PDA

View Full Version : Buying wholesale?

Dave0331
04/06/2016, 08:38 PM
Is it possible to buy fish or corals from a distributor of you have a businesses license? I'm asking because in the area we have a store call restaurants depot. That's where resturants get their food from and only way to shop there is too have a license. Well long story short my mother in law has a business license for her work(not food. Medical) and they accepted it and now we get food at wholesale. So I'm wondering if that would work for a distributor in our hobby too?

champion6sigma
04/06/2016, 08:54 PM
Seems like best thing to do is contact directly the companies you are interested in. I would assume it all depends on volume you buy and commitment, length you will purchase

stephenhall1987
04/07/2016, 09:29 AM
I'm sure each company has their own rules. qualitymarine.com requires you to have an aquarium related storefront.

champion6sigma
04/08/2016, 12:53 AM
I'm sure each company has their own rules. qualitymarine.com requires you to have an aquarium related storefront.

or a zoo :)

d-man
04/08/2016, 10:05 AM
You need to have a business related resellers license. Ie aquarium store, aquarium service, or online store. Some as stated above want only store fronts. Others require X amount of years of time if it's a service business.
You will need to provide your recent resellers permit #to the stores as well, so they do check

zchauvin
04/08/2016, 10:08 AM
You need to have a business related resellers license. Ie aquarium store, aquarium service, or online store. Some as stated above want only store fronts. Others require X amount of years of time if it's a service business.
You will need to provide your recent resellers permit #to the stores as well, so they do check

Not necessarily, there are many loopholes.

d-man
04/08/2016, 10:10 AM
I have accounts with 3 here in SoCal. It's what they required. I tried more but they were not willing since I didn't have storefront or even time as a service company

Dave0331
04/08/2016, 12:11 PM
O just wanted to buy some for myself instead of lfs. Guese I can't .that would be too easy

champion6sigma
04/08/2016, 12:18 PM
I'm sure exceptions can be made if you are buying huge constant orders. But if trying to just pay less than online or local lfs, to stock a home aquarium or even a few....that probably wouldn't be allowed. Everyone would do it.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using taptalk

alton
04/08/2016, 12:44 PM
I had a friend who had a business out of garage and he was lucky to find one wholesaler to sell him fish at a reduced cost. Most would not sell to him either because he did not have a store front or the minimum order was too high.

PorkChop
04/22/2016, 01:28 PM
I have a small business that I run online (not fish/coral related) and what people said is correct. In finding supplies for mine, they all had different rules. It would be up to them as to if they would or would not.

Most companies won't let you buy direct, but only though a reseller, but I have one place that I buy direct. It all depends.

Doesn't hurt to try.. but some places will close your account and not allow you to buy anymore if you don't consistently buy from them. So you might get a few orders though...

-Porkchop

sk8ter20art
05/01/2016, 02:26 AM
As a storeowner there are a few things.

Most have a minimum order of $400+, some are solely brick and morter. It varies from state to state on what license you need. For georgia a business license is required along with a pet dealers license.

jayball
05/09/2016, 03:36 PM
Is it possible to buy fish or corals from a distributor of you have a businesses license? I'm asking because in the area we have a store call restaurants depot. That's where resturants get their food from and only way to shop there is too have a license. Well long story short my mother in law has a business license for her work(not food. Medical) and they accepted it and now we get food at wholesale. So I'm wondering if that would work for a distributor in our hobby too?

Curious, wouldn't this be tax evasion, the sales tax specifically?

I honestly do not know, but if you are not reselling the goods and buying true wholesale...

If you are just looking for case quantity at a discount than this is the only one I know of www.livestockusa.org

sixpackgarage
05/09/2016, 03:52 PM
a quality wholesale company will never sell to the public. That's a big no-no. If you have some random unrelated business, they still shouldn't sell to you.

Reeferz412
05/09/2016, 03:56 PM
Here in FL, you need a business license, saltwater products license, and obviously a business related to the industry. Some places are more stringent than others when it comes to the brick and mortar policy. If you run a successful online store, you may be allowed to purchase wholesale so long as you have all the proper documents listed above.