PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!!

linelife1474
04/08/2016, 09:02 PM
Green algae growth and lite cayno growth what's causing this problem :deadhorse1:

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 3
Ph 8.1
Cal 450
Alk 9.8
Mag 1280
Temp 78
Phosphates .07

How can I get rid of them???

Tank is 3 months old had a 55 for 9 months wanted bigger so upgraded to 120 48*24*24
Running t5s ati bulbs
Front to back as follows

Coral +
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
Blue +
Coral +

Blue + and purple + run 10 hrs a day

Coral + run 5 hrs a day simultaneously with blue+ and purple+

Blue and purple run from 11:30 to 9:30
Coral + run from 1:30 to 6:30

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

kegogut
04/08/2016, 09:15 PM
Do a 3 day black out. No lights of any kind for 3 days. Any livestock you have will be fine. If its in a well lit room you might have to wrap the tank in plastic or a blanket.

Also 12 weeks isnt a long time for a tank to mature. Did you add rock from your old tank? how much and how much rock is in your new system? Old sand or new sand? Is the algae on the rocks or and or both?

What livestock? How much do you feed? Skimmer?

linelife1474
04/08/2016, 09:47 PM
Do a 3 day black out. No lights of any kind for 3 days. Any livestock you have will be fine. If its in a well lit room you might have to wrap the tank in plastic or a blanket.

Also 12 weeks isnt a long time for a tank to mature. Did you add rock from your old tank? how much and how much rock is in your new system? Old sand or new sand? Is the algae on the rocks or and or both?

What livestock? How much do you feed? Skimmer?

Moved all rock over from 55 and added 50 pounds new. Added new sand. skimmer rated for 200 gallons can't remember name have to empty every 3 days. Sump and refugium lots of pods

Algae is just on certain rocks not all and none on sand

Feed every other day on non feeding day feed purple nori for kole tang

Tank info

Fish

yellow eye kole tang
Snowflake clown
Pec clown
6-line
Royal grama
Orange spot sandsifting goby
2 blue chromis
Cardinal

Inverts

45ish hermits
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
Yellow cucumber
Sand shifting star
30ish snails

Coral

Sps

Joe the coral
Cali tort
Red Monti cap
White tip deep water Arco
Firefly Arco
Madman austrea
Red planet
True garf bonsai
Green polyp birdsnest
Ice fire echinata
Tyree pink lemonade
And unknown Arco

Los

War coral
Rainbow Monti
Rainbow acans
Red and blue acans
Green and red acans
Pink and white acans
Spongebob favia
Incredible hulk leptoseris
Neon zebra strip favia
Bubble gum monster chalice
Hollywood stunner chalice
Green eye pink body blastos

Zoa's

Pandora's
Fire and ice
Miami hurricanes
Yellow deep water
Green star polyps

Softies

Duncan's
Purple tip hammer
Purple tip Octospawn
Green tip frogspawn

linelife1474
04/08/2016, 09:49 PM
And won't blackout affect coral? I am also running a carbon and gfo reactor for got to mention those gfo reactor has been running 2 days

Sapelo
04/09/2016, 05:26 AM
Slow down! You've added too much too fast. Your new tank is still new, hence the algae and cyano outbreak.
Focus on stable chemistry and give things time.

Three days of lights out should not impact coral too badly, blue lights only on day four so they can readjust.

Are you running a skimmer? Gfo? What do you have for flow inside the tank?

linelife1474
04/09/2016, 05:38 AM
Slow down! You've added too much too fast. Your new tank is still new, hence the algae and cyano outbreak.
Focus on stable chemistry and give things time.

Three days of lights out should not impact coral too badly, blue lights only on day four so they can readjust.

Are you running a skimmer? Gfo? What do you have for flow inside the tank?

Yes running skimmer and just added reactor with gfo running for 3 days now and most corals have been transferred from old tank.

All rock was transferred added new sand and about 50 pounds of new rock

linelife1474
04/09/2016, 05:39 AM
And have Rw15 powerheads and jebao dc1200 return pump for flow

uncleL
04/09/2016, 08:44 AM
I don't know what it is but correct me if I'm wrong every system I had T5 s I started to get hair algae once I switch to LEDs it went away. How long are you lights on in your system and your phosphate level?

billdogg
04/09/2016, 08:52 AM
The age of the bulbs may be a factor, but I'm with SLOW DOWN!!!

45 hermits? I hope you don't plan on ever having a snail!

You have more in your 12 week old 120 than I do in my 3 1/2 year old 120, and I moved everything from a well established 60g cube (it had been running for 22 years when I made the switch)

Algae and cyanobacteria are a normal part of ANY new tank.

linelife1474
04/09/2016, 09:22 AM
I have roughly 25 snails and hermits are very little I trade them in for little ones when they get large. And what do u guys mean by slow down? as in what I have? only added a few corals most are from transfer as stated

linelife1474
04/09/2016, 09:47 AM
I don't know what it is but correct me if I'm wrong every system I had T5 s I started to get hair algae once I switch to LEDs it went away. How long are you lights on in your system and your phosphate level?

Light times and levels posted above