PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cap K2 Skimmers

DemonicReefer
03/31/2016, 08:33 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone has one of the new ice cap skimmer or has seen one in person. Looking at getting the K2-200. Can't find any reviews or videos on it. As far as features, footprint and price goes it seems awesome. I've seen the sicce psk-1000 on other skimmers for a much higher price if anyone knows anything or has any opinions on these let me know thanks

gus6464
03/31/2016, 10:46 PM
They also have titanium screws which is only common on Vertex..

spedly
04/10/2016, 08:14 PM
DemonicReefer, I recently bought a K2-200 skimmer. I absolutely love it. The build quality is exceptional. It reminds me a lot of Vertex skimmers. Only real difference is the pump. The skimmer itself is very quiet however there is a hissing sound coming from the silencer. This is probably common for all skimmers with venturi pumps.

Scuba Dan
05/22/2016, 09:07 AM
How are you guys liking the K2 skimmers? Can you post some pictures of the skimmer in action. I was thinking about getting the Reef Octopus 202-S, but now leaning towards the K2-200.
Thanks....

ClownMan727
05/22/2016, 09:22 AM
Following along. Looks like a nice skimmer.

Scuba Dan
05/22/2016, 01:03 PM
Went to the local FS and they had the IceCap K2 120 on display. Looked a bit small for being able to handle a 120 gallon tank. I will say this, the skimmer is a work of art. The construction of the skimmer is top notch. The water level adjuster is a very nice design. I was very impressed with the quality of the materials used and the build of the skimmer, but we all know that don't mean anything if it does not do a good job at skimming. (Im sure it does.:D) We need more owners to chime in.... :)

ClownMan727
05/23/2016, 10:16 PM
Seems a bit too new. I think I will get the 200 and let you know.

Scuba Dan
05/24/2016, 09:09 AM
Let me know if you find a good deal on one. I've been looking, but all places I checked into want the same price. $399.99 and promo/discount codes do not apply. Must be something with CoralVue and map pricing. Im planning on ordering one Friday. Trying to hold out for that "Maybe" Memorial day sale pricing. Watch it be on all skimmers "but" Reef Octopus and Icecap skimmers...:twitch:

Scuba Dan
06/05/2016, 03:42 PM
Received my K2-200. Built very nice. Solo cup for size reference. Picked one up for $359.99 (Memorial Day Sale.)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/JDMbyBlood/K220d_zpsyjdovvvx.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/JDMbyBlood/K220a_zpsaq6tupw0.jpg

Dendro Dude
06/21/2016, 08:48 AM
Received my K2-200. Built very nice. Solo cup for size reference. Picked one up for $359.99 (Memorial Day Sale.)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/JDMbyBlood/K220d_zpsyjdovvvx.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/JDMbyBlood/K220a_zpsaq6tupw0.jpg
Keep us posted as to how it skims, I'm really think about picking up one these

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

sleepydoc
07/12/2016, 01:28 PM
DemonicReefer, I recently bought a K2-200 skimmer. I absolutely love it. The build quality is exceptional. It reminds me a lot of Vertex skimmers. Only real difference is the pump. The skimmer itself is very quiet however there is a hissing sound coming from the silencer. This is probably common for all skimmers with venturi pumps.

I think they use a Sicce needle wheel pump instead of a Venturi pump.

Any update on function? Looking to get a new skimmer and wanted a RLSS R6i, but they're impossible to get, so I'm looking at other options. How much noise do they make when broken in and functioning?

trmiv
07/12/2016, 01:31 PM
Also interested in these. They look very nicely built. Was considering the 160 for my new 120g/30g sump build. Any updates on performance?

Fish doctor
07/25/2016, 01:29 PM
Hey Dendro dude. How is the skimmer performing for you? I just wanted to get an update as I was thinking about buying one.

fcmatt
07/25/2016, 01:58 PM
Hm. I am curious as well. Talk about aggressive pricing. Is the K2-120 quiet or what?

Kyl
07/25/2016, 02:30 PM
If I can manage to get my tank plumbed in the next couple days I'll let you know how loud the 120 is..

oranngetang
07/25/2016, 04:10 PM
Also awaiting your feedback prior to K2-160 feedback.

Kyl
07/30/2016, 12:34 AM
K-120 is very quiet, less than my DCS7000 on 20% speed. It's basically in-audible to the room with the sump doors closed.

SaltyMember
07/30/2016, 05:07 AM
K-120 is very quiet, less than my DCS7000 on 20% speed. It's basically in-audible to the room with the sump doors closed.

I agree. I have the 120 also and it is very quiet. Just a slight hiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oranngetang
07/30/2016, 12:32 PM
Ordered a K2-160 last night. Will post findings when it arrives.

fcmatt
08/07/2016, 09:09 AM
Cool. Good info. I will keep an eye out for updates.

rpc07
08/14/2016, 10:19 AM
Any updates on any of these skimmers? I have my eye on the k2-120 just looking for some feedback.

oranngetang
08/20/2016, 09:47 AM
I've had my K2-160 running for a few weeks now, so I'm going to try to post some of my findings. Only my poor phone pics are available right now.

This skimmer found itself being put together and running in the sump shortly after it arrived at my door.

The box...

What is inside the box...

Why is the pump not in a bag, when everything else is?

Sicce PSK-600

Parts ready for assembly

I found it pretty strange that with the centerpiece of this product being the PSK600 pump, it wasn't bagged, or bubble wrap. The overall quality and finish of the PVC/Acrylic parts is very nice. This product feel pretty high-end, though it's my first ever skimmer and I have no other product to compare it to.

oranngetang
08/20/2016, 10:06 AM
This is the main concern of the overall assembly of this skimmer. The pump sits slightly off-centered from the body of the skimmer. A fair amount of pressure is required to align and push the air intake through the body and into the pump. This may actually be an intentional design feature, as the intake would easily fall out of the pump without having the body 'bind' it in place. I feel the o-ring seal on the air intake tube isn't a sufficient O.D.

If you watch the assembly video on youtube, it looks like the guy is using a lot of force to seat the air intake, while mine requires NO effort at all.

Issue number two is why have I received a bent hex-key. $500 dollar skimmer comes with a bent key?

