PDA

View Full Version : Bta just sits on sand???

slickace17
04/02/2016, 06:15 AM
I have a bright green BTA that I just got yesterday that I was told by my lfs store is healthy. When I introduced him to my tank he just lays in tge sand he looks healthy and everything I have an example picture of what he looks like. 346710 he lays just like that.... What do you guys recommend? My other BTA is doing fine and healthy.... is this a certain type if bta?

JohnnyHildo
04/02/2016, 08:22 AM
i'm sure like any coral it has an acclimation period where it'll appear less active. give it a few days to figure things out.

Nina51
04/02/2016, 09:28 AM
if yours is like the one in the picture, it looks more like a condy anemone. they bury their foot in the sand or in a rock crevice. they will also walk all over the place to find the spot they want to stay in. sometimes they stay, sometimes they walk around more.

slickace17
04/02/2016, 10:14 AM
if yours is like the one in the picture, it looks more like a condy anemone. they bury their foot in the sand or in a rock crevice. they will also walk all over the place to find the spot they want to stay in. sometimes they stay, sometimes they walk around more.
My lfs told me it was a bubble tip anemone and sure charged me the price of a bta I don't care for condys that much but it doesn't move or really that much here is a pic of him346728

slickace17
04/02/2016, 10:19 AM
i'm sure like any coral it has an acclimation period where it'll appear less active. give it a few days to figure things out.
I acclimated him for almost two hours and when I got him out of store he was laying like that too...his mouth is also open a lil too

brianr24
04/02/2016, 10:26 AM
I don't have any experience with anemones. Butt I'm pretty sure mouth open is bad thing. And just bye the position of it in the photo. Doesn't look good.maybe think about returning it to lfs especially if that's what it was doing when you bought it.

JohnnyHildo
04/02/2016, 10:27 AM
I acclimated him for almost two hours and when I got him out of store he was laying like that too...his mouth is also open a lil too
i have no doubts you took the correct steps to introduce the animal to your system. i guess should be more specific. what i really mean is getting past the shock of being bagged and transferred to a new home with slight changes in the water chemistry.
all of my corals look far better a week after being introduced than they do the hour after being dumped into the system.
basically, be patient :)

slickace17
04/02/2016, 10:32 AM
i have no doubts you took the correct steps to introduce the animal to your system. i guess should be more specific. what i really mean is getting past the shock of being bagged and transferred to a new home with slight changes in the water chemistry.
all of my corals look far better a week after being introduced than they do the hour after being dumped into the system.
basically, be patient :)
Ok Ill try to be patient but my lfs store guy is an Asian nothing funny but he is kind of skittish on return policies that's why I was thinking about taking it back today but I will try to be patient I just don't want it to perish it is such a beautiful specimen

bmackcw
04/02/2016, 12:13 PM
How old is your tank? Anemones don't like tanks under a year old.

I'm not highly experienced with them (I have 2 carpets, 3 flower and two RBAs), but yours looks like a long-tentacle, not bubble. Bubbles sell for 80-100. Long-tentacles about 40-60 bucks.

slickace17
04/02/2016, 06:11 PM

I'm not highly experienced with them (I have 2 carpets, 3 flower and two RBAs), but yours looks like a long-tentacle, not bubble. Bubbles sell for 80-100. Long-tentacles about 40-60 bucks.
My tank is right at about two years old

frey
04/02/2016, 08:24 PM
best thing to do is leave it alone and it will move to where it wants to be. also from your picture I am about 99% sure its not a BTA. If the mouth is gaping open that's a bad thing. also when you moved it how was its foot? Things to look for when purchasing anenomies is that it is not bleached, its foot is not torn and its mouth is closed.

Dkuhlmann
04/03/2016, 01:06 AM
Need some better pictures but I'm pretty sure that's an LTA not a BTA. LTA's live in the sand and BTA's live on the rocks, and there are some other differences as well. The color of the foot of that one appears to be an LTA need to see the mouth as well as better pictures of the tentacles. Do a close up if you can. I see your clown loves it :D

You also reinforced the reason that I don't recommend anything when someone says this is a picture of one just like mine but its not mine. A picture of the actual animal in questing is always needed. Thanks for posting yours, but just need some better pictures. This even though your anemone does appear to be the same as the first picture you provided and it's also an LTA.

slickace17
04/03/2016, 05:13 PM
Need some better pictures but I'm pretty sure that's an LTA not a BTA. LTA's live in the sand and BTA's live on the rocks, and there are some other differences as well. The color of the foot of that one appears to be an LTA need to see the mouth as well as better pictures of the tentacles. Do a close up if you can. I see your clown loves it :D

You also reinforced the reason that I don't recommend anything when someone says this is a picture of one just like mine but its not mine. A picture of the actual animal in questing is always needed. Thanks for posting yours, but just need some better pictures. This even though your anemone does appear to be the same as the first picture you provided and it's also an LTA.
Ok Ill try to get some better pictures and it is starting to move a lil but it was only moving it seems to try and sting my frogspawn and his mouth is not gaping open its just slightly open... He is sticky though bc he was stuck to my frogspawn a little before I moved it and he is very responsive to touch here are more pics http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/5d9df0d9ee31d07dcb665a46b58a3880.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/cd6738a97603c913f79ea491932acae4.jpg

slickace17
04/03/2016, 05:21 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/94f78a3e5aa216aa89a781ee1d1b08ff.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/d00620c86301a3faa84f6c7a7e4c8941.jpg here are some more pics

Dave0331
04/03/2016, 05:24 PM
that is definitely not a bta. that's a condy which costs like 10$ in my area. I have 6 rainbow anemones so I know what a bta looks like.

