PDA

View Full Version : Some help with my new Peacock...

gREEF stricken
04/09/2016, 09:45 AM
Brought him home a week ago and all he does is lay on his side bent in half. If I disturb him he reacts but doesn't swim away or smack my tweezers. He just thrashes open and closed...store mgr who is a really good gal said he's struggling to molt and to add some iodide. Added 75% of the dose recommended on bottle. This morning no change. Any thoughts?

Thanks
GS

nmotz
04/09/2016, 10:35 PM
Does he have a proper burrow? Pics? If there is no burrow for them to retreat inside, they will often just lie there motionless and will probably die at some point. I don't think it's a tough molt because that struggle would have ended by now with the animal either freeing itself or dying in the process.

gREEF stricken
04/09/2016, 10:39 PM
He went into a new tank with gulf live rock and no other animals. Rock came air cargo so minimal die off. Initially made burrow between rocks but low stays out in open.

Martini5788
04/10/2016, 12:57 PM
He went into a new tank with gulf live rock and no other animals. Rock came air cargo so minimal die off. Initially made burrow between rocks but low stays out in open.

What are your water parameters?

gREEF stricken
04/10/2016, 12:58 PM
I'm two minutes from the shop where I got him opening up. Will do a bunch of tests shortly and I will let you know.

GS

gREEF stricken
04/10/2016, 01:34 PM
Turns out water quality was not as good as I thought. Shame on me. I will do a big WC today and subsequent small WC's over next few days...fingers crossed he's not too far gone....:(

GS

Martini5788
04/10/2016, 01:57 PM
Turns out water quality was not as good as I thought. Shame on me. I will do a big WC today and subsequent small WC's over next few days...fingers crossed he's not too far gone....:(

GS

Ok well what were the numbers though?

gREEF stricken
04/10/2016, 02:05 PM
NO2...8-10
NO3...50+
Ammonia...(.5)

GS

EI Gringo
04/10/2016, 03:01 PM
Your tank hasn't finished cycling if it's new and that live rock wasnt cured if it's not a new tank. I had a nitrate spike when I had a peacock, 2 damsels and a filefish. Over night it went from 20 to 150 and the fish all died. Miraculously the peacock was still alive but struggling, after a huge water change and pulling out the small pile of food that was wedged behind a rock and caused my nitrate spike (filefish was not eating as well as I thought) my peacock slowly regained it's health and went on to live for the best part of a year altogether which wasn't horrendous considering it was already huge, it molted once after the crash and died in the classic old age stomatopod way, leaving it's burrowing and standing still slowly flapping it's pleopods until the last gentle waft ends.

Martini5788
04/10/2016, 04:29 PM
Ok yeah that's pretty bad. If it were me, I would put the peacock in a separate tank with brand new water. Do a few large water changes on the main tank and then add a bottle of biospira. Wait a few days and then put the peacock
Back in. And get some prime or amquel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nmotz
04/11/2016, 07:15 PM
Peacocks do need a "true" burrow, not just a crevice or overhang of live rock but an actual tunnel. PVC pipes work really well for burrows because we cannot actually imitate the animal's proper burrow that it would build in nature. These burrows are sometimes several feet in length which is obviously a no-go in aquariums. Get a 12-18" section of pipe that has a bend or two in it, cover it in epoxy and coat it in rubble and shells to disguise its appearance. This will make a great burrow. Good luck!

nmotz
04/11/2016, 07:20 PM
This is a video I made that shows the PVC pipe burrow that I use for my tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ejOxSlTQY

gREEF stricken
04/11/2016, 09:06 PM
Sorry, spent the day driving. Totally built him one before he ever arrive. He did not use it. I moved him to the sump of my most mature tank. Lots of rock. No light atm. Join he pulls through while his tank finishes cycling. Sure hope he bounces back.

GS

gREEF stricken
04/14/2016, 04:27 AM
Just thought I'd post an update. Since moving "Lenny" to the sump of my mature 90 he is showing great signs of recovery...:)

GS

nmotz
04/14/2016, 02:02 PM
Great news man!

gREEF stricken
04/14/2016, 09:47 PM
YES!!! He actually snatched a cube of my frozen home made food from my tweezers tonight.

GS