Skimmer in the sump. My skimmer bay measures 7 3/4" x 11 3/4" and 13" deep. I placed the skimmer on a glass microwavable bowl for now, which set the height to 10.25", which is just over the recommended depth. I'll eventually place a proper 'step' for it in the skimmer bay.

My first impressions, are that despite a warming that the skimmer will take up to a few weeks to break in, it worked quite well in the first 24 hours. Prior to inserting into the sump, I circulated the skimmer in a pail of vinegar water for a couple of hours.

Morning after, ~16 hours of skimming.

The skimmer is sitting in 10.25" of water, and immediately started pulling skimmate, though on the very very wet side. I've been dialing it back some, daily, but it even wide-open, I get about 100-150 ml of greenish water out of it daily. I'm sure setting a proper height will solve this.

Noise-wise, the skimmer was quiet. I said was on purpose, it's a little louder now, 2 weeks later than it was the first couple of days. Honestly though, my reactor pump is louder than ANYTHING else so this isn't really an issue. With the cabinet door closed, I can hear a very slight sucking sound from the silencer.

Jeremy1988
08/24/2016, 05:24 PM
Yeah I have the K120 on my 90 gallon and yeah its bada**. Just phenomenal design and build quality. Thing will do some skimming let me tell ya. Yeah super quiet, great pump on it, you name it, it's got it. I'v had mine for about 5 months now I guess.

oranngetang
08/25/2016, 07:11 AM
Yeah I have the K120 on my 90 gallon and yeah its bada**. Just phenomenal design and build quality. Thing will do some skimming let me tell ya. Yeah super quiet, great pump on it, you name it, it's got it. I'v had mine for about 5 months now I guess.
Have you been able to get it dialed in to pull a dark skim?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Bluefish9
08/25/2016, 11:14 AM

Thats great to hear. Im building a 150xh FOWLR. Im not sure if I want to go with the k2-160 or k2-200...

sleepydoc
08/25/2016, 05:12 PM
Just how quiet/noisy is it? I'm looking to get a new skimmer and noise is a big concern since my tank is right next to the TV in the family room. Right now, when I turn off my current skimmer, the noisiest part of my system is the soft whine of the Waveline DC 10000 return pump.

Also, how consistent is the skimmer? Since you got it dialed in, does it need much adjustment?

Joey waid
08/25/2016, 05:23 PM
I have the 120 and I can barely hear it. They are very well built and easy to adjust...

Jeremy1988
08/25/2016, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=oranngetang;24699107]Have you been able to get it dialed in to pull a dark skim?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Yeah I have fiddled with it a bit here and there. I dont have a refugium, and I have a manifold where my gfo reactor output goes into and my UV reactor output goes into my protein skimmer section. I use Coralvues ice cap sump as well with filter socks. I have a 90 gallon reef tank and honestly I cant get my nitrates above 0! I feed it quite a bit and everything. I have about 70 lbs or 80 of LR and yeah I guess its doing its job because like I said cant get my nitrates to raise at all and thats even if I dont do water changes for about 3 weeks. I do a 15% change anyways just because. I have it set around 90% closed I guess and the top air intake wide open and not restricted. I also have the blue line that is used for something else capped off too. I cant remember what its used for. Plankton reactor maybe? I also only have 2 dartfish in the tank as of now so maybe that is the lack of nitrates. I just have a fire shrimp CUC and 5 sexy shrimp. My skim mate right now looks mostly dark brown but it seems like it will put about half an inch of solid stuff into the cup and get coated really heavily along the inside of the neck and top of the cup cap if that makes sense. Hope the info help. I will say I'm not impressed with coral vues customer support program either. I do like the skimmer though.

oranngetang
08/26/2016, 01:29 PM
By contrast, I'm running all the way open, and still collecting about 2 cm of light, watery skim daily. My skimmer is a little too deep. Will raise it up when able and tune it in.

The blue line is for ozone.

Kyl
08/26/2016, 01:55 PM
Just how quiet/noisy is it? I'm looking to get a new skimmer and noise is a big concern since my tank is right next to the TV in the family room. Right now, when I turn off my current skimmer, the noisiest part of my system is the soft whine of the Waveline DC 10000 return pump.

Also, how consistent is the skimmer? Since you got it dialed in, does it need much adjustment?

I cannot hear the pump on the 120 with the cabinet doors open, and there's just a bit of a hiss from the air intake. With the doors closed, you can't hear anything from the outside.

Exceptionally pleased with it being my first sump skimmer purchase.

Bluefish9
08/26/2016, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=oranngetang;24699107]Have you been able to get it dialed in to pull a dark skim?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Yeah I have fiddled with it a bit here and there. I dont have a refugium, and I have a manifold where my gfo reactor output goes into and my UV reactor output goes into my protein skimmer section. I use Coralvues ice cap sump as well with filter socks. I have a 90 gallon reef tank and honestly I cant get my nitrates above 0! I feed it quite a bit and everything. I have about 70 lbs or 80 of LR and yeah I guess its doing its job because like I said cant get my nitrates to raise at all and thats even if I dont do water changes for about 3 weeks. I do a 15% change anyways just because. I have it set around 90% closed I guess and the top air intake wide open and not restricted. I also have the blue line that is used for something else capped off too. I cant remember what its used for. Plankton reactor maybe? I also only have 2 dartfish in the tank as of now so maybe that is the lack of nitrates. I just have a fire shrimp CUC and 5 sexy shrimp. My skim mate right now looks mostly dark brown but it seems like it will put about half an inch of solid stuff into the cup and get coated really heavily along the inside of the neck and top of the cup cap if that makes sense. Hope the info help. I will say I'm not impressed with coral vues customer support program either. I do like the skimmer though.

I just got the IceCap sump today. Looks awesome except that UPS must have dropped it 1000 times and cracked the hell out of it http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160826/d11a39d87a457c4224998e41dac1ac1b.jpg

The company I ordered from is shipping me out another one as we speak. How do you like it?
Im debating on which k2 skimmer to get right now.. The 160 or 200? Its for a 150g fowlr.

sleepydoc
08/26/2016, 02:52 PM
I cannot hear the pump on the 120 with the cabinet doors open, and there's just a bit of a hiss from the air intake. With the doors closed, you can't hear anything from the outside.

Exceptionally pleased with it being my first sump skimmer purchase.

