PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to the British Virgin Islands?

Larz_1
04/08/2016, 01:50 PM
The wife and I have been to Hawaii many times and are looking to go somewhere different this summer.

Snorkeling and exploring - no diving due to her ear problems

Looking at The British Virgin Islands - specifically looking at Tortola and Anegada.

Anyone been?
Any reviews/suggestions?

Thanks.

AZRippster
04/08/2016, 01:58 PM
I do not have any first hand experience with the British VI, but I have had several friends dive Puerto Rico and they were not impressed. I think I would head more south, or even Bonaire.

Larz_1
04/08/2016, 02:06 PM
Yep.
We've been to PR and were not impressed with the snorkeling.
Loved hiking the rain forest and kayaking the bio-luminescent bay, though.

We've been reading a lot and have seen a lot of good things, just looking for any first hand experience.

AZRippster
04/08/2016, 02:10 PM
The water may be exceptionally clear, but as far as life, well, so-so. Snorkeling can also be a limiting factor, but I understand the "ears" thing. My daughter has that and I don't know how many times we were held up trying to descend or even cutting dives short due to it.

snorvich
04/09/2016, 10:59 AM
The wife and I have been to Hawaii many times and are looking to go somewhere different this summer.

Snorkeling and exploring - no diving due to her ear problems

Looking at The British Virgin Islands - specifically looking at Tortola and Anegada.

Anyone been?
Any reviews/suggestions?

Thanks.

I have been to Tortola nine times. Stay at Sugarmill!!! Rent a four wheel drive vehicle. Highly recommended. And the food is to die for.

Larz_1
04/09/2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks snorvich,

We will check it out.

steallife904
04/11/2016, 12:22 PM
I have been to Hawaii and went to St Thomas, St Martin last year... While I enjoyed my time snorkeling the islands it was not even close to Hawaii. The reefs I saw in Hawaii where just another level compared to any of the reefs I ever visited in the Caribbean islands. I will say though the snorkeling in St Thomas was very clear water and had lots of fish, just seemed to me to not have as many SPS coral and not as much color...... also got stung by a jellyfish while snorkeling in St Thomas, lol....

snorvich
04/11/2016, 04:46 PM
I have been to Hawaii and went to St Thomas, St Martin last year... While I enjoyed my time snorkeling the islands it was not even close to Hawaii. The reefs I saw in Hawaii where just another level compared to any of the reefs I ever visited in the Caribbean islands. I will say though the snorkeling in St Thomas was very clear water and had lots of fish, just seemed to me to not have as many SPS coral and not as much color...... also got stung by a jellyfish while snorkeling in St Thomas, lol....

Sure, but there are even better places, but the OP asked about BVI.

ssscuz
04/16/2016, 07:25 AM
We went on holiday from Melbourne, Australia all the way to the Caribbean.
My wife and I went diving for 1 day at Tortola, two dives on the ship wreck rms rhone. There was a lot of catamarans around with people snorkelling nearby.
Weather was fantastic and exceptional visibility.
We can in via cruise ship so did not see around the island.

PatW
04/17/2016, 01:53 PM
I have scuba dived in the Virgin Islands out of Virgin Gorda. There are some pretty decent sites for snorkeling. The area is over fished so you will not see large snapper or grouper.

snorvich
04/19/2016, 12:10 PM
The Rhone is good, but there is a better one out further

nuttyd
04/19/2016, 12:14 PM
Try Isla Roatan. amazing corals there

Dmorty217
04/20/2016, 01:59 PM
Have been to the BVI many times but never went diving and snorkeled only a little. The Baths are a cool place to check out. Willy Ts, Soggy Dollar and Foxys are all awesome places on "land"

InOrderToBeAble
04/20/2016, 07:07 PM
All of the islands have phenomonenal diving on north and south sides. Clean water. I was surprised to see blk cap bassetes all the way into 40 foot of depth also swiss guards are everywhere.