PDA

View Full Version : skimmer for new 450 g system

O.Rubin
04/05/2016, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

Who is the sponser of bubble king who can help decide skimmer model if any?
scott?

Thanks
Omri

slief
04/05/2016, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

Who is the sponser of bubble king who can help decide skimmer model if any?
scott?

Thanks
Omri

What size is your display? What are your stocking plans? You really don't want to base these skimmers on total system volume. Instead you want to base your decision on display size. Reason being is that skimmers are based on theoretical loads. We stock our display and not our sumps. Our sumps help to remove waste as opposed to contributing to the amount of waste. Also, unlike many other skimmers on the market, Bubble King skimmers are conservately rated. As such, you really don't want or need to oversize them. They work best when sized appropriately to the load. Knowing the size of your display and your fish load plans will be very helpful in determining which skimmers in the line up would be best suited for your tank.

O.Rubin
04/06/2016, 03:15 AM
Ok thanks, so my display tank is 1070 litter which is about 300 gallon and im have anouther 100G tank that is rooted to the same sump.

its gonna be fowlr with heavy stock - angels, tangs, butterfly..

slief
04/06/2016, 10:37 AM
Ok thanks, so my display tank is 1070 litter which is about 300 gallon and im have anouther 100G tank that is rooted to the same sump.

its gonna be fowlr with heavy stock - angels, tangs, butterfly..

For that sized display and stock, my first choice would be the Supermarin 200. You could with a Supermarin 250 but the 200 will prove more consistent. I run the SM250 on a 480 gallon display with over 50 fish in it. My system is about 650 gallons in total. These skimmers are very conservatively rated and work best when sized appropriately. The other alternative would be a Double Cone 250. It's body design and construction is a bit different than the Supermarin so it's a bit less efficient and has a lower system capability for it size. It's also made from a little lighter material than the Supermarin and has an extruded body vs a hand welded body where the upper body meets the cylinder. Both skimmers are great choices and both feature the RD3 variable speed skimmer pump.

So my suggestions would be:

Supermarin 200: heavier construction (very heavy material) and more efficient design. Very well suited for wet skimming.

Double Cone 250: Lighter construction, slightly less efficient design in terms of load capability for it's size. Increased size.

Both are great skimmers and either would work great in your system.