PDA

View Full Version : Lamarck Angel started out as model citizen...

Syntax1325
04/05/2016, 02:46 PM
...after 9 months he started nipping at a couple colonies of birdsnest. I didn't panic at first because he was staying away from my acros... Well, that has changed... he's a terror and has to go.

I knew the risk when I got him and now I have to figure out how to remove him.... Any suggestions? The trap thing doesn't seem to be working... I've caught my Solon Wrasse about 8 times!

sooooooo frustrating!

ThRoewer
04/05/2016, 04:42 PM
Sometimes a barbless fishing hook is the last resort.

BTW, are you feeding enough?

Syntax1325
04/05/2016, 05:03 PM
Sometimes a barbless fishing hook is the last resort.

BTW, are you feeding enough?

I may try the hook; however, the fish is pretty timid and i'd probably end up catching a few others first.

I think I'm feeding enough but a little more couldn't hurt.

ThRoewer
04/05/2016, 05:10 PM
You and the fish have obviously different ideas how much food is enough.

As for catching the fish with a hook - if you see another fish going for it just pull it away.

vhuang168
04/05/2016, 07:41 PM
Lamarcks are of the genus Genicanthus. They are zooplankivores and are considered practically guaranteed reef safe.

Picture?

Syntax1325
04/06/2016, 06:29 AM
Lamarcks are of the genus Genicanthus. They are zooplankivores and are considered practically guaranteed reef safe.

Picture?

Well, someone forget to tell this one that he was not supposed to nip at corals.... He's eaten one birdsnest almost completely, got about 50% of my Birds of Paradise and is now working on an acro.

Picture?? For what reason?

falconut
04/06/2016, 08:33 PM

Picture?

They are one of the safer angel species, never a guarantee. My Lamarck nipped badly at my acans & clam, I removed them & hasn't bothered any other. Always a gamble. I did pull her out with a bottle trap, but then put her back after removing the clam. Good luck. Eventually she went in the trap after catching other fish first.

suta4242
04/07/2016, 03:23 PM
You and the fish have obviously different ideas how much food is enough.

Yeah, don't know if it's the case here but totally agree. Enough food of the right kind at frequent intervals, isn't always available.

?

My LFS has their weekly shipment of butterflies and angels in tanks where they're often together. Just as some hard to teach butterflies learn to eat frozen from less fussy individuals and Angels, the Angels learn from them too. Sometimes half dead acro colonies are placed in these tanks as extra food for the butterflies. To date I have seen pyramids, bellus and even a rabbit fish join in the acro feeding frenzy! :facepalm:

In short, in the artificial confines of our tanks, fish often behave differently than they do in the wild. So while you can do your best to moderate this behaviour, once it happens you need to decide what to do. :twitch:

:wave:

BeanMachine
04/07/2016, 03:27 PM

Picture?

I recently removed a Bellus from my display that developed a taste for nipping the skirts of my zoas.

**Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse... I see others also quoted you before I got down to the bottom hehe ... I really liked that fish.