slickace17
04/03/2016, 05:26 PM

Also I' had one this same color before and he had bubble tips but he wouldn't anchor himself down and floated around until he got chopped in my powerhead 😢 he was my favorite I want another like him....This was before I had my skimmer and had an eheim cannister filter ehhh...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/c4f4fc0139bf958ca8ae9ed23e961c9a.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/34964254e74b90ae363172630beaf477.jpg
best thing to do is leave it alone and it will move to where it wants to be. also from your picture I am about 99% sure its not a BTA. If the mouth is gaping open that's a bad thing. also when you moved it how was its foot? Things to look for when purchasing anenomies is that it is not bleached, its foot is not torn and its mouth is closed.

slickace17
04/05/2016, 09:00 AM
Someone please reply I need some assistance on this I appreciate the replies that I have already received... I tried putting him erect in the substrate but he still fell over

Nina51
04/05/2016, 09:43 AM
the more you mess with it, the more you will tick it off. i still say it's a condy, not a bta. a condy will move all over until IT finds a place it likes. it won't care where YOU put it. if it doesn't like the location, it'll take a walk.

i don't know what you paid but i'm sure you probably paid too much if it was sold to you as a bta. you will either have to take it back if the lfs allows returns or you will just have to leave it alone till it finds where it wants to be. and that's no guarantee it'll stay in that spot forever.

Shawn O
04/05/2016, 09:52 AM
Michael's and Walmart sell plastic canvas sheets (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Darice-Plastic-Canvas-12pk-10-1-2-x-13-1-2/27651823).

You can wrap these around the sides of your powerheads and ziptie them together. This may keep your nem from getting chopped up.

bmackcw
04/05/2016, 10:00 AM
You can try to cover him with sand which would hold him down for a bit. It worked once for me, but like others said, he will wander until he's happy.

slickace17
04/05/2016, 06:01 PM
the more you mess with it, the more you will tick it off. i still say it's a condy, not a bta. a condy will move all over until IT finds a place it likes. it won't care where YOU put it. if it doesn't like the location, it'll take a walk.

i don't know what you paid but i'm sure you probably paid too much if it was sold to you as a bta. you will either have to take it back if the lfs allows returns or you will just have to leave it alone till it finds where it wants to be. and that's no guarantee it'll stay in that spot forever.
I paid 35 for him and I think it is a long tentacle an enemy I look up some that would be his color and saw some pictures just like it he doesn't move at all just lays around on the substrate.... The current moves him a little tho that's about it

slickace17
04/05/2016, 06:04 PM
Michael's and Walmart sell plastic canvas sheets (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Darice-Plastic-Canvas-12pk-10-1-2-x-13-1-2/27651823).

You can wrap these around the sides of your powerheads and ziptie them together. This may keep your nem from getting chopped up.
I think I will try to leave him alone and see if he will move on his own like I said he is responsive to touch his mouth is slightly open a little bit but beside that he looks healthy besides not anchoring himself
You can try to cover him with sand which would hold him down for a bit. It worked once for me, but like others said, he will wander until he's happy.

Dkuhlmann
04/06/2016, 02:20 AM
I'm still going with LTA and they need a deep sand bed to anchor their foot. Why don't you try pushing some sand deeper in one area and then hollow out a hole to put his foot in then push the sand back around the foot. This is best at the base of a rock.

g_langley
04/06/2016, 05:59 AM
Also I' had one this same color before and he had bubble tips but he wouldn't anchor himself down and floated around until he got chopped in my powerhead �� he was my favorite I want another like him....This was before I had my skimmer and had an eheim cannister filter ehhh...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160403/34964254e74b90ae363172630beaf477.jpg

Do you still have the other BTA attached to the rock in that pic? He looks like mine did before I realised I was frying him with my LED's. I'm not sure what lights you have and what percentage they are running at, but just saying.

joshbrookkate
04/06/2016, 08:04 AM

I agree with the ID. LTA, not bubble tip. I have found them much more challenging to keep happy in my tank.
If I were you, I'd return him now. Get something that will be easier to care for.

slickace17
04/13/2016, 08:05 AM
Here he is still laying on side my clowns are trying to host him but he lays on his side and drifts around the tank... Any other people experience this???

slickace17
04/13/2016, 08:06 AM

Dkuhlmann
04/13/2016, 02:48 PM
I'm still going with LTA and they need a deep sand bed to anchor their foot. Why don't you try pushing some sand deeper in one area and then hollow out a hole to put his foot in then push the sand back around the foot. This is best at the base of a rock.

This is what you need to do to get it to anchor it's foot. I said this a week ago.

slickace17
04/16/2016, 05:08 AM
This is what you need to do to get it to anchor it's foot. I said this a week ago.
I have tried that numerous times he seems to just uproot himself or fatten his foot until he ejects himself from the position he seems to like laying on side

Nina51
04/16/2016, 06:00 AM
your substrate looks pretty course. i wonder if that is why he won't leave his foot buried when you try it. maybe it's irritating to him? wonder if he would bury and stay put if you had finer sand.

i dunno, just throwing out ideas. thinking which surface i would rather sit on...gravel or plush carpet. :)

Dkuhlmann
04/16/2016, 09:40 AM
Nina I think that's a great idea. Put a few cups of finer sand in the area where the OP would want the anemone and place it there and place the anemone like I suggested above.

Nina51
04/17/2016, 09:05 AM
yeah, that's what i was thinking. much easier than replacing the whole sand bed. hopefully, OP can figure this all out before the nem gets up close and personal with a power head.