PDA

View Full Version : Live Feeding views

mikedawg8898
04/02/2016, 09:01 PM
Just wondering what everyone's take is on feeding fish like puffers and groupers and any other agressive fish live shrimp and live fiddler crabs from a nearby bait shop. Like pros and Cons type thing and what's the benefits of shell-on live shellfish versus frozen shell-off shellfish. Thanks in advance

broke1
04/06/2016, 10:00 AM
I would seriously question the purity of baitshop quality live food. I would think anything for human consumption as in shellfish from the local grocery store would be fine, but short of Lobster, I haven't seen anything live in their cases.

Who knows where bait quality live food is bred or caught, I honestly have no idea but I'm sure somebody reading does.

Dinnin
04/17/2016, 06:54 AM
The amount and variety of chemicals in the estuaries where most shrimp are cought would stun you. I would dare put them in my tanks

PorkChop
04/22/2016, 01:23 PM
Yeah have to agree .. I'd be worried about parasites, diseases, etc.

If it's frozen from the store... most if that stuff is a mute point.

If you really want to do it.. I'd say you'd want to setup a small tank to keep them for a bit and make sure of health and all that before I'd put in my main tank.... and even then I'd most likely only do it from time to time as a treat type of thing.

-Porkchop