PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tank lid

marleesan
03/30/2016, 07:54 PM
I have a 37 gallon fowlr tank and recently purchased an Octopus 1000 skimmer. I have no sump, so the heater,filter, skimmer and UV are all in the back of the tank. The problem is, I have already ordered a diamond goby that will be arriving in a few weeks. What are my options for a lid? Is there a place that can make a custom lid that you can recommend?

Ryan1190
03/30/2016, 07:58 PM
Artfully Acrylic if you want a nice lid, but it'll cost a pretty penny. BRS sells a DIY kit for you to make a lid which is cheap and easy but not the most attractive option.

wrott
03/30/2016, 11:47 PM
Egg crate. I've used it for years as a lid.

A.Astore
03/31/2016, 07:48 AM
Funny story regarding egg crate... okay well it is not really funny at all. I had a tiger goby jump out with the egg crate while I was QTing him. Depending on the fish size you may need to go screen rather than egg crate. Someone posted a picture at one point of their fish laying on top of the egg crate even. I got lucky with my wrasse and dottybacks but the stinking goby just wanted nothing to do with the tank at night. It worked out for me because the replacement tiger goby has a MUCH better personality and doesn't hide like the one that jumped; however, it didn't make that morning any easier when I found the fish on the floor.

Diana A
04/05/2016, 06:40 AM
egg crate can cause shadows

You can build your own with items at Lowes/home depot. You will need screen framing, mesh, spline and frame corners.

homer1475
04/05/2016, 06:43 AM
egg crate can cause shadows

You can build your own with items at Lowes/home depot. You will need screen framing, mesh, spline and frame corners.

+1

Egg crate is actually used as a light diffuser, so it will shade some of your light(not something you want in a reef tank).

BRS sells a kit for making a screen top, but its loads cheaper to just buy the stuff at lowes/HD and make it yourself.