Excellent! I've been looking at getting a new skimmer. Was thinking about a RLSS, but they've basically disappeared and customer support seems to be as hard to find as the skimmers. Looked at the Vertex Omega, too, but I like the design of the Icecap. I may end up springing for one.

Im debating on which k2 skimmer to get right now.. The 160 or 200? Its for a 150g fowlr.

For a FOWLR the 160 should be fine; you don't need the same water quality you do for corals, so if you're at the upper edge of the skimmer's capacity you should be fine.

sleepydoc
08/26/2016, 10:28 PM
One other question- Is there enough room between the inner and outer rings of the lid/cap on the collection cup to mount a float sensor? It looks like it in the picture, but I can't tell for sure. On my current skimmer there's only about ¾" between the inner ring on the lid and the outer wall of the collection cup, making it too narrow for a standard float switch.

royy13
08/27/2016, 08:41 PM
I have the Icecap K2 50 on my 20 long. Very impressed with it. It is pretty quiet, especially compared to my old Lifereef on my 90. I'm happy with the skimmer up to this point.

oranngetang
09/02/2016, 11:26 AM
One other question- Is there enough room between the inner and outer rings of the lid/cap on the collection cup to mount a float sensor? It looks like it in the picture, but I can't tell for sure. On my current skimmer there's only about ¾" between the inner ring on the lid and the outer wall of the collection cup, making it too narrow for a standard float switch.

Not sure if this helps or not. Couldn't find a better tape :) k2-160 cup.

Here is 10 days of dark stinky skim at 90% gate and 10.25" depth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sleepydoc
09/02/2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the pic - is that the skimmer cap or the cup? The issue I have with my current skimmer is the distance between the outer cup wall and the ring that hangs down from the cap. It seems to be pretty narrow on most skimmers. If it's 3 cm, that's definitely better that what I have now.

joecc
09/03/2016, 01:48 PM
I'm considering buying the K2-160 for a 75 which will probably be heavily stocked at one point, 40 breeder sump.

I had made up my mind to buy Aquamaxx ConeS CO-2, but read some concerning threads about faulty impellers and cracked pumps on the Aquamaxx and am thinking about alternatives.

Does anyone know if the K2 uses the standard Sicce PSK 600 as a replacement pump? I know the Aquamaxx does not, its modified.

Aquamaxx Co-2 or K2 160, which one?

ksed
09/03/2016, 03:39 PM
By the way it looks on the picture, its stock.

sleepydoc
09/04/2016, 07:45 AM
Yeah- that's what it looks like to me, too. Virtually no one puts up pics of the impeller, so it's really hard to tell, though. Either way it will be easier/cheaper to replace a standard pump vs a 'customized' Sicce pump like aqua max uses.

sleepydoc
09/05/2016, 10:01 PM
so i just ordered an Icecap K2-160 skimmer. I'll post pics of the pump & impeller when it arrives.

ksed
09/05/2016, 11:00 PM
Great choice . I think it's one of the best skimmers for your money and least expensive to repair if needed.

joecc
09/06/2016, 06:49 AM
so i just ordered an Icecap K2-160 skimmer. I'll post pics of the pump & impeller when it arrives.

Please do!! Thanks!

oranngetang
09/10/2016, 10:13 PM
I've had my 160 running for a little over a month now I believe. Skims about 5 mm of dark green from my 92g system daily, there are 0 to 0.25 ppm nitrates at any time in this tank. I don't use a fuge or other means of nitrate absorption beyond a minimal amount of GFO.

Epic skimmer for the price. I'm fairly well stocked too.

sleepydoc
09/11/2016, 08:46 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160911/71381635cd56c1fb45a726019371e120.jpg
Mine came yesterday. Here's a pic of the PSK600 pump and the impeller. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like a stock impeller. Replacements can be found for $40.

We'll see how the skimmer does. I wanted a quiet skimmer, and while this one is quieter than my old ReefOctopus, it's still fairly loud.

oranngetang
09/11/2016, 10:06 AM
Loud to you or I may be different. I'd give it time to break in. The only audible sound of mine over water flowing through the sump, is the air intake whistle. Closing the cabinet door silences it.

The fan on my MH housings, and the water falling through the overflow are both significantly louder than this skimmer is, on my setup.

sleepydoc
09/11/2016, 09:47 PM
I'll give it some time; I've only had it 2 days so far, so it's too early to draw many conclusions. So far I've run it in a bucket with some vinegar water for 24 hours and now have just put it in my sump.

It's definitely quieter (and smaller) than my last skimmer. I measured the sound with my iPhone and got about 50 db for the Icecap skimmer vs just under 60 for my old reef octopus. I can't guarantee how accurate the app measures levels and your ear hears different frequencies and different noises differently, so the comparison can only go so far, but the dB meter would indicate that the Icecap skimmer was about half as loud, which I would subjectively agree with. There's the hiss/rush from the silencer and a low hum from the pump. It's about as loud as my Waveline DC10000II pump, but I've heard people describe that as inaudible which it most definitely is not.

joecc
09/13/2016, 08:37 AM
I spoke with Coralvue. They confirmed that they use the stock Sicce PSK series pumps and impeller with no modification.

I'm probably two months away from pulling the trigger on a skimmer. K2 owners, please continue to provide feedback on your experience.

Kyl
09/13/2016, 05:03 PM
I think since each series is a different pump you are going to get different noise profiles. I can say that the 120 continues to be near-silent, with only a slight hiss in the sump from the air intake. With sump doors closed (exposed rear), it's inaudible. It pulls out some ugly sludge, and I would buy it again if I didn't have one yet.

Potatohead
09/13/2016, 05:11 PM
Does the 120 use the Sicce 200 or 400?

oranngetang
09/13/2016, 05:54 PM
Does the 120 use the Sicce 200 or 400?

http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-k2-120-protein-skimmer

rpc07
09/23/2016, 04:32 PM
I just set up my k2-120 and I'm running it in 8 inches of wate. It's still breaking in only been running a day, my question is for those who have been running this skimmer longer what is the sweet spot on the water height?

sleepydoc
09/23/2016, 06:00 PM
From the link immediately above your post: "Recommended sump water height: 6-8" "

As long as you have it at a reasonable depth, the gate should take care of the adjustment. I'm still breaking in my 160 and have it at the recommended water height and still have the gate 80% closed, so I'd guess that you could have it deeper and have the gate more open. I haven't tried this, though.

rpc07
09/24/2016, 06:58 AM
Yeah I understand the manufacturers suggested water depth. It as with many skimmers they tend to have a sweet spot and I'm curious if anyone figured it out yet with this skimmer.

rpc07
10/01/2016, 06:36 PM
So here is the first week with my k2-120 skimmer. I don't even think it needed to break in it started to create a foam head as soon as I plugged it in and in 12 hours I had some skim mate.

