PDA

View Full Version : My Tank?

drillsar
04/01/2016, 02:22 PM
Ok I tested for Ammonia yesterday and was 0.25 and Nitrites 1.05ppm so I did a water change of 15 gallons. I tested today Ammonia 0, Nitrites .50 ppm, Do I need to do another water change? Sadly I lost a Brittle Star thinking because of high Nitrite.

drillsar
04/01/2016, 08:00 PM
Ok tested ammonia tnt and now it's between .50 and 1. I am thinking one of the sponges is decaying so maybe that's why? I guess need to due emergency water change tnt. Thoughts?

liverock
04/02/2016, 06:19 AM
Ok tested ammonia tnt and now it's between .50 and 1. I am thinking one of the sponges is decaying so maybe that's why? I guess need to due emergency water change tnt. Thoughts?

Don't change any water unless the ammonia goes over 1ppm.....the tank is cycling.....and changing too much water slows the cycle...if in doubt about a sponge, ditch it...

wooglin
04/04/2016, 01:59 PM
Don't touch anything but something that is totally gone (perhaps a sponge). The first part is intended to have some decay. The way we do maintenance when setting up a new tank that does not have the TBS Package" is to put in some dead fish with the not so live rock (non TBS rock). This starts the process of cycling the tank which builds the bacteria that is needed for successful cycling of nutrients that will occur once life is added to the tank.

You will be well on your way shortly as the small cycle completes.

An example of how well this works is if I add more TBS rock to my already established tank, it will cause no movement when testing. The reason is my tank has established enough bacteria to handle introduction of the rock without effect on my other inhabitants. Another example is if a fish dies in my tank its no worries, I leave it and let the critter eat it.

Your going to love your second shipment, it is alot of fun.