PDA

View Full Version : Cycle over?

davidgnome
04/10/2016, 09:30 PM
So my tank has been up for almost two weeks. I placed 2 table shrimps in after first week of no detected amonia spike. Still my amonia reads 0 but nitrate is between 5-10 salfert test. I used about 90 lbs of dry brs reef rock, and 40lbs reef rock from live aquaria. These got acid bath for dry rock, and cleaned in salt water for live rock, about a 1 week process. Then I started up my tank which is a 120, with live sand also. Question is my cycle over if Im detecting nitrate, and my bacteria is well enough to begin my fish additions slowly of course?

thegrun
04/10/2016, 10:06 PM
Two weeks seems fast, how high did the ammonia spike?

davidgnome
04/10/2016, 10:38 PM
Hey, yeah I thought so too. The amonia as far as I could tell through a few periodic tests(salfert) never did move above 0. But I do have detectable nitrates, am I correct in assuming if I have some level of nitrate then it had to have had some amonia in order to be converted into my now existing nitrate. Therefore, my cycle has taken place?

davidgnome
04/10/2016, 10:42 PM
Also, sorry but I just checked my posts and I actually filled the tank a week ago. So not two weeks time yet.

snorvich
04/11/2016, 03:38 AM
Also, sorry but I just checked my posts and I actually filled the tank a week ago. So not two weeks time yet.

Unlikely. Give it a full month, test often.

davidgnome
04/11/2016, 12:49 PM
Ok, will do, Thanks both ya'll.

davidgnome
04/14/2016, 09:12 AM
Ok, so nitrates are a bit higher, still no ammonia. Nitrates are 10, could this be a result of no skimming yet as it not broke in yet? Still wait?

Rubasu
04/14/2016, 09:29 AM
How often are you testing for ammonia? I would put in another shrimp and test often for a couple days. Maybe you're testing too late and missed the spike? I think it's still a bit early for it to be completely cycled, especially since you used dry rock.

scubadan206
04/14/2016, 10:23 AM
What kind of ammonia test are you using? I use an ammonia alert badge by Seachem. It's highest reading of "toxic" is almost unreadable by my other titration style kit.
Personally I would just use this as a warning that something is wrong, and just use a bacterial starter or two, or three... Either bottled or on something that is already fully established.
Then go slow in adding additional livestock until the total mature bacterial filter catches up and is established.

davidgnome
04/14/2016, 08:56 PM
I appreciate the help, let me be more specific so you guys can get a better idea of where Im at. Tank is on week 2 weeks of being up. I used live about 40 lbs live rock and 80 dry brs rock, also 80 lbs of live agra alive sand. I placed two table shrimp in a nylon panty hose a week ago to add amonia source. They are still in the tank. I also have lightly ghost feed pellets and flakes a few times. Not sure why something is wrong as stated above? Why do you think so? Could it not be that it is cycled already with all of the live rock n sand? Im getting a CUC in tomorrow and plan to qt, also doing TTM with a long nose butterfly and small starry blenny. Both are doing well thus far. Any help would be great. Also my Sg is a bit low at 1.20.

davidgnome
04/14/2016, 08:59 PM
Amonia kit is new salfert as is nitrate kit. Testing every day or every other sometimes. Nitrates went up alittle but Im also not exporting anything by water changes or skimming yet as its not broke in fully.

davidgnome
04/17/2016, 05:57 PM
If I could get a bit of an updated opinion on if I have cycled yet I would be grateful. So my tank consumed two table shrimps with no rise in ammonia, and my CUC has been in for two dsys with no increase in nitrate or ammonia. Is it safe to say I had a fairly quick cycle?

scubadan206
04/18/2016, 06:24 AM
Sounds reasonable. Go slow. Add something hardy first.

WWIII
04/18/2016, 07:18 AM
Go get ammonia in a bottle and dose to 3ppm if you truly want to know if you're cycled.

gallegos
04/20/2016, 04:10 PM
Looks good to me. If the rock you got from brs was clean and you had minimal die off, the 40lbs of rock you used was really mature and the sand was truly infract live then I say yes can be plausible. If give it a month just to make sure