Here is a weeks worth of skim.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd376/rpc07/EA7B4D9C-E189-4B87-926B-A5956A3E005B.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/rpc07/media/EA7B4D9C-E189-4B87-926B-A5956A3E005B.jpg.html)

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd376/rpc07/AB78F1DE-CEF3-426B-BB92-29AEDBDA3444.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/rpc07/media/AB78F1DE-CEF3-426B-BB92-29AEDBDA3444.jpg.html)

Kyl
10/01/2016, 07:18 PM
I just set up my k2-120 and I'm running it in 8 inches of wate. It's still breaking in only been running a day, my question is for those who have been running this skimmer longer what is the sweet spot on the water height?

Mine is in just over 7" for waterline, skimming great.

Bluefish9
10/02/2016, 06:05 AM
I just picked up the k2-160. Build quality and acrylic work are excellent. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/bd27faba02a43ae95d505afe9ee4439b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/5bc79f28fe033370d56102983fd322b3.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/4bcc5aa9b6d3aedf3a473e37bcaa92a0.jpg

adam87
10/02/2016, 01:05 PM
Bluefish9, do you like their sump? I'm thinking about getting the Icecap 36XL Reef Sump/Refugium for my 180.

gus6464
10/02/2016, 03:24 PM
How does one remove the collection cup on these? Is it like vertex which is screw on, rubber o-ring seal like skimz, or a slight twist and remove?

sleepydoc
10/02/2016, 10:52 PM
It's got a silicone o-ring; you just lift it off.

Bluefish9
10/03/2016, 04:53 AM
Bluefish9, do you like their sump? I'm thinking about getting the Icecap 36XL Reef Sump/Refugium for my 180.

I haven't run water through it yet but I love the layout and design. There is really a lot of room for equipment. The 36xl is a beast... Mine is the regular 36.

adam87
10/05/2016, 06:25 PM
I haven't run water through it yet but I love the layout and design. There is really a lot of room for equipment. The 36xl is a beast... Mine is the regular 36.

Thank you, I will get it from premium aquatics. Its in stock now.

Bluefish9
10/05/2016, 06:44 PM
Thats where I got mine! Great cust svc. I have the UPS man from hell on my route and my first sump was broken when he "dropped" it off. I called PA and they were awesome about handling it.

My UPS broke my BRS dual reactors just today actually... 4th package in a month with broken contents, courtesy of brown.

sleepydoc
10/05/2016, 08:59 PM
So I've had my skimmer for a few weeks now and overall I'm very happy with it.

It's not quite as quiet as I had hoped. Several people had posted that it was virtually silent, and while it is definitely quiet, I wouldn't call it silent. I got a sound meter for my iPhone and it puts the sound level at 50-52 dB about a foot away from the skimmer. Compare that with 48-50dB for my Waveline DC 10000II pump and 60-65dB for my old Reef Octopus XS200 skimmer. The noise is a combination of a soft hum from the pump and a slight hiss from the air intake. Either way, it's a clear improvement over my last skimmer, and with the doors closed to the stand you can barely hear it, so it's quiet enough for me.

As others have commented, the construction is very good. It has a nice small footprint in the sump and definitely saves space over my last skimmer. (I attached a picture of it next to my old Reef Octopus skimmer below for comparison.) The skimmer cup has a silicone o-ring that gives a nice tight fit into the neck ring on the body. This is personal preference, but I prefer this to the screw-on attachment of the Vertex; if you have a hose draining the cup to a separate waste container, simply lifting off the cup is a lot easer than unscrewing it. It comes with a ½"(?) John Guest elbow attached for external collection as well as a piece of silicone tubing should you wish to use a separate collection container.

I ran it for 24 hrs in some vinegar water and then put it in my sump. The instructions say to wait a couple weeks before adjusting it, but it started making skimmate almost immediately for me. Currently it's making about a cup and a half of dark-tea colored skimmate a day. I haven't tried adjusting it to get thicker skimmate; perhaps someone else can comment on that. I've also found it to be much more consistent than my last skimmer. My old skimmer was rather touchy and would go out of adjustment pretty easily. This one has been rock solid.

It uses a Sicce PSK 600 that draws about 40W of power. It has a stock impeller, so replacement parts should be reasonably easy to get.

One of the things I wanted to do was to attach a float switch to the lid. There's about ⅞" between the outer wall of the cup and the deflector ring on the lid, so it's still too narrow to attach a regular float switch (~1" diameter float.) I haven't looked to see if I can find a smaller float, but I'll probably just use an external container anyway.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it and would definitely recommend it.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q660/p-testerman/IMG_1104_zpshxunhqgx.jpg

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q660/p-testerman/IMG_1076_zpsqrrsqpgo.jpg

Kyl
10/05/2016, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear it's a bit noisy for you. I cannot hear the pump on the 120, nor a humm from the pump at all, only a slight hiss from the intake (which cannot be heard when the sump doors are closed). Has to probably come down to some variance in the pumps themselves?

Right now I'm having a terrible time trying to find a reactor pump that is quiet, as the Neptune PMUP is absolutely awful for sound and resonance, and this Cobalt MJ900 I'm currently trying is throwing off a wicked humm, yet other people have said they're quiet, etc.

I haven't fiddled with mine much aside from the initial install, but I notice it does take about half a day or so to recover from a shut down / emptying back to 100% goo removal.

rpc07
10/06/2016, 06:57 AM
Sorry to hear it's a bit noisy for you. I cannot hear the pump on the 120, nor a humm from the pump at all, only a slight hiss from the intake (which cannot be heard when the sump doors are closed). Has to probably come down to some variance in the pumps themselves?

Right now I'm having a terrible time trying to find a reactor pump that is quiet, as the Neptune PMUP is absolutely awful for sound and resonance, and this Cobalt MJ900 I'm currently trying is throwing off a wicked humm, yet other people have said they're quiet, etc.

