pump. It worked good. What type of filter do you have? You can get an aquaclear filter and make a hob one also that way it's not in your display. If you have the room, I'd recommend a sump all day though. The added water volume is a good thing.

http://m.marinedepot.com/products/cr03384/cpr-citr-pro-in-tank-refugium

drummerboyevil
03/30/2016, 08:44 AM
what are the dimensions of available space in your stand? Do you have a picture?

Zoe0206
03/30/2016, 09:59 AM
what are the dimensions of available space in your stand? Do you have a picture?

We have about 14" long by 16" deep of available space. Which at the moment is storing our extra salt, carbon, ect. We had an owner of a local aquarium shop come set it up. He said I don't have room down there because the filter system takes up so much room.

Like I said earlier....we bought it used, and it came with a bunch of pipping and tubes that didn't make sence to us. The guy we got if from must have had someone set it up for him also because he couldn't explain it to us.

Posting pics is always a challenge for me :-P I'm guessing I can't do it from my phone??? I could text you a pic if you think it would help.

If I do post a pic on here I first need to download it to photobucket and then take it from there, correct?

drummerboyevil
03/30/2016, 11:45 AM
Hrm... what kind of filter? A canister filter? I hope not. That's a waste of space and a future headache all in one.

Zoe0206
03/30/2016, 01:36 PM
Hrm... what kind of filter? A canister filter? I hope not. That's a waste of space and a future headache all in one.

No it's a Wet/Dry with the bio balls. It's about 2' X 10" Then we also have an Avast Marine Work (for carbon) that takes up space.