PDA

View Full Version : Zetazorb maintenance

CStrickland
04/05/2016, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I'm having a little trouble finding the procedure for rinsing my zeta zorb. I read someplace that you are supposed to use bleach, and someplace else that you are just supposed to spray it down with a sink sprayer.

What do you recommend?

SpectraPure
04/05/2016, 08:51 PM
sink sprayer should be fine. Don't expect the psi to go back up to 100%, but it should get there pretty close to. I am not sure about bleach. I wouldn't recommend it until I find out for sure if it is safe to use. I have always just used the sprayer.

Bleach is typically used to sterilize bladder tanks for drinking water systems. In order to use bleach you have to remove all of the filters as I think it would destroy them. I think it would do the same to the Zeta Zorb, but I will find out.

Jeremy

CStrickland
04/05/2016, 09:28 PM
Ok I'll stick with the sprayer. Thanks for the quick response.

I remembered where I got the bleach thing, it's in the FAQ on your website http://spectrapure.com/frequently-asked-questions But I wasn't sure if the zeta zorb was the sort of pleated filter they were talking about.
HOW DO I CLEAN MY PLEATED SEDIMENT FILTER?
STEP 1: Mix together 1 Tablespoon of bleach per each gallon of water 1. You will need approximate 5 gallons of water.
STEP 2: Place the Pleated filter in the water mixture and soak for 1/2 hour.
STEP 3: Spray off the Pleated filter with a hose until the filter has no chlorine odor.

SpectraPure
04/05/2016, 09:31 PM
Ok I'll stick with the sprayer. Thanks for the quick response.

I remembered where I got the bleach thing, it's in the FAQ on your website http://spectrapure.com/frequently-asked-questions But I wasn't sure if the zeta zorb was the sort of pleated filter they were talking about.

I will check on that for you! Thanks for the 411

Jeremy

atraperegrinus
07/04/2016, 09:43 PM
you can rinse out the zetasorbs? i didn't even know you could do that.

SpectraPure
07/08/2016, 11:22 AM
The pleated filter is really the washable one, but you can spray off a zetazorb. The problem is that if you damage the fins the filter is useless. I run a 0.35 pleated in front of my zetazorb.

atraperegrinus
07/09/2016, 07:39 PM
The pleated filter is really the washable one, but you can spray off a zetazorb. The problem is that if you damage the fins the filter is useless. I run a 0.35 pleated in front of my zetazorb.

how many times do you feel you could rinse the pleated before it would need full replacement?

i have low tds but very high in SOMEthing that causes my sediments to plug very fast, right now i throw $3 1-5 micron filters in front of the zetasorb, and they turn dark orange/red within 500 gallons. which is only one fill up of my brute can. by replacing that first filter more often, my zetasorb stays clean for a pretty long time now.

edit: please post the info here about how to clean these properly when you get it figured out for sure, so i know for future reference! thank you! :)

SpectraPure
07/11/2016, 09:30 PM
maybe 5. it all depends. Put a pressure gauge before and after. We actually have an assembly for such. When the psi no longer goes back up some after washing it, it will be toast.

Jeremy

CStrickland
07/11/2016, 10:08 PM
how many times do you feel you could rinse the pleated before it would need full replacement?

i have low tds but very high in SOMEthing that causes my sediments to plug very fast, right now i throw $3 1-5 micron filters in front of the zetasorb, and they turn dark orange/red within 500 gallons. which is only one fill up of my brute can. by replacing that first filter more often, my zetasorb stays clean for a pretty long time now.

edit: please post the info here about how to clean these properly when you get it figured out for sure, so i know for future reference! thank you! :)

My water is like yours. I've had the same di for a year and a half but I've been through several sediment filters.

To be clear, it seems like the zeta sorb is not the pleated filter they are talking about refreshing with bleach. Spectrapure sells another one too. I found that rinsing the zetazorb with my sink sprayer bought a little time, but it clogged back up again more quickly than a new one would. And the second time I rinsed it I only got 50 or so more gallons of production water (so it filtered like 200 since the ro rejects after the sediment). It was also super gross to see the stuff that came out. I bought a Brita for my drinking water like the next day ;)

After that I tried the bleach. The seal parts fell off the zetazorb, but they might have just been worn out from spraying and being handled. The plastic mesh over the filter went to, it got loose and floppy. Again, these filters aren't meant to be handled and sprayed hard. After all that I still only got another 30-40g of product. I use a dry erase marker to draw a line on my filter gauge when I put a new sediment filter on, that way I can see the pressure dropping as it gets full.

I wound up with a similar rig to yours. Once I drill down on the best micron rating to efficiently prefilter the crud for the zetazorb I think I will be all set. For now I'm playing with diff prefilters. I my case the 1 micron seems to need replacing the most often. I live in a super old apartment building, I think the pipes are just grody.

Sorry if that's too much info for the sponsor forum. I know this is supposed to be just for the sponsors to answer, but once I saw other members having similar issues I figured I would share my experience as well. And it's an opportunity for spectrapure to "check my work" as far as confirming that I'm on the right track with my system. Thanks again for your help Jeremy!

Dolmo5000
07/12/2016, 12:37 AM
wow. I thought that they were talking about the zetazorb and have been bleaching mine for about 4 months. I have a bit better results than above but will have to pay more attention now that I know I am using the wrong method. previously I simply sprayed out like others.

SpectraPure
07/12/2016, 05:29 PM
This thread is for everyone that uses our products. Feel free to chime in. The pleated is best for reuse. The zetazorb my get a couple uses out of it. Keep trying fellas.

Jeremy