PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia, Pacific vs Gulf - Sources to learn/ID coral & critters

1611mac
03/31/2016, 06:45 AM
I have some used rock in a temp tank and it contains Aiptasia. I am NOT asking how to control or kill it.

ISSUE:
I've read all over the forum that Aiptasia anemone is an unwanted pest. Some go to great lengths to "nuke" it and the rock it's on. Yesterday I saw what appeared to be Aiptasia in a LFS that was selling for a good it of money. It was labeled "Yellow Colony Polyp" and looked like my Aiptasia but for a bright yellow dot in the center.

Today, I found this on a "live rock" retail site describing "critters" that may come with the new live rock.
This is an aiptasia family anemone from the Gulf. It's a filter feeder which will not take over your tank like its cousin the pacific aiptasia or glass anemone. The curly cues dont need to be killed as others are.

MY QUESTIONS:
1.) How can I positively ID my "Aiptasia"? (see above quote - Gulf vs Pacific)
2.) I'm looking for recommendations for a good source to "learn" (identify) corals, Anemone's, etc? (book, web site, etc)

Thank you in advance for helping this newcomer learn the SW/reef world..

thegrun
03/31/2016, 10:43 AM
I would error on the side of caution. I've certainly seen Yellow Colony Polyps take over a tank. Seeing as Aiptasia is less than beautiful, at least to me, I would never take the chance.

1611mac
03/31/2016, 11:38 AM
I would error on the side of caution. I've certainly seen Yellow Colony Polyps take over a tank. Seeing as Aiptasia is less than beautiful, at least to me, I would never take the chance.

Thanks for your reply. That is wise counsel and I want none of the stuff but I see a learning opportunity here - ie: "Pacific" Yellow Colony Polyps vs. "Gulf" Polyps (Aptasia.) Is there a difference or is the retailer just making smoke?

CStrickland
03/31/2016, 11:42 AM
Chuck's Addiction site is a great resource for id'ing less-common hitchikers, I think it's no longer active but the archive is super thorough. The "anemone" section is 25 species of aiptasia-ish critters. http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/hitchhikers.html
The more pics you see the more comfy you'll get with it.

Some folks are less-risk averse than others when it comes to stuff like aiptasia. IMO, if you can keep it out with minimal effort why go to all the trouble of buying special fish or dozens of shrimp on the off-chance that one will eat it. Same with the super-spendy rock that comes with a million critters that will mostly be dead in a year, and another million that need to be removed one at a time in the middle of the night with like eyebrow tweezers. That's just me though, lots of people with more experience like those hitchikers. They're prolly right. As a newb I feel like it's too overwhelming to be trying to ID tiny little anemone, I don't find that fun so I just play it safe.

1611mac
03/31/2016, 11:46 AM
Great! Thanks! Well, after reading your reply about hitchikers plus posts about killing Aptasia, I know know why there were several syringes and tweezers in the "junk box" that came with this used tank!