PDA

View Full Version : 2 Plumbing Questions concerning SCH or ABH?

ChitownBrickie
04/09/2016, 12:07 PM
I have Deep Blue 55 Gallon Reef Ready tank. I will be using the Herbie Method.
This tank came pre-drilled for 1” and ¾” bulkheads. The plumbing kit that came with the tank has two Schedule 40 bulkheads. I won’t be using the kit. I will use two Bulkhead ABS Thread x Slip (Thread on the Flange/Head side) so I can unscrew the 2 drain pipes in the overflow (for cleaning).
My first question:
Will schedule 80 Bulkheads fit in the pre-drilled holes, or should I stick with Schedule 40 bulkheads because that is what came with the tank? (I don’t know if the holes were cut with a 42mm & 48mm drill bit).
I like the look of Schedule 80 PVC because of its gray color.
My second Question:
From what I have read (if this is correct):
1. Aquariums are low pressure so it will not matter if I use schedule 40 or 80 PVC, but I should not mix Schedule 40 pipes/fittings with Schedule 80 pipes/fittings (Keep them all the same)? Or does this only apply with threaded fittings and not slip fittings?

aaronpentz
04/09/2016, 01:07 PM
Tank builders drill for schedule 40 bulkheads unless specifically told not to. So no schedule 80 bulkhead won't fit your tank. Well the 3/4 sch80 bulkhead will fit the larger hole but that won't do you any good

And you're correct there isn't any pressure on the tank plumbing other then the return side to warrant the schedule 80 plumbing

You can mix between the two with no issue or you could just buy all sch40 and paint it whatever color you want

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GimpyFin
04/09/2016, 08:18 PM
If you go onto coralvue's website, they sell some reef octopus sch80 bulkheads that come in various sizes. The 1" ones fit the same size holes as the 1" regular black abs/sch40 ones. They are really nice because they have seated o-rings instead of the regular washer style gasket.

Bent
04/10/2016, 12:12 AM
I don't understand why you would want sch80. It's a waste of money IMO.

If the color is a big deal just paint it.

Meshmez
04/10/2016, 12:29 AM
As far as I know you can use schedule 40 bulkheads. the difference between schedule 40 and schedule 80 pipe is on the ID. The OD is the same. however, you will have more restricted flow with the 80. my guess on the recommendation to not mix them is because of the difference in flow, im not sure it would make a huge difference though.

TONY_C
04/10/2016, 05:25 AM
Schedule 80 is a thicker wall so the inside diameter is smaller. If you want a different color than white, BRS sells colered pipe in schedule 40.

FamilyTank
04/10/2016, 06:21 AM
Sch 80 has an upwards psi rating of 1200,sch 40 is upwards of 800,plenty of overkill built in... sch 80 does have a somewhat smaller inside diam.

ChitownBrickie
04/10/2016, 07:33 AM
Tank builders drill for schedule 40 bulkheads unless specifically told not to. So no schedule 80 bulkhead won't fit your tank. Well the 3/4 sch80 bulkhead will fit the larger hole but that won't do you any good

And you're correct there isn't any pressure on the tank plumbing other then the return side to warrant the schedule 80 plumbing

You can mix between the two with no issue or you could just buy all sch40 and paint it whatever color you want

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks! that makes sense to me. it's good to know that I can mix then. I appreciate it