PDA

View Full Version : Whoops my bad

Billybatz9
04/04/2016, 01:50 PM
I was cleaning my fish tank today, because I was going to start adding water tomorrow and noticed there was hard algae still on, so the dummy said let me try a razor blade. As i was razoring, i got to razor happy and went too far, and now i cut my silicone and lifted it. What do you guys think? Should I add more black glue to it to seal it up?
http://i.imgur.com/nUga5dk.png

username in use
04/04/2016, 01:55 PM
You didn't catch the structural seam so you should be ok.

Tweaked
04/04/2016, 02:03 PM
yup you are fine and as it ages you will scrape allot it off. I've had urchins remove most of it as well.

Billybatz9
04/04/2016, 02:03 PM
You didn't catch the structural seam so you should be ok.

This is on second floor. I need it to be 100% ok. Lol so you don't think I should add me glue to Close up that seal.

slief
04/04/2016, 02:47 PM
This is on second floor. I need it to be 100% ok. Lol so you don't think I should add me glue to Close up that seal.

You cannot just add more "glue". New silicone will not stick to old silicone. You would have to remove all the silicone from all panels and reseal the entire tank. In looking at the photo, it's hard to tell what you did but given the fact that it's not really obvious, I think you are just fine leaving it alone.

Billybatz9
04/04/2016, 06:15 PM
You cannot just add more "glue". New silicone will not stick to old silicone. You would have to remove all the silicone from all panels and reseal the entire tank. In looking at the photo, it's hard to tell what you did but given the fact that it's not really obvious, I think you are just fine leaving it alone.

Thanks for response. If you see my thumb, directly across (where the seal ends) you will see a lighter black. That is the spot that the seal lifted up a little .

kozmic
04/04/2016, 06:24 PM
Thanks for response. If you see my thumb, directly across (where the seal ends) you will see a lighter black. That is the spot that the seal lifted up a little .

If it makes you feel any better, my 110g has so much edging lifted of the silicone that it drives my crazy, the algae that grows under the edges, that I can't easily wipe it off... that is really the only negative IMO... the over lapping silicone, while providing perhaps some bit of waterproofing, does not aid in the structural seam of the joint... having even and complete coverage between the two pieces without air bubbles, provides the strength to hold the pieces together.

It might also ease some concern if you which a few vids on how they join glass and/or acrylic for larger tanks and the weight of water they hold...

I would not even blink at the small mark you're pointing at with your thumb. :)

slief
04/04/2016, 06:38 PM

I don't think that will be an issue at all. I've seen much worse. Just make sure who ever is downstairs has an umbrella when they walk below the tank! :lmao: