PDA

View Full Version : Tank too small for tangs? Try these alternatives.

Sk8r
04/01/2016, 10:14 AM
Small tanks--20-29 (one of kind on each)
Yellow---midas blenny
reddish---fairy wrasse with caution. Too small a tank and this won't do.
blue---yellowtail damsel
quirky---pearly jawfish, tailspot blenny; small striped gobies; small-species clown
browser---not so useful in small tank.

Medium tanks: 30-75.
Yellow---yellow watchman
Reddish---(caution with coral: flame angel, coral beauty); firefish (jumps: use screen) hawkfish, with cautions.
Blue---yellowtail damsel still a good choice. Only one, up to 75 gallons.
quirky---jawfish and blenny still good bets; small-species clown pair
browser; starry blenny:(changes color patterns very fast): you do need some algae for him.; algae blenny

100 gallon tanks:
Yellow---watchman still a good bet;
Gold---golden domino---shaped like a tang, bossy, dominant, maxes at about 5", and will run the tank; Do not combine with chromis, but otherwise they tend to ignore non-damsels unless the fish's swimming habit is wiggly or flitting. And they may wallow in nems or corals.
Black---black domino, ditto.
Also gold, various colors: clown pair can hold their own with damsels---they're damsels themselves. THe aggression level of maroon clowns and the dascycllus damsels (dominos, stripes, etc) is about the same. In the wild, multiple domino damsels host with magnifica nems, so that situation might be unpredictible with possessive clowns.
Red---various dwarf angels (caution with corals). Firefish too nervous for damsels.
Blue---Blue Fiji Devil; small number yellowtails; blue star damsel;
Black and white stripe---3 stripe dascyllus damsel; do not combine with chromis.
quirky---various jawfish (do not combine with damsels under 150 gallon), filefish, hawkfish, (one of kind); gobies;
browser---damsels do this; so will angels; so will algae blennies.

jd371
04/01/2016, 11:11 AM
Will an algae blenny get along with a Midas? I currently have a Royal Gramma, Melanarus Wrasse, 2 T/P Clowns, Fire Fish and Midas Blenny. I wanted to add one more fish to my 75 gal. and was thinking of a Mandarin but I don't think I have enough pods to sustain it and since I do have algae the Blenny might be the better choice.

Sk8r
04/01/2016, 11:48 AM
The tailspot almost certainly will, but they're quite small. The starry is more robust, about 3.5" and stout, and his pattern changes (a little like a cuttlefish) are amazing. He's only brown, or pinto white, or starry, or black, but he's those things real quickly. He does need some film algae to sustain him, and may eat spirulina.

brianr24
04/01/2016, 12:00 PM
What about yellow tail damsel in a 30 gallon with two osc.clowns.from what I understand it's hit or miss with the yellow tail. Also considering starcki.just not sure if I want the headaches.starcki or ytd not both.

Sk8r
04/01/2016, 12:27 PM
Should work. The clowns (who are also damsels) will be more aggressive, likely, than a yellowtail or a starcki---but only get one of the two, not both in a 30.
Usually, with damsels, if there's too little room, they may take out the ones they think they can take out; but if there's plenty of room, they absolutely ignore most other species of tankmate, and politic with each other over ownership of particular hangouts. One of the lot will typically grow larger than the rest, and boss everybody, but other fish are invisible to them unless they swim like prey species, worms and such.

brianr24
04/01/2016, 12:38 PM
Thx sk8ter

SNAKEMANVET
04/01/2016, 12:49 PM
I had a pair of yellow tails in a 28 nano with my clowns.They lived together for about 4 years.1 died of unknown reason and I gave the other away.Just watch for aggression.

anthonys51
04/01/2016, 04:12 PM
i have a 57 rimless. currently have a pink spot watchman, can i get a midas blenny

Sk8r
04/01/2016, 04:49 PM
Should be good---blennies and gobies get along pretty well IME.
Another pairing that works is a tailspot and starry blenny. Combining blennies can produce murderous fights (tank size has some to do with it).
Watchman will NOT get along well with another watchman, (again, depending on tank size) but will do ok with other gobies. Redstripes will mouth-measure at each other, but will get along ok with multiples in a tank 50 gallons or larger.

anthonys51
04/01/2016, 05:53 PM
thanks, wasn't sure since they have similar bodies, plus he will even attack my hand if i out it in tank

but i do want something yellow for my tank and i dont want to get a yellow tang or a yellow pyg angle

Thomeski
04/01/2016, 06:54 PM
So would yellow tail chromis work with royal gramma and hawkfish in 29? Royal keeps hes ground with hawk. Maybe a clown to the mix? Or its asking for trouble?

Sk8r
04/01/2016, 08:10 PM
You mean 'yellowtail damsel,' and yes, probably he can hold his own. Damsels don't take too much guff. But the yellowtails stay fairly small, so he won't push the gramma about, either.

RonMc
04/02/2016, 06:56 AM
What a great post.
I have been looking for compatible fish by color to add to my tank and this is very helpful.
Thank-You Sk8r

Thomeski
04/02/2016, 12:39 PM
You mean 'yellowtail damsel,' and yes, probably he can hold his own. Damsels don't take too much guff. But the yellowtails stay fairly small, so he won't push the gramma about, either.