I haven't fiddled with mine much aside from the initial install, but I notice it does take about half a day or so to recover from a shut down / emptying back to 100% goo removal.

I'm running a sicce 1.0 for my reactor. Very quiet and moves plenty of water.

Bluefish9
10/06/2016, 07:55 AM
I'm running a sicce 1.0 for my reactor. Very quiet and moves plenty of water.

The sicce 1.0 is a good choice. One of the smaller DC jebao's would be a great idea as they are VERY quiet and you could really dial in the correct flow. Could even double as a back up return pump if you ever had a failure.

Kyl
10/06/2016, 10:09 AM
The sicce 1.0 is a good choice. One of the smaller DC jebao's would be a great idea as they are VERY quiet and you could really dial in the correct flow. Could even double as a back up return pump if you ever had a failure.

Won't hijack the thread anymore, but thanks for the ideas.

sleepydoc
10/06/2016, 04:40 PM

Yeah, noise is kind of a tricky subject. Beyond the physical wave amplitude, different frequencies and different types of noises are perceived differently and what one person barely notices can be totally irritating to another. (that's part of the reason I posted the dB, just to try and give a somewhat accurate level.)

The K2-120 uses the SK-200 pump, so it very well may be quiet than the PSK-600, and like you said, there can be some variance from pump to pump. Like I said, it's about the same or less noise than my return pump, and definitely a big improvement over my old skimmer, so I can't complain.

Hope you find a reactor pump that works for you.

tdsounds
10/07/2016, 07:45 AM
It uses a Sicce PSK 600 that draws about 40W of power. It has a stock impeller, so replacement parts should be reasonably easy to get.

On the coralvue website and other retailers they are advertising this pump to draw about 15watts. Are the manufactures putting out a typo? I also was looking at this skimmer.

sleepydoc
10/07/2016, 11:52 AM
Hmm - I just looked at marine depot and they say 29w, Coralvue's site says 40w for the pump alone and 15w on the skimmer page. I calculated 40w from the rated current draw of .33A, but the actual power consumption could be less, so 29w is possible. My guess is that the 15w is a typo

adam87
10/07/2016, 05:49 PM
I got my Icecap 36XL Reef Sump/Refugium today. Looks like they updated it.

kevin_e
10/07/2016, 08:46 PM
I bought the K2-50. Very well built product. Thick walls. I do have 2 complaints. One is the air line. It fits horribly on the pump. The other is the hole where the pump fits into the bottom. The only thing that holds it is a cut piece if rubber hose that the pump output slides into. Terrible design. Its like the pump was an after thought.

gus6464
10/07/2016, 10:45 PM

How did they update it?

SpeedKilz
10/09/2016, 06:32 PM
I've been looking into this skimmer also. Not sure if the 120 is too big for my application 42 gallons + sump (56 gallons total). I'd appreciate any input those that have used the 50 or 120 would recommend.

ljosh
10/10/2016, 05:37 AM
I bought the K2-50. Very well built product. Thick walls. I do have 2 complaints. One is the air line. It fits horribly on the pump. The other is the hole where the pump fits into the bottom. The only thing that holds it is a cut piece if rubber hose that the pump output slides into. Terrible design. Its like the pump was an after thought.

I agree it is a terrible design. The pump pulls the rubber through the mounting hole eventually and then starts to rattle.

I had to glue and silicone it in place and put a small silicone mat under it to hold the pump up.

ksed
10/10/2016, 06:47 AM
Don't look at what is posted on the pump. The 40W listed on the pump is with the regular impeller. Same with amps.

Hmm - I just looked at marine depot and they say 29w, Coralvue's site says 40w for the pump alone and 15w on the skimmer page. I calculated 40w from the rated current draw of .33A, but the actual power consumption could be less, so 29w is possible. My guess is that the 15w is a typo

Chris Abbott
10/14/2016, 06:57 PM
My PS200 arrived today, thanks to Premium Aquatics for super fast shipping. So far, I am pleased with my purchase. My only concern is the fact that the water level in my sump is only 7.25 inches. Build quality is great, and it is quiet imo.

pelphrey
11/07/2016, 09:04 PM
I've got a Red Sea reefer 250, 64 gallons total water volume. Stocking will be heavy, Ice cap k2-120 or go for the k2-160?

Bluefish9
11/08/2016, 04:16 PM

How so? Can you post a picture that describes that?

tlc
11/11/2016, 09:41 PM
I took the plunge and bought the k2-120. its only been set up for 24 hours. I do like to wet skim and it seems like I have to keep the gate practically closed in order for bubbles to reach the top of the neck. will having the gate practically closed decrease this skimmers performance ? seems like no exiting water would prevent proper circulation. the skimmer is sitting in 7 in of water

SpeedKilz
11/23/2016, 03:39 PM
I took the plunge and bought the k2-120. its only been set up for 24 hours. I do like to wet skim and it seems like I have to keep the gate practically closed in order for bubbles to reach the top of the neck. will having the gate practically closed decrease this skimmers performance ? seems like no exiting water would prevent proper circulation. the skimmer is sitting in 7 in of water

Has anything changed since it has broken in or is that gate still almost closed?

tlc
11/24/2016, 12:41 AM
speedkilz the gate valve is about 1/4 in open now but I did raise my skimmer water level to about 7.5 inches. the jury is still out on how well this skimmer is performing for me. I still think there is still some break in needed

Mike de Leon
01/10/2017, 09:19 AM
Any updates on the skimmer, good or bad? Looking to get the k2 200 for a 120 sps tank. Is this overkill and compromise efficiency?

Bluefish9
01/10/2017, 09:26 AM
Mine sits in 8.5" of water and skims very well. I do have the gate valve closed a lot to (in-between the 60&80 mark) but that helps with microbubbles. I have the k2-160 on a 150g fowlr that is still only 2 months old so its barely stocked for whatever thats worth (pair of black clowns, foxface and longnose butterfly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/2c82e5a802fda14bffed6d0727b6c611.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/af1e2139cac622cbca21b69b9dc2bfd9.jpg

Mike de Leon
01/10/2017, 09:45 AM
Thanks. Nice clean sump! For now :0) haha

Bluefish9
01/10/2017, 09:59 AM
Thanks. Nice clean sump! For now :0) haha

Thanks. I actually bought a bucket mounted shop vac from Home Depot. It snaps right onto a 5g bucket and whenever I see any crap appearing in the sump, I just vacuum it out during the next water change. That thing makes life so much easier lol.

