PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally damaged a sponge, will it grow back?

AUFishGuy
04/03/2016, 08:52 AM
I had a large branching frogspawn that i fragged this morning. in the base of the branches was a nice bright red sponge. when fragging a branch a small piece of the sponge was pulled off. will the sponge recover?

billdogg
04/03/2016, 09:18 AM
almost certainly yes. sponges are a large group of individual animals just like corals in that respect. consider it a frag.

Sugar Magnolia
04/03/2016, 09:20 AM
Yep, no worries.

snorvich
04/03/2016, 11:37 AM
What they said.

Ron Reefman
04/04/2016, 06:25 AM
Really guys? If the frogspawn was out of the water when fragged and the sponge was with it. Doesn't that mean the sponge was exposed to air and therefore is VERY likely to die a slow decaying death over the next 30 to 60 days? I've always understood that most sponges removed from the water get air tapped inside that they can't expel and then starve to death.

AUFishGuy
04/04/2016, 10:18 AM
Really guys? If the frogspawn was out of the water when fragged and the sponge was with it. Doesn't that mean the sponge was exposed to air and therefore is VERY likely to die a slow decaying death over the next 30 to 60 days? I've always understood that most sponges removed from the water get air tapped inside that they can't expel and then starve to death.

Didnt know that but I fragged the Frogspawn inside the tank so that shouldnt be an issue

Tweaked
04/04/2016, 10:19 AM

This, but it is also not clear if the fragging was done under water??

Tweaked
04/04/2016, 10:19 AM
Didnt know that but I fragged the Frogspawn inside the tank so that shouldnt be an issue

Beat me to it. You should be fine then