Yes thats what i meant, thanks for help. Damsel it is

Sk8r
04/02/2016, 09:30 PM
:) One reason to distinguish strongly between damsels and chromis is that they don't like each other much---dascyllus damsels seem passionately opposed to them and will hunt them down, while utterly ignoring other species.

michellejy
04/03/2016, 06:54 AM
Small tanks--20-29 (one of kind on each)
Yellow---midas blenny
reddish---fairy wrasse with caution. Too small a tank and this won't do.
blue---yellowtail damsel
quirky---pearly jawfish, tailspot blenny; small striped gobies; small-species clown
browser---not so useful in small tank.

Medium tanks: 30-75.
Yellow---yellow watchman
Reddish---(caution with coral: flame angel, coral beauty); firefish (jumps: use screen) hawkfish, with cautions.
Blue---yellowtail damsel still a good choice. Only one, up to 75 gallons.
quirky---jawfish and blenny still good bets; small-species clown pair
browser; starry blenny:(changes color patterns very fast): you do need some algae for him.; algae blenny

100 gallon tanks:
Yellow---watchman still a good bet;
Gold---golden domino---shaped like a tang, bossy, dominant, maxes at about 5", and will run the tank; Do not combine with chromis, but otherwise they tend to ignore non-damsels unless the fish's swimming habit is wiggly or flitting. And they may wallow in nems or corals.
Black---black domino, ditto.
Also gold, various colors: clown pair can hold their own with damsels---they're damsels themselves. THe aggression level of maroon clowns and the dascycllus damsels (dominos, stripes, etc) is about the same. In the wild, multiple domino damsels host with magnifica nems, so that situation might be unpredictible with possessive clowns.
Red---various dwarf angels (caution with corals). Firefish too nervous for damsels.
Blue---Blue Fiji Devil; small number yellowtails; blue star damsel;
Black and white stripe---3 stripe dascyllus damsel; do not combine with chromis.
quirky---various jawfish (do not combine with damsels under 150 gallon), filefish, hawkfish, (one of kind); gobies;
browser---damsels do this; so will angels; so will algae blennies.

I just wanted to highlight that you don't recommend jawfish with damsels since you mentioned that in the large tank section but not the others. :)

mmark
04/03/2016, 06:56 AM
Always loved the look of the Midas Benny. Maybe in my next tank. I'm exceeding my fish limit now in my 29---but everything works.
two clowns --one black
Bangii carnal
Royal gramma
Yellow tail damsel
All get along just fine and I have a good mix of colorful small fish. Only issue I had early on was the yellow tail picked on the royal gramma when she was first added but once she got comfortable --she barked back. I started adding these two years ago when I started my tank. Took about 6 months-- so these guys have been together well over a year and get along very well.

Sk8r---always read your posts when I see them. Very big asset to all of us new hobbiest. Thanks.

Sk8r
04/03/2016, 10:04 AM
SOme of the larger jawfish like the blue-head can probably hold their own fine. The little pearlys, I'm not sure. They're lightcolored, they're delicate, they wiggle, and they run. This worries me. And the chrysiptera species damsels might be ok with them, but think of dascyllus species as sort of like maroon clowns, which they strongly resemble in every respect including hosting an anemone (magnifica)---they get big and they're pushy. The golden domino, nearly 5 inches counting tail, and plate-shaped, buzzes like a rattlesnake when disturbed and I wouldn't be surprised if that buzz disturbs the fish it's after---it'd sure disturb me, and it's loud enough to hear across the room. The crysipteras like the Fiji Blue Devil and the yellow-tails, probably ok with jawfish. If someone has definite knowledge, I'd like to know.

michellejy
04/03/2016, 01:09 PM
SOme of the larger jawfish like the blue-head can probably hold their own fine. The little pearlys, I'm not sure. They're lightcolored, they're delicate, they wiggle, and they run. This worries me. And the chrysiptera species damsels might be ok with them, but think of dascyllus species as sort of like maroon clowns, which they strongly resemble in every respect including hosting an anemone (magnifica)---they get big and they're pushy. The golden domino, nearly 5 inches counting tail, and plate-shaped, buzzes like a rattlesnake when disturbed and I wouldn't be surprised if that buzz disturbs the fish it's after---it'd sure disturb me, and it's loud enough to hear across the room. The crysipteras like the Fiji Blue Devil and the yellow-tails, probably ok with jawfish. If someone has definite knowledge, I'd like to know.

I was curious because I am hoping to have a blue spot or pearly with a Starcki Damsel in the same tank. I have had a blue spot jawfish before, but I have never had a damsel aside from clowns.

Sk8r
04/03/2016, 02:19 PM
Damsel reputation for aggression is largely founded on dascyllus species and the neoglyphydon species, both of which have the disposition of maroon clowns and the size to become a problem. They also really hate to be crowded, and stores keep selling them to people with small tanks. The chrysipteras are generally milder, and rarely bother a non-damsel, or anything else for that matter, given enough room to feel safe. Your starckii is a chrysiptera, sharing color pattern with the yellowtail and the azure...lot of blue chrysipteras, and I've never had one be a problem to other fish---again, given enough room. One-of-a-kind is the best rule with damsels because, as you've seen with clowns, (who are also damsels) a pair can get cranky and pushy once they establish territory.

michellejy
04/03/2016, 03:12 PM
Thanks.