PDA

View Full Version : Tim's IM Nuvo 30L

timc1357
04/01/2016, 10:24 AM
Hey guys,
Been a fish guy since I was 5. Had a buncha fresh tanks, then when I was about 30 I had fish only 55 gal. and a 30 gal. saltwater. Diver for many years, certified diver when I was 13 diving off the coast of Cali and Maui. Got out of it for 25 years and now I'm back doing a small reef tank. I'm going to post my progress so I can get some feedback etc. Coming up in my next post I will explain my progress. Hopefully it will help others wanting to start a small tank!

timc1357
04/01/2016, 10:35 AM
Found this tank on craigslist, got the tank, stand, pump, heater, sand (chucked it in case it's polluted), skimmer IM, Orbit light 36" all for $700. The guy spent like $1200 and gave me the recipet and it was 3 months old! He bought a red sea 90 gallon and had to get rid of this because his wife was ****ed!

DylansGolden
04/01/2016, 10:47 AM
Love the IM Nuvo Series. My Nuvo Fusion 20 build is on this fourm, check it out!

Also do you still dive? I'm looking to get into free diving/ Ab diving/ and Spearfishing. Haven't ever been before, have a few buddies from work that dive but they are always busy and I'm looking to go out with someone experience for my first time.

timc1357
04/01/2016, 10:51 AM
After I got the tank where I wanted it with 6 inches off the wall and room on the side so I can work back there, I got new live sand, 29 lbs. of live rock, Bought the saltwater from the lfs. I set up my aquascape (rough for now) and away we go.
oh BTW I cleaned the hell out of the tank before I put the new sand and rock so it was like new almost. A few tough salt stains but that about it. I made sure I got the back sump area cleaned out really good, never know what nasty stuff was in there.
The pumps, heater and light are like new and all worked perfect. Check it out.

timc1357
04/01/2016, 10:55 AM
DylansGolden,
I have not been diving in about 5 years but I am a scuba diver, never did any free diving etc. Be careful, the sea is no joke, I've had some close calls at 119 feet deep :) and I had a tank!
I am always connected to the sea in some way and I love looking at tanks so I'll check your out dude.

timc1357
04/01/2016, 11:03 AM
OK Guys,
The next thing I did was read like crazy and learn. Reefs have a lot of stuff that fish only do not. Got myself the test kits, salinity refractometer, thermometers, and an RD/DI unit and I'm setting it up in my house. If there's one thin I don't want is to be beholden to the lfs for water.
I got my RO'DI unit at Bulk Reef Supply, good stuff.:hammer:

timc1357
04/01/2016, 11:44 AM
OK Guys the tank cycled really quick with that live sand and live rock and lfs water, I also got the Tunze top off, this thing evaporates quick and the stand fits the 5 gal. jug perfect. I also got a power head, cheap one for now about 850 gph and things are flowing nicely. My RO/DI process is working good and I got some critters to start munching the algae.You gotta see them at night it's so cool.
These little guys went to town. I got snails, conch, banded shrimp, emerald crab, blue legged hermit and a porcupine urchin. Never had an urchin and this things is like a lawn mower. Within 2 days they cleaned most of the rock. I'm going to leave it for a while now, maybe 2 weeks. All my test levels are sweet and going to do a 5 gal. water change this weekend, got some red sea salt, siphon thing that has a sand cleaning head, a power head and a heater for that.
Oh and I took a piece of shrimp from the grocery store and cut a tiny tiny piece and gave it to the banded coral shrimp and he snatched it right off of a long toothpick I had. Pretty cool.

DieselboyReefer
04/26/2016, 01:22 PM
How is the powerhead working for you? I am having trouble finding the best one. It seems like I have too much flow with the 850...