PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9001 magnet orientation

scottmckinney67
04/06/2016, 05:49 PM
Roger,

First a comment. Just got a 9001 and the skimmer sags, will not sit level in the factory shipped orientation. I expected better...

Now for the questions: I have this thing in an IM fusion 20. Cleanest way to mount it would be with the magnet on the long side of the skimmer body. I'm leery of popping the magnet out of the back tabs as I've heard they break easily. Should I order a spare set of mags and glue one to the side? If I do, I'd prefer slightly larger just for piece of mind. What do you suggest? What adhesive would hold best yet be safe?

Thanks,
Scott

rvitko
04/07/2016, 09:39 AM
We glue this plastic at the factory with Henkel Tangit, I have yet to find a US source and while we used to bring it in, it is no longer permitted in our shipments because it is flammable. Testors model cement or a general ABS/PVC cement will work but a thickened product is easier to work with so avoid the watery stuff in the cans at hardware stores. I really see no need for a stronger magnet and if the unit sags, I would suspect the tabs are already damaged and we are happy to replace the body, but if you were going to move the magnet anyway, I would remove it and glue it on. For a 20 gallon tank the magnets are plenty strong.

scottmckinney67
04/07/2016, 09:47 AM
Thanks Roger. I'll remove the existing magnet and make it work. If the tabs are broken, I'll let you know for a warranty replacement body. I have to say, the skimmer is quiet, starting to produce skimmate after just one day, and the microbubbles are practically non-existent in the factory shipped configuration. Overall, very pleased. Please pass along to the product managers that these small skimmers need to have multiple mounting methods in order to fit the small AIO tanks. The more tanks they fit, the more they will sell. It can be mounted in my tank without changing, but that's just not the cleanest, most flexible way.

rvitko
04/07/2016, 10:45 AM
Thank you for the feedback.

scottmckinney67
04/13/2016, 06:39 PM
Roger,

The tabs are unbroken. The unit does sag slightly with undamaged tabs. Also, the lid is too tight. I've read of these issues before. I'm not asking for help with mine, I took care of my issues by side mount of magnet and fine grit sand paper to the lid and lip it fits into. I shouldn't have to sand a brand new skimmer to make the lid come off smoothly. And it certainly shouldn't sag as it does. Just seems to me that Tunze would have caught these during testing or listened to feedback from other folks and fixed the lid.

Good news, it's quiet and is starting to really pull some skimmate. I'm satisfied with the purchase because the product is quiet and effective. I'm hoping when I buy my next Tunze product, I'll be happy versus merely satisfied.

rvitko
04/14/2016, 08:56 AM
We definitely are listening and constantly updating products, most products see an improvement every 6 months. Unfortunately, implementing a fix can take a little longer than many of us would like. The lid problem you describe is actually intentional, that will not change, we want to keep the lid from being lifted off by foam as if the lid stays on securely, the skimmer cannot foam over and cause any flooding or overflow. But we are working on the sag issue, it does require though that the molds be taken down and changed and that brings production to a halt so it will wait until summer, it is an issue of consistency and tolerances and does not affect every unit. Usually a change of the body or magnet will resolve it, but we already have a fix planned.

scottmckinney67
04/14/2016, 09:11 AM
Roger,

Would you pass this along to the Tunze design team?

The lid should be snug. It's beyond snug on mine. It's too tight. Two hands and firm pressure to remove. Since the skimmer sits so low in an all in one tank, removing the cup lid is the easiest way to check skimmate level and it's a flat out pain in the a$$. If you're checking skimmate periodically as you should, the cup shouldn't be over full.

I have the 9012 model. Better mag mount (no tabs) and the cup fits as it should.

rvitko
04/14/2016, 09:20 AM
What you see on the 9012 is what is planned on the 9001 (magnet attachment). I have not encountered a lid that fit that tight, I am sorry for the problems, they do generally fit snug, more so than the 9012 or 9004 simply because the air escape/foamover stop is different for the size.