PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to get the rear inner glass of your tank black...?

Salty150
04/04/2016, 11:34 AM
Is there any way to get the rear inner glass of your tank black?

I know you can paint or put up a black background on the outside of the rear glass - but I am trying to get that black plastic overflow look to a tank that doesn't have it.

If this makes any sense...

Johnseye
04/04/2016, 11:39 AM

I know you can paint or put up a black background on the outside of the rear glass - but I am trying to get that black plastic overflow look to a tank that doesn't have it.

Miracles Aquariums did this with my tank, but I'm not sure if it's black glass or a black sheet embedded into the glass. It's nice because it's consistent, smooth and doesn't chip off. Try asking Derek at Miracles.

zelie_dad
04/04/2016, 11:45 AM

I have a modular marine overflow, and I painted my back glass black on the outside, and it is nearly invisible. Although I just started my tank, and I don't have reef lighting on it currently, I imagine it would be pretty hard to pick out once I do.

http://i.imgur.com/wwFPDbvh.jpg

Protoavis
04/04/2016, 05:03 PM
Black vynil

Salty150
04/15/2016, 02:45 PM
Black vynil

I am looking for something on the inside.

It just doesn't look the same on the outside.

FullBoreReefer
04/15/2016, 03:24 PM
Black acrylic sheet, cut to size and bevel or angle the cut so then it'll fit tight with the existing silicone joints. Run a new bead all the way around the new black acrylic panel so no debris get trapped behind it.

jrp1588
04/15/2016, 03:49 PM
Black acrylic sheet, cut to size and bevel or angle the cut so then it'll fit tight with the existing silicone joints. Run a new bead all the way around the new black acrylic panel so no debris get trapped behind it.

Probably about the only workable solution. Black vinyl will get damaged the first time you you to scrape algae off of it.

d2mini
04/15/2016, 03:58 PM
Not sure why you want to do it?
The acrylic is harder to keep clean than glass.
And if you are not going to clean it, coralline algae will cover it up anyway.
Just paint or vinyl the back IMO.