Potatohead
01/10/2017, 10:05 AM
Any updates on the skimmer, good or bad? Looking to get the k2 200 for a 120 sps tank. Is this overkill and compromise efficiency?

I would get the 160 unless you have a huge fish load

Mike de Leon
01/10/2017, 11:06 AM
Thanks. I actually bought a bucket mounted shop vac from Home Depot. It snaps right onto a 5g bucket and whenever I see any crap appearing in the sump, I just vacuum it out during the next water change. That thing makes life so much easier lol.

show us a pic!

Bluefish9
01/10/2017, 11:58 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/915e4a18a757308847e32f56c5afc3b1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/a6a3c53fb45cf810bcc1a24b1f4a9e20.jpg

Potatohead
01/10/2017, 12:18 PM
Buckethead pics

What attachment are you using on the end of the hose?

I bought a 4g 3hp little ShopVac for this job, but it fills the bucket in literally like three or four seconds (lol). I am wondering if I use a smaller attachment on the end of the hose, like a crevice tool, if it will take longer.

Mike de Leon
01/10/2017, 12:56 PM
I would get the 160 unless you have a huge fish load

It will be a medium fish load.

Mike de Leon
01/10/2017, 05:22 PM
So i ordered the K200. See what happens!

tlc
01/10/2017, 06:07 PM
honestly I pulled mine out. 2 months and minimal skimmate. I just couldn't get it tuned. the skimmer either didn't skim at all or it was very wet. I replaced it with a lifereef and oh my what a difference. my sump does fluctuate about 1/2 inch in water level. I think the k2 needs a very consistent sump level to perform right..

moondoggy4
01/10/2017, 08:12 PM
I found that he wet dry vacs work better with the 7 gallon buckets. More volume does not shut off as fast.

Potatohead
01/10/2017, 11:19 PM
honestly I pulled mine out. 2 months and minimal skimmate. I just couldn't get it tuned. the skimmer either didn't skim at all or it was very wet. I replaced it with a lifereef and oh my what a difference. my sump does fluctuate about 1/2 inch in water level. I think the k2 needs a very consistent sump level to perform right..

All needle wheel skimmers do. Installing a baffle is typically pretty simple and then the skimmer will perform properly. The water level in the skimmer is totally dependent on the water level outside.

tlc
01/10/2017, 11:55 PM
potatohead i think the k2 is a very well built skimmer however, once i put the lifereef in there is no comparison. i pulled out more gunk in 2 days with the lifereef then i did in 2 months with the k2. maybe the unstable sump level was the problem with the k2. i bought the lifereef used over 15 years ago and its churning water like a champ

mannyhernz
01/11/2017, 07:54 AM
potatohead i think the k2 is a very well built skimmer however, once i put the lifereef in there is no comparison. i pulled out more gunk in 2 days with the lifereef then i did in 2 months with the k2. maybe the unstable sump level was the problem with the k2. i bought the lifereef used over 15 years ago and its churning water like a champ
Was looking to purchase this 120 model. I have a stable level in my sump. Other than that, good buy?..

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Kyl
01/11/2017, 09:17 AM
Was looking to purchase this 120 model. I have a stable level in my sump. Other than that, good buy?..

I would buy mine again, but have no experience with other similarly sized skimmers to base an opinion against another with. It pulls dark skim, I empty it once per week when doing a WC and it's quiet.

Not much else to it, I think that's what everyone wants?

mannyhernz
01/11/2017, 11:13 AM
I would buy mine again, but have no experience with other similarly sized skimmers to base an opinion against another with. It pulls dark skim, I empty it once per week when doing a WC and it's quiet.

Not much else to it, I think that's what everyone wants?

Yea, sounds like a good skimmer. What's your bio load like? How big of a tank can it handle under heavy bio load?

Mike de Leon
01/17/2017, 05:33 PM
Just got mine hooked up and running for half hour. Already skim mate is starting to form.
I have the air intake wide open. Literally tons of bubbles.
I have owned a Vertex Alpha cone 170. I would say the quality build is about the same. I have always hated the old bayonette style for water level control.
Very unpredictable.

The pump is very quite. With the air intake wide open there is no hissing sound at all.

I really like the new gate valve a few companies are using these days.
This one with IceCap is well executed. Extremely easy to adjust and robust.

I would rate this skimmer, as of today 10 out of 10

for quality, performance and value in it's class...

moondoggy4
01/17/2017, 08:29 PM
The gate valve looks like the old Ati BubbleMaster skimmer type.

Mike de Leon
01/19/2017, 06:47 PM
Sure does, just a more robust design. So after two days I have a close to 1" of skimmate in the Collection cup for a lightly stocked 120. Best one I owned.

Bluefish9
01/19/2017, 06:52 PM
Sure does, just a more robust design. So after two days I have a close to 1" of skimmate in the Collection cup for a lightly stocked 120. Best one I owned.

Wet or dry skimmate? And also how many inches of water is it sitting in?

Mike de Leon
01/19/2017, 07:40 PM
Wet or dry skimmate? And also how many inches of water is it sitting in?

Semi dry skim. Sitting in 9.5" of water, constant.

Bluefish9
01/19/2017, 07:42 PM
Odd. Im in 8.5" steady and can only skim wet.

Mike de Leon
01/19/2017, 08:51 PM
Is your air intake wide open or restricted? My guess is your tank is still too clean.
allow for more air and lower your water level.

Bluefish9
01/21/2017, 10:47 AM
Its fully open. Yes, my new build is still in its infancy- a 150g half-way stocked FOWLR.
(Although my damn foxface produces the same amount of poo as a Sea World lol)

https://vimeo.com/200483570

Mike de Leon
01/21/2017, 12:07 PM
Mine just overflowed last night. I guess it's still breaking in. So much more bubbles now...

