PDA

View Full Version : Caring of Mouth Brooding Cardinalfish

rogeragrimes
03/30/2016, 12:08 PM
120-gal mixed fish/reef aquarium...less than year old. Chemicals relatively stable (although I do have to do water changes every few weeks to decrease nitrates). Tank contains hard and soft corals, 3 crabs, 3 anemones, 3 small wrasses (2-3 inches long), 6 clownfish (getting along fabulously so far), and 2 bangai cardinalfish.

I bought 2 cardinalfish from the LFS (put in QT) and put into main display tank on 2/28. About a week ago my wife noticed the Bangai Cardinalfish doing mating behaviors (vibrating, etc.) and since then have hung around each other pretty exclusively...although their behavior before that event was hang out separately 3/4ths of the time. One of the cardinalfish seems to be mouth brooding...his mouth and jaw are a lot bigger and it looks like he has a wad of chewing gum in there. We haven't seen the eggs yet, but as far as we can tell we think, against the odds, that he might be carrying eggs.

Question is, do we need to do anything special before the eggs hatch (like move to the QT tank, put in the refudgium, etc.)?

We are working on getting one of the aggressive crabs out (but he's resilient), but one of the others is very small, and the other is a Sally Lightfoot, which I hear is possibly dangerous to corals, but not to fish.

The tank has plenty of crevices, holes, and caves for things to hide in. My flow is moderate (and possibly on the light side). Unfortunately, my QT has a brand new yellow tang in it where I'm observing for 7 weeks.

ichthyogeek
04/06/2016, 03:19 PM
You can if you wish to, but it's not overall bad or good if you move him. Start hatching baby brine shrimp if you want to raise the offspring, since they'll feed the babies. There was an AFI/FAMA article a few years ago that detailed how to raise the offspring pretty well, if you wanna search the internet for it.

ThRoewer
04/06/2016, 05:04 PM
In my experience, when left in a community tank, the male will spit the eggs out long before they hatch - there is just too much stress from all the other fish.

If you want to breed them you should ideally keep them on their own (a 5 to 10 gallon compartment is enough for a pair).
But even the female alone can cause him too much stress. So as soon as you see the male carrying eggs it's best to scoop him up with a breeder box and keep him there until the babies get released.

rogeragrimes
04/11/2016, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions