PDA

View Full Version : Experienced reefer starting first SPS.

r3joe
04/04/2016, 05:00 PM
I'm not a newbie to the hobby but it's been almost four years since I've had an aquarium. I owned a 60 gallon aquarium that hosted LPS and softies and a 6 gallon aquarium that housed a harlequin shrimp pair.

SPS however is new to me, however. I rarely had to dose my 60 gallon when I was hosting LPS and softies and the lighting I had was four 48" T5 bulbs. I know I'm going to need something a little beefier than that. LED now seems like an option, and was mainly used for the smaller Nanos when I was in the hobby before, but as I read around the forums it seems LED in an SPS tank is a bit controversial.

It's unfortunate that I'm unable to salvage my equipment since I gave most of it to my brother, who's been MIA for the last two years. :( So, I'll end up having to buy some new equipment.

Preface:
JBJ 45 gallon AIO aquarium.
4 stage RO/Di unit for water purification.
Tunze 9004
As far as fish and other livestock: undecided. Obviously animals that are reef safe and wouldn't harm the corals.

Here are my questions:
Can I get away with a 1/15 chiller? I know if I run halides I probably would. LED, I might be a little safer. I would get the 1/10, but buying the same equipment twice just does something to me psychologically that I don't like! My apartment has good insulation but in the summer it does heat up a bit. I have to leave windows open.

Can I get away with a LED light fixture? I'm looking at the AquaIllumination Hydra 52 HD LED. It seems to be a popular light fixture around here. Wondering if this would provide the spectrum required for SPS at my aquarium depth or if I would have to just invest in some metal halides

With a LED light fixture, can I grow clams? SPS corals and Clams are things I've avoided with my last aquariums, mainly because I was really happy with my T5 lighting. I've always wanted one.

Can I auto-dose the top-off water? I've never had to dose either of my aquariums in the past, and they thrived very well. I know SPS corals would be sucking the nutrients out of the water and I'd have to dose them. Is it safe auto-dosing the top-off water? Is this the preferred way of doing it or should I auto-dose the tank directly? I ask this because I'm using an AIO kit and trying to minimize the "things" and "tubes" that I'll have to hang off behind it.

I know a lot of this is repetitive information and I did find some info regarding the LEDs but wanted to consolidate my questions into one document anyway.

Thanks for the help in advance!

frey
04/04/2016, 06:33 PM
IMO if your tank can stay 80-82 deg at most with whatever lighting you go with may not need a chiller. I am using the Hydra 52 HD's and they are growing SPS (various species), Clams(maxima and crocia), LPS, Softies and Nem's. Depending on what all you get into and your tanks individual needs you can dose Kalk to maintain alk and calc with a little ph boost using your ATO. I do not do it this way as I am afraid it will seize my float switches, but many people do it that way. I went to Walmart bought a 2 gal clear water dispenser, used some silicon, airline, and a airline valve. put kalk in there shake wait about 30 min and start a drip into my sump and control the rate with the valve.

killagoby
04/04/2016, 06:50 PM
I've got the Hydra 26 over a 70 gallon with a RBTA about 20" from the light. I run the light at only 60% power and it's plenty. I'm sure the 52 could support SPS like Frey said and you won't need a chiller with it

thegrun
04/04/2016, 06:58 PM
If you go with LEDs you should not need a chiller but may need a small fan to blow air across the water for cooling. Here is SoCal I haven't needed a chiller with any of my tanks since switching to LEDs.
I'm running Hydra 52s on my 120 gallon SPS dominated reef tank and the SPS looks great. Yes it would provide enough light for clams.
It's a little tricky using a dosing pump for fresh water as your evaporation rates are going to vary with temperature and humidity. SPS corals do not like variations in water parameters, so you would be better off with a true ATO system.

srizzutto
04/04/2016, 07:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, why go with $600 light when you could use SB LED lights for under $200
Thats what I use and I get excellent SPS growth
SPS growth isnt just based on lighting alone
In regards to dosing, I didnt start dosing until it was truly needed, now that I am dosing I use the BRS two part and a Jabeo 4 head dosing pump, and I dose directly into my sump. 12 times per day, alternating even and odd hours. Even hours ALK, odd Hours Calcium

killagoby
04/05/2016, 06:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, why go with $600 light when you could use SB LED lights for under $200
Thats what I use and I get excellent SPS growth
SPS growth isnt just based on lighting alone
In regards to dosing, I didnt start dosing until it was truly needed, now that I am dosing I use the BRS two part and a Jabeo 4 head dosing pump, and I dose directly into my sump. 12 times per day, alternating even and odd hours. Even hours ALK, odd Hours Calcium

What kind of LEDs are they using? By the size of them they look like the older Solaris LEDs

srizzutto
04/05/2016, 06:40 AM
What kind of LEDs are they using? By the size of them they look like the older Solaris LEDs

The 16" pro
Im not sure if the individual LED's are 3 or 5 watt
But you can email the company, they are very good at getting back quickly
There is also a FB page dedicated to them
I think is called LED Proof Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/603511806434292/

Ron Reefman
04/05/2016, 06:53 AM
Here are my questions:
Can I get away with a 1/15 chiller?
Can I get away with a LED light fixture?
With a LED light fixture, can I grow clams?
Can I auto-dose the top-off water?

A 1/15th or 1/10th hp chiller should be more than enough if you need one at all. I have a 180g that had 1000 watts of MH and a 1hp chiller. Here in SW Florida it ran 30 minutes of every hour 9 months out of the year. Now I have 198 3w leds and the chiller runs 2 minutes every half hour for 6 month of summer.

A good led is fine, it's all I use although after 3+ years with just leds, I'm considering adding a couple of t5 fluorescents to reduce the shadows due to the 'focused' led lights produce. It's not a big deal to me, just a tweek I'm considering.

A good led fixture can grow anything. And by good I don't mean expensive! There are really good quality leds made in China that are sold here and supported here that get less expensive all the time. I'd say 2 MarsAqua at under $90 each is at the lower limit if price is a big issue. ReefBreeders, OceanRevive and others have a range of very good quality fixtures. A Photon 16-V2 or 24-V2 is under $400, would give you enough light to grow anything and it can do sunrise/sunset if that's a feature you want.

I suppose you could dose the auto top off. I dose the sump and still manually top off as I think it keeps me more in touch with what is going on in my tanks (4). A simple but very reliable (medical grade) pump from reefdosingpumps.com can dose Ca and alk spread out over a 24 hour period. Mine does one drip of each every 30 or 45 seconds 24/7. They often sell one on ebay as a promotion. I got a spare a few months ago for just $95.

srizzutto
04/05/2016, 08:05 AM
A 1/15th or 1/10th hp chiller should be more than enough if you need one at all. I have a 180g that had 1000 watts of MH and a 1hp chiller. Here in SW Florida it ran 30 minutes of every hour 9 months out of the year. Now I have 198 3w leds and the chiller runs 2 minutes every half hour for 6 month of summer.

A good led is fine, it's all I use although after 3+ years with just leds, I'm considering adding a couple of t5 fluorescents to reduce the shadows due to the 'focused' led lights produce. It's not a big deal to me, just a tweek I'm considering.

A good led fixture can grow anything. And by good I don't mean expensive! There are really good quality leds made in China that are sold here and supported here that get less expensive all the time. I'd say 2 MarsAqua at under $90 each is at the lower limit if price is a big issue. ReefBreeders, OceanRevive and others have a range of very good quality fixtures. A Photon 16-V2 or 24-V2 is under $400, would give you enough light to grow anything and it can do sunrise/sunset if that's a feature you want.

I suppose you could dose the auto top off. I dose the sump and still manually top off as I think it keeps me more in touch with what is going on in my tanks (4). A simple but very reliable (medical grade) pump from reefdosingpumps.com can dose Ca and alk spread out over a 24 hour period. Mine does one drip of each every 30 or 45 seconds 24/7. They often sell one on ebay as a promotion. I got a spare a few months ago for just $95.

+1 Ron
i have two Mars Aquas on my 75, and grow SPS at all levels of the tank without issue.

I think I paid $80 for my Jebao 4 head dosing pump

The point is, this hobby doesn't HAVE to break the bank

Same with controllers, I bought a used (few months old) Reef keeper Elite for $275. Why didn't I go APEX? Because all I wanted to do was automate, I didn't need to know my PH at all hours of the day, i dont need emails about my tank all day etc. The person I bought it from went APEX he spent close to $1200.