Jeremy1988
01/22/2017, 01:50 PM
I have had my skimmer about 9 months now...it actually took me a while to dial it in...and for some reason mine was erratic, so I really had to barely turn the knob to get it right, now it seems to be perfect, or very close! I like it. I did try and clean out the pump inside during maintenance and the shaft split...other than that I ordered a new pump and its worked great! I think its important to make sure the skimmer cap is sealed on nice and tight too. When I dump it would I find its best to just kinda wiggle it while slightly pulling it up, if not you spill stuff everywhere!

mannyhernz
01/23/2017, 11:25 PM
I have had my skimmer about 9 months now...it actually took me a while to dial it in...and for some reason mine was erratic, so I really had to barely turn the knob to get it right, now it seems to be perfect, or very close! I like it. I did try and clean out the pump inside during maintenance and the shaft split...other than that I ordered a new pump and its worked great! I think its important to make sure the skimmer cap is sealed on nice and tight too. When I dump it would I find its best to just kinda wiggle it while slightly pulling it up, if not you spill stuff everywhere!
What model?
Can you post pics of water level and gate level?

Dizzle63
02/01/2017, 07:58 PM
Just installed my k2-160 on my 75 gallon. Very quiet. Would love to hear how these skimmers are performing.

mannyhernz
02/14/2017, 06:56 AM
I have had mine on for a week..this is my skimmate, its basically an empty tank right now with just a powder blue swimmin around.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170214/552e22fcbf211d3383552a7fcb064794.jpg

ashish
02/14/2017, 02:24 PM
I just picked up the k2-160. Build quality and acrylic work are excellent. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/bd27faba02a43ae95d505afe9ee4439b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/5bc79f28fe033370d56102983fd322b3.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161002/4bcc5aa9b6d3aedf3a473e37bcaa92a0.jpg

This is awesome. I just ordered the 36XL sump and it arrived today morning. 1st pictures I've seen of exactly same thing I plan on doing - so I am happy with how your sump looks. Good job

solitude127
02/21/2017, 05:42 PM
Anybody else have experience with the K2-50? I'm thinking of one for my RedSea 170.

Mike de Leon
02/21/2017, 05:46 PM
they are very good skimmers for the money. Only had to adjust mine once. This is my 6th skimmer thruout the years. Best one yet.

Chris Abbott
02/22/2017, 11:47 AM
Just wanted to add that I am very pleased with my 200. Great build quality and value. Running a mixed 90, 60 cube fuge, and 60 gallon frag setup.

mannyhernz
02/22/2017, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to add that I am very pleased with my 200. Great build quality and value. Running a mixed 90, 60 cube fuge, and 60 gallon frag setup.
Any pictures of the skimmate production?

f3honda4me
02/23/2017, 08:17 AM
Anybody else have experience with the K2-50? I'm thinking of one for my RedSea 170.

My k2-50 will be here Friday for my reefer 170

f3honda4me
02/26/2017, 08:01 AM
So I ran my k2-50 in water/vinegar overnight first, then put it in my sump. But so far it's just bubbling over constantly even with the gate full open. It's in 7.5" of water. More breaking in needed I guess?

sofloreef
03/04/2017, 07:51 PM
I have a heavily stocked 90 gal.
Looking to upgrade to a 150 upon moving in September.
This skimmer would be good for a well stocked 150 as well?
Seems to be the only one that will fit in my sump as I only have 9in by 13.5 inches

f3honda4me
03/04/2017, 08:25 PM
So I ran my k2-50 in water/vinegar overnight first, then put it in my sump. But so far it's just bubbling over constantly even with the gate full open. It's in 7.5" of water. More breaking in needed I guess?

So it was the jb water weld. Now that that's worked out the skimmer is running great.

blizzardscout2
04/11/2017, 06:44 PM
How is the K2-50 for Reefer 170?

mwilliams62
04/17/2017, 03:18 PM
So far I have only seen post mostly for the smaller Ice Cap K2 skimmers.
I am looking for any reviews and pictures of the Ice Cap K2 200 skimmer in action. Right now I am shopping for a skimmer that will be good for a 180 gallon mixed reef and will probably be a heavy bio load. How is the sound on the K2-200? Skimate? What is the best depth of water it needs to be in? All that good stuff....

mwilliams62
04/25/2017, 11:42 AM
I just got my IceCap K2-200 aND when I was putting it together the skimmer body and pump would not line up properly to insert the ventrui . Did anyone else have this issue?

Potatohead
04/25/2017, 12:46 PM
I just got my IceCap K2-200 aND when I was putting it together the skimmer body and pump would not line up properly to insert the ventrui . Did anyone else have this issue?

Are you sure the pump is facing the right way? Sometimes they only work one direction.

Mike de Leon
04/25/2017, 08:09 PM

yes ive had the same issue. I forced mine in. No problem. Skims like a rock star.

mwilliams62
04/25/2017, 08:32 PM
Are you sure the pump is facing the right way? Sometimes they only work one direction.

Yes the pump is sitting in the blue brackets correctly.

mwilliams62
04/25/2017, 08:36 PM
yes ive had the same issue. I forced mine in. No problem. Skims like a rock star.

Thanks. Just ended up losing up the screws so it would line up correctly.

Suji
05/25/2017, 11:56 AM
Hi I just got the k2-50 skimmer for my 20 long / 10 gallon sump
Running it in 8inches.

How long did it take you guys for it to break in? I put it in vinegar and water for couple of hours first. Where do you set the bubbles? I left it in between the neck? I always had oversized skimmers and they never worked well with low bioload , now finally I got one that's the correct size I hope it works out well.

Suji
05/25/2017, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new skimmer for my 20 long reef with 10 gallon sump
Icecap K2-50 skimmer. Ran it with vinegar/water for couple of hours.
Recommended water level =6-9 inches , I saw some reviews someone had at it at 8 and it was good.

My baffle is 9 so I made eggcrate and raised it to 8.
Where do I leave the bubble in the skimmer? Right now when I turn it on with no foam head I left it on where the neck connects to the body.

Here is the skimmer running on day 2 with foam head? The bubbles are big in the neck but if I raise it higher the bubble gets smaller but skins wetter?

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/x56VXx_gxZw

mannyhernz
05/25/2017, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new skimmer for my 20 long reef with 10 gallon sump
Icecap K2-50 skimmer. Ran it with vinegar/water for couple of hours.
Recommended water level =6-9 inches , I saw some reviews someone had at it at 8 and it was good.

My baffle is 9 so I made eggcrate and raised it to 8.
Where do I leave the bubble in the skimmer? Right now when I turn it on with no foam head I left it on where the neck connects to the body.

