PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 8 Gallon

Reeftankaquaman
04/10/2016, 09:33 PM
Hello, so I have a small 8 gallon tank 12 x 12 x 12.

It comes with an LED light that has 5 blue LED and 28 white ones. I have green star polyps in it and was wondering the difference in LEDs.

I have been reading and everything points out to the fact that I do not have enough light since my LEDs are just 1 W each.

What is the difference between 10 x 3W LEDs and 30 LEDs? That being said, can I just buy E27 socket 5W LEDs?

I ask because I have a housing for 4 E27 bulbs and was just gonna buy 2 white ones and 2 blue ones.

theatrus
04/11/2016, 08:49 AM
For a small cube like that, you have plenty of light (though a lot of white, I assume this was targeted at live plants?). For what its worth, GSP will grow in nearly any light.

What else, coral wise, are you planning on keeping? I wouldn't make a change just for GSP or soft corals.

Reeftankaquaman
04/11/2016, 05:44 PM
Thank you for your response. I ordered a 5W blue LED spot light to clip on to the tank as well. Can you have too much light?

At the moment, I do not plan on adding any more corals as I want to see if these green star polyps will survive.

In the future, I would basically add anything that is easy. I am not too picky on what I can add.

theatrus
04/11/2016, 07:07 PM
Thank you for your response. I ordered a 5W blue LED spot light to clip on to the tank as well. Can you have too much light?

Yes, it is possible :)

You probably won't see any effect with GSP though. A little bit of blue light will probably add a bit of pop from the GSPs - they fluoresce pretty well.