Now don't get me wrong, the APEX is a great product and very versatile, but if you don't need it, why spend the money.

This is all IMHO and Im not trying to speak for anyone else, or put other equipment down

niladride
04/05/2016, 08:10 AM
I am also confused a lot with the type of light I need. I also do not want to spend a huge amount on lighting fixtures but in India, summer has started and it gets quite hot here. Hence, I am thinking of getting leds. But here, we do not get so much options to choose from.

:(

srizzutto
04/05/2016, 08:15 AM
I am also confused a lot with the type of light I need. I also do not want to spend a huge amount on lighting fixtures but in India, summer has started and it gets quite hot here. Hence, I am thinking of getting leds. But here, we do not get so much options to choose from.

Nila, Im sure Mars Aqua and SB Reef Lights will be one of your available options, Hell they are both made right across the border. However I may be naive living in the USA and having ALL choices at my fingertips.

moatdaddy
04/05/2016, 08:15 AM
you can go cheap chinese led, they are proven and grow sps. I use 8 bulb ati and on a separate tank have led. both will grow sps. I am sure you may have a type of ebay in india. if not visit alibaba.

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=coral+led

killagoby
04/05/2016, 08:58 AM

You can probably purchase lights online

niladride
04/06/2016, 03:00 AM
@srizzutto

Thanks for replying. None of the fish stores, online stores here import those brands, just recently, Chihiros led has hit the market, I am not sure how good it is. There are Sun sun products available but they are noway good. You have lots of options in USA but here, we have to only choose from very limited options.

@moatdaddy

I will check alibaba site but earlier when I searched for something else, I have found only links for bulk orders. Retail options, I have not found. Thanks for suggesting.

@killagoby

I can definitely buy from international sites, have got paypal account but the import duties and other unofficial payments to clear customs kill the deals.

happyhourhero
04/06/2016, 07:53 AM
SB Reef lights is what I run and they will ship wherever.

niladride
04/06/2016, 08:09 AM
^

Hey, thanks for replying, any specific link?

moatdaddy
04/06/2016, 08:24 AM
contact the alibaba seller, they will let you order one. remember they like to do business just like everyone. tell them you will write reviews and be a tester for other people in India. Your a HUGE market. selling you one may sell them hundreds, at least what i would tell them if they resist. Definitely worth your time trying.

srizzutto
04/06/2016, 12:48 PM
SB Reef lights is what I run and they will ship wherever.

I think tyhe problem isnt the willingness of the vendor to ship to India, the problem is all the extra fees he has to pay to actually get the product into the country. Probably doubles the price

r3joe
04/06/2016, 07:14 PM
A lot of useful replies. Ron Reefman, thank you for the information.

I've decided that I'm going to run without a chiller. I will install a fan that I'll have configured with my controller's temperature probe and see how my temps fair for a while.

I've also decided to look into cheaper lighting. You guys are right, $600 is a pretty heavy hit for lighting. I'll be researching some of the brands mentioned in this thread. If any of you know of any other lighting products I should be looking into that will support my needs, please feel free to let me know.

I've also made the decision to dose my aquarium and not the ATO reservoir.

Do any of you guys have any experience in battery backups or APCs? Is the event of a power outage, I would like to keep my pumps enabled. I remember several years ago my neighborhood had an outage and I rushed to the aquarium store to pick up battery powered pumps in attempt to keep my corals healthy. Last year, Los Angeles had a heat wave that resulted in a 3-day power outage due to old infrastructure in our power grid. I realize an outage that long would probably require a generator or a few backups, but I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice in this area?

niladride
04/07/2016, 04:20 AM
@srizzutto

You are absolutely right. Paying import fees and clearing the customs is a real pain. There are lots of unofficial cost too, I hope you understand. From personal opinion, its almost a 50% hike in the original price, also, customs is charged based on product fee + shipping cost, that increase the amount further.

My only chance is reputed big courier companies like Fedex / DHL who clears the customs on their own and you have to pay the fees during delivery. But the shipping cost for these companies are sky high.

niladride
04/08/2016, 02:20 AM
I have made contact with SBReeflights. They have already responded that shipping to India is possible. They will update me regarding shipping.

Warranty is 1 year outside India.