Here is the skimmer running on day 2 with foam head? The bubbles are big in the neck but if I raise it higher the bubble gets smaller but skins wetter?

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/x56VXx_gxZw
Thats a good level. Let it break in and you will start seeing it skim.. these skimmers arent for impatient reefers. I almost sold mine because i couldnt dial it in like i used to do with other skimmers. I took coral vue's advice..set it and forget it..that did the trick in like 3 days.

Suji
05/25/2017, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, when you say set it and forget it lol where I set it it's good? I saw a video on YouTube by mr.saltwater tank it's called fine tuning a protein skimmer how the bubbles in the neck has to be tiny to be efficient?

mannyhernz
05/25/2017, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, when you say set it and forget it lol where I set it it's good? I saw a video on YouTube by mr.saltwater tank it's called fine tuning a protein skimmer how the bubbles in the neck has to be tiny to be efficient?
Yes where you have it is good.
Remeber in my post i stated this skimmer is different to adjust than others i was used to? Thats what i meant. My bubbles are exactly where yours are. There should be pea sized bubbles right at the base of the collection cup. I used to adjust my skimmers a little higher but like i said...seems like these are a different beast altogether. Wait couple of days where you have it. Honestly when i checked mine was more like a week.

Suji
05/25/2017, 08:37 PM
This is the video I'm referring too
https://youtu.be/p6_t5ziZ3vU

This is my first skimmer that's not oversized I always had oversized skimmers that never skim and if it does only super wet hopefully this one works out!

mannyhernz
05/25/2017, 08:38 PM
This is the video I'm referring too
https://youtu.be/p6_t5ziZ3vU

This is my first skimmer that's not oversized I always had oversized skimmers that never skim and if it does only super wet hopefully this one works out!
Yea..seen that vid before.
Doesnt apply to icecap skimmers...😂

Suji
05/25/2017, 09:09 PM
I tried my old tunze 9010 rated for 150 gallons but this thing sucks if I feed for it to build foamhead again takes like 7 hours lol and it could never skim dry because the cup is way too big for my tank
https://youtu.be/VpsRN1p9EE4

slojim
06/04/2017, 04:56 PM
I have a K2 160 for a 110. I am using a Rubbermaid sump until I am ready for something more purposeful. I am considering putting a bucket in the sump to create a constant level chamber for the skimmer. I'd cut the bucket down to about 9", and if I want to drop the level, I can always cut a notch or weir in the side. Anybody try anything like this?

sleepydoc
06/04/2017, 09:55 PM
I have a K2 160 for a 110. I am using a Rubbermaid sump until I am ready for something more purposeful. I am considering putting a bucket in the sump to create a constant level chamber for the skimmer. I'd cut the bucket down to about 9", and if I want to drop the level, I can always cut a notch or weir in the side. Anybody try anything like this?

No, but it should work. No real difference between doing that and adding a glass baffle in a traditional sump.

Mike de Leon
09/17/2017, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

So after 10 months of use the pump is making a lot of unbearable noise. Not sure what's up. Cleaned it a couple of times to no avail. I might need a new pump. Any insights?

Thanks in advance.

sleepydoc
09/18/2017, 10:59 PM
You don't say how you cleaned it, but have you taken it out and soaked/run it in a vinegar bath?

Are you sure the noise is from the pump? Have you checked the impeller?

Mike de Leon
09/19/2017, 06:59 PM
You don't say how you cleaned it, but have you taken it out and soaked/run it in a vinegar bath?

Are you sure the noise is from the pump? Have you checked the impeller?

Good idea, I will try the vinegar bath. The noise is from the pump for sure. Impeller is intact.
Thanks and cheers!

mannyhernz
09/20/2017, 09:02 AM
Mine had some noise coming from pump..took it out and the impeller was broken. Replaced it and it is good now

jcs401
09/22/2017, 10:07 AM
My PS200 arrived today, thanks to Premium Aquatics for super fast shipping. So far, I am pleased with my purchase. My only concern is the fact that the water level in my sump is only 7.25 inches. Build quality is great, and it is quiet imo.

Are the dimensions on the skimmer correct? im trying to fit the ps200 in my trigger 26 sump which has a section of 8.25"x 10"

Quartapound
04/03/2018, 04:46 AM
Figured I would bring this thread back to life, lol...

I just ordered the IceCap K2-200 skimmer, is everybody still liking theirs?

gargoylenest
04/03/2018, 06:08 AM
been running for 6 month for my 180 gal, does an awesome job at pulling out crap

Mike de Leon
04/03/2018, 10:16 AM
Figured I would bring this thread back to life, lol...

I just ordered the IceCap K2-200 skimmer, is everybody still liking theirs?

Cancel your order. Mine is just over a year old. Already had issues with the pump making so much noise. Replaced it with a new pump. Now the second pump is doing the same. Also, it's been overflowing quite a bit lately.
Very disappointed.

wishntoboutside
04/03/2018, 11:38 AM
the skimmers use a Sicce pump and these are very dependable and reliable.

Mike de Leon
04/03/2018, 12:26 PM
the skimmers use a Sicce pump and these are very dependable and reliable.

yup, PSK 1000, absolute crap.

mannyhernz
04/03/2018, 12:31 PM
I've had a k120 for quite a while now and it works like a champ, quiet as a mouse. I think it's the luck of the draw with most skimmers. Seen people complain even about the high end skimmers.

Freds
04/04/2018, 10:07 AM
Mine would run hot and seize. I do love sicce pumps and have found them to be reliable but the one I got was a lemon. I returned the skimmer and went in another direction. It was also really loud.

gargoylenest
04/04/2018, 11:00 AM
no noise complain from my k2 200. pump run great and dead silent. no overflow issue that I am not directly responsible of. I would not worry about your purchase.

joecc
04/05/2018, 08:25 AM
Hmm, these are the first sets of negative reports I've read on these.

Was thinking of buying the K2 120 vs the new RO Essence 130?

gargoylenest
04/05/2018, 09:29 AM
well, there are people to complain about everything, their Ferrari don't have enough luggage space, their private jet don't go fast enough... :o

Quartapound
04/17/2018, 03:22 PM
Well, so far, so good... This thing seems like a beast.

I'll update accordingly, I plan on posting a review once I've had enough time with the skimmer.

Here's the Unboxing and Assembly! :)

Hope you enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9